Norwegian Star - Nov 10th out of Venice

justin834

We are on the Norwegian Star out of Venice starting November 10th.  We just got an email  that the itinerary is changed due to mechanical issues.  I know that the Star was having issues on it's current voyage but we were hoping that those would have been resolved.  We lost the stop in Santorini which was our highlight of the trip and most other stops have a reduced in port time.  Additionally, we lost Kotor for Bar which would be OK but were only scheduled to be in Bar from 8:45PM to 10:45PM. That cannot be right.

Anyways, I guess were stuck with it and the fact that all NCL has only offered $100 per stateroom on board credit and 20% off a future cruise with them seems like a bit of a slap in the face considering it's a mechanical issues on their boat and not something unforeseen like rather or a medical issue. 

I’m on the  current voyage. One of the four engines blew on the prior cruise. We have two sea days (our Bar was cancelled day of bc of the windy conditions). During the CC Mix and Mingle they spoke to us about the situation. We have a sunny day in Argostoli today. Tomorrow will be our second sea day. 

Unfortunately, they will need to dry dock the ship to fix the engine as a hole needs to be cut into the ship. So no hope that things will improve. 

They gave us the 20% for a future cruise and $200 OBC per stateroom. Cruise before us only missed Dubrovnik and received $100 per person OBC. 

I too am on the ship. Consider yourself lucky if you indeed do make it to Mykonos because we have not stopped at that port as well. I have sailed approximately 27 cruises this one has been the only time I’ve been remotely sorry to have cruised especially with Norwegian.We have found the senior staff as well as guest services to be condescending in terms of being upset About the changes especially with no prior notification. They said they sent out a blanket notification but I And many others did not receive one. They also are not refunding port charges for missing Bar on the revised itinerary stating that they talked to Miami and Miami says that they have already given us a credit which was only supposed to be for the missed ports. Just not a good way to run a business in my humble thoughts. Oh and yeah we DID make the best if it so don’t bother going there. No need

1 hour ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

Any update on the repairs and current operations on the Star?

Our cruise is not until February, but we will be cruising pretty far south and have lots of miles to cover.

Me too.  My sailing leaves Barcelona for Miami on Nov. 22.

I'm a little worried that the engine work will be done by then for a transatlantic trip.

28 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

Me too.  My sailing leaves Barcelona for Miami on Nov. 22.

I'm a little worried that the engine work will be done by then for a transatlantic trip.

You actually don’t want it to be done. At this point, a major dry dock means that your cruise would be delayed. Lots of cruises can be cancelled. A TA can only be delayed. 

11 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You actually don’t want it to be done. At this point, a major dry dock means that your cruise would be delayed. Lots of cruises can be cancelled. A TA can only be delayed. 

Can you explain a little more?

I'm not sure that a ship this size can safely cross the Atlantic with one engine out.

With schedules as tight as they are on cruise schedules, I just don't see how they arrange large engine replacements with just cruise delays and not complete cruise cancellations.

Edited by The Wanderer_112358