Torn between Bliss and Getaway - traveling with 14 and 11

GettotheSun

Sorry for the length of this....although we have vacationed quite a bit, we've never been on a cruise before, so I've done a crazy amount of reading and research.  Long story short, I decided on NCL.  We are going during March due to school break, so really had to pick based on what was available that week.   We are travelling with our two sons who are age 14 and 11. 

My first pick was the Bliss sailing out of NYC to Bahamas and back, and I currently have this booked with a Haven suite (H8).  My reasons for picking was that NCL had the air promo when I booked and all 4 of us are flying from Toronto to NYC for $500, so that allowed me to spend more on the room and book the Haven cabin.  I also picked the Bliss because it looks like an incredible ship with the go-carts, laser tag, and arcade that I hope would keep the boys busy...albeit at additional cost.   I also wanted the Haven as leaving from NYC in mid-March, I am thinking this will be cold and having the heated / retractable roof area within the Haven would be a treat on the way down and on the way back. 

My second pick would be the Getaway out of NOLA.  I'd also try to get a Haven suite, but hoping for maybe an Aft Balcony as they don't have the equivalent H8 on the Getaway for a family of four.  First problem is cost, as the Aft Balcony would be more expensive, and I pay much more for flights.  What I like about the Getaway is the cruise itself will have (hopefully) nice weather for the 7 days.  Also the Getaway has more 'free' activities and ones that I think our boys would like more - the basketball court and the sports complex to me would much more appeal to a 14 year old especially.      

Here are my questions (be nice, I'm new):

(1) The Bliss cruise only has 3 ports (days 3/4/5) and because during March, I am worried that there won't be much for the boys to do for the first couple of days and the last couple of days, since it will likely be too cold for the waterslides; not sure how fun the go-carts or laster tag are wearing coats.  My partner and I would be very happy chilling in the Haven, especially the Horizon, but if the boys aren't having fun then we will be entertaining them.  Is there enough to do on the Bliss for especially a 14 year old?  

(2) I'm assuming if we stay in the Haven, it wouldn't be too hard to get reservations for the go-carts and laser tag, but I really wonder how much this ends up costing?  If they really like it, I'm worried how easy it will be to get more reservations as everyone will be thinking the same thing, but a week-long pass is US$200 each...what?  If they don't really use the go-carts and laser tag, then again, what are they doing all week?

(3) For the Getaway, can anyone speak to this (or really any ship with a sports complex) as to how popular it is with the tweens or early teens?  I think our boys would like this more  - in the long run - than go-carts or laser tag, particularly if they make friends on the ship.  So another question is would the Getaway be also more conducive to the kids making friends and doing stuff together during the day?  The boys love the idea of the go-carts, but we've been on go-carts many times before, so I wonder how soon till this "novelty" wears off?

(4) For both the Bliss and Getaway - because we would likely be in a Haven room outside of the Haven, I have read a fair bit about that the service is the same.  I was just curious if anyone stayed in a Haven room (outside of the Haven) and felt any negative implications of doing so?  Just a general question, although I do wonder in particular if by staying in the H8 on the Bliss, will it be ackward spending lots of time in the Haven during the cooler days down and back?

The things keeping me with the Bliss are: I do love the Bliss layout, especially for the Haven.  Cost is about $3500 cheaper!   But am I spending alot on the Bliss only to end up regretting it?

Edited by GettotheSun

22 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

I was just curious if anyone stayed in a Haven room (outside of the Haven) and felt any negative implications of doing so? 

None. You can get a great butler or a not so great butler in any suite location. They rotate every few weeks.

22 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

Just a general question, although I do wonder in particular if by staying in the H8 on the Bliss, will it be ackward spending lots of time in the Haven during the cooler days down and back?

Nobody knows/cares which suite location you have. Guests and staff treat you the same in either case.

Bliss over Getaway,....easy choice (with or without the couple of bad Getaway reviews posted recently...)

Edited by Two Wheels Only

59 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

None. You can get a great butler or a not so great butler in any suite location. They rotate every few weeks.

Nobody knows/cares which suite location you have. Guests and staff treat you the same in either case.

Bliss over Getaway,....easy choice (with or without the couple of bad Getaway reviews posted recently...)

Thanks for your response - that's great.  

Still not 100% sure Bliss vs. Getaway, but as you have probably surmised it is my kids that are making me second guess what I thought was the perfect first cruise!

17 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Bliss, Get them the unlimited arcade pass ..... good for games by The Local as well. 

That's a good idea; is that something I need to buy on board?  I also couldn't find the cost of an unlimited pass (I would need 2).

Just now, GettotheSun said:

That's a good idea; is that something I need to buy on board?  I also couldn't find the cost of an unlimited pass (I would need 2).

They go on sale online under your booking at the 60 day mark. You only need to buy one. They can share .....

Sorry one other thing I was considering (for the Bliss cruise specifically) was adding the wifi streaming package.  It isn't that much money and I thought if it works at all decently, the boys could share my iPad and watch Netflix or YouTube if they got bored.  What a world we live in. 

2 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

Sorry one other thing I was considering (for the Bliss cruise specifically) was adding the wifi streaming package.  It isn't that much money and I thought if it works at all decently, the boys could share my iPad and watch Netflix or YouTube if they got bored.  What a world we live in. 

You can download movies before your trip, if you have space on your iPad. Don’t need to waste minutes on the ship. 

12 minutes ago, dd likes to cruise said:

You can download movies before your trip, if you have space on your iPad. Don’t need to waste minutes on the ship. 

Thanks, yes I did also think of this and the boys will download to their devices (not alot of space to store).  They tend to watch these on the plane or the first day and then be bored.  That's why the streaming would be great if it worked well.

I have a slightly different opinion here. We stayed in aft Haven on Getaway and then in Haven on Escape and I'd say there is a huge difference in attentiveness of the staff -- and the walk to the Haven is really far.

Having said that, the NYC trip -- you are absolutely right. It will be cold for first couple and last couple of days.  You do get free movies in the Haven.

We traveled out of New Orleans last Christmas and really loved it. It's warmer even in December. And we love the Getaway. We have not yet sailed the Bliss -- but our boys, now 16, 15 and 10, absolutely love the ropes course and all of the outside things to do on the Getaway -- that are free. We have been on Getaway twice, Breakaway once and Escape once -- Escape is our fav ship hands down, but we really loved Getaway & Breakaway.They all have the ropes course. We are headed on the Encore in Dec. and I am very worried about the cost of the Go Karts, Galaxy VR stuff and if we'll ever get to do outside laser tag -- no more ropes course, mini golf or other free things to do like that (although Bliss has mini golf).

Just a slightly different perspective. Hope that's helpful.

We have 4 kids, 3 girls and a boy and they ranged from 8 - 16 on our first cruise. 

They were stoked just to be on a ship.  We could have had zero kids things on the ship and they would have been happy eating all the food (I am sure the boys will love the unlimited food and desserts).  And since you are going in March (Assuming that its spring break) there will be plenty of other kids to hang out with.  I guarantee they will be in the Entourage the whole time and st some point, not even really care about the other stuff to do.

I think you are over thinking this.  Plus you are in the Haven.  When my kids were in the Haven they tried out the water slide and the other stuff to do but always ended up back in the Haven loving the attention from the Haven staff and the Gummy Bears and MnM's and their own pool.  Enjoy your vacation and let the kids find their own way.  You will have an amazing experience in the Haven and they will be plenty occupied discovering the ship and making their own way.  My kids love the independence they get on a cruise.  They are responsible and well mannered but love being able to go do things on their own without Mom and Dad following them every step of the way (Or so they think...hahaha)

-Sean

PS - Plus you can always do the Getaway next year 🙂

Edited by wilmingtech
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kfamilycruise said:

I have a slightly different opinion here. We stayed in aft Haven on Getaway and then in Haven on Escape and I'd say there is a huge difference in attentiveness of the staff -- and the walk to the Haven is really far.

Having said that, the NYC trip -- you are absolutely right. It will be cold for first couple and last couple of days.  You do get free movies in the Haven.

We traveled out of New Orleans last Christmas and really loved it. It's warmer even in December. And we love the Getaway. We have not yet sailed the Bliss -- but our boys, now 16, 15 and 10, absolutely love the ropes course and all of the outside things to do on the Getaway -- that are free. We have been on Getaway twice, Breakaway once and Escape once -- Escape is our fav ship hands down, but we really loved Getaway & Breakaway.They all have the ropes course. We are headed on the Encore in Dec. and I am very worried about the cost of the Go Karts, Galaxy VR stuff and if we'll ever get to do outside laser tag -- no more ropes course, mini golf or other free things to do like that (although Bliss has mini golf).

Just a slightly different perspective. Hope that's helpful.

Thank you, I do wonder if the boys wouldn’t love the ropes course and the basketball court.  Then again, they’ve never experienced it so I guess they wouldn’t know what they are missing! lol

13 hours ago, wilmingtech said:

We have 4 kids, 3 girls and a boy and they ranged from 8 - 16 on our first cruise. 

They were stoked just to be on a ship.  We could have had zero kids things on the ship and they would have been happy eating all the food (I am sure the boys will love the unlimited food and desserts).  And since you are going in March (Assuming that its spring break) there will be plenty of other kids to hang out with.  I guarantee they will be in the Entourage the whole time and st some point, not even really care about the other stuff to do.

I think you are over thinking this.  Plus you are in the Haven.  When my kids were in the Haven they tried out the water slide and the other stuff to do but always ended up back in the Haven loving the attention from the Haven staff and the Gummy Bears and MnM's and their own pool.  Enjoy your vacation and let the kids find their own way.  You will have an amazing experience in the Haven and they will be plenty occupied discovering the ship and making their own way.  My kids love the independence they get on a cruise.  They are responsible and well mannered but love being able to go do things on their own without Mom and Dad following them every step of the way (Or so they think...hahaha)

-Sean

PS - Plus you can always do the Getaway next year 🙂

Thanks, that’s really good advice, and I agree - I think I am overthinking this!  

Our boys are well behaved as well, so I’m not concerned there...more so boredom, but as you say there should be tons of kids on board.  It is unfortunate that due to their ages they both can’t be in the teen club, but that would be the case regardless of the ship.

I have to admit when I told my 14 year old he could have steak for dinner practically every night, he was pretty much sold!  So long as they can make some friends I’m sure they will be well entertained!

5 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

Thank you, I do wonder if the boys wouldn’t love the ropes course and the basketball court.  Then again, they’ve never experienced it so I guess they wouldn’t know what they are missing! lol

I have cruised with teen boys (and girls), mine would miss the sports deck, especially at 11, because none of mine liked the tween club (10 -12). A lot of schools in the NYC area have spring break in April, but I’m sure there will still be kids from other areas. I think it warms up quickly as you go south, they’d be in the pool by day 2. The Bliss does have the observation deck for more usable indoor space. 

We did the Getaway in January and didn’t really like the ship that much, and found the Garden Cafe so-so.  We just came back from the Bliss last week.  It was doing a few cruises on the Mexican Riviera before it makes it way back to the east coast.  I must say the Bliss was outstanding!  Food in Garden Cafe better and movement about the ship easier due to less cabins and more interior space.

We are a retired couple and loved the Observation Room on the Bliss.  The Getaway doesn’t have a room like that and you felt confined.  If I had children with me, I think they would like either ship.....but since you are debating about the cooler weather with the NYC departure, I would be inclined to choose the Getaway.  The water slides are so much fun for the kids and they would be able to use the outdoor stuff every day.  Not much to do inside the ships ( for kids) so pick the ship with the warm weather!  And NYC in March is still very cold.  

When we cruised the Bliss and Getaway, we had free air.  We found out that you could do an air deviation and fly in a day early so in case of inclement weather, you have some wiggle room.  Free air is available out of New Orleans quite often so keep your eyes open for the special.   One thing to keep in mind is that it could be worrisome to fly out in March due to weather problems....and doing the Bliss out of NYC eliminates all that stress.

I think the kids will enjoy either cruise.  Another thing, you will have more New Yorkers on the Bliss and that might be good for the kids as there would be spring breakers from your area.

Good luck in your decisions and have a great cruise, whatever you choose.  I can see that this is a difficult choice!🤔

2 hours ago, gymbomb said:

I would do Getaway. The itinerary is so much better that time of year, and much more of the entertainment for the kids is free. 

You're killing me!! lol

Yes, this my big struggle.  My boys do like to be active, although I wonder if my 11 year old would really like the ropes course...he's a bit afraid of heights, so that may squash that benefit.

2 hours ago, mcgmari said:

We are a retired couple and loved the Observation Room on the Bliss.  The Getaway doesn’t have a room like that and you felt confined.  If I had children with me, I think they would like either ship.....but since you are debating about the cooler weather with the NYC departure, I would be inclined to choose the Getaway.  The water slides are so much fun for the kids and they would be able to use the outdoor stuff every day.  Not much to do inside the ships ( for kids) so pick the ship with the warm weather!  And NYC in March is still very cold.  

Totally agree.  I feel like it could be a 3 day sunny vacation and 4 days holed up inside...

When we cruised the Bliss and Getaway, we had free air.  We found out that you could do an air deviation and fly in a day early so in case of inclement weather, you have some wiggle room.  Free air is available out of New Orleans quite often so keep your eyes open for the special.   One thing to keep in mind is that it could be worrisome to fly out in March due to weather problems....and doing the Bliss out of NYC eliminates all that stress

I did get the free air package when I booked the cruise out of NYC - super cheap, and I figure they would send us direct from Toronto to NYC, maybe at worst route us through Montreal (if Air Canada...as seemingly every Air Canada flight east of Manitoba MUST be routed through Montreal to justify the airport's existence).  I'm going to check with NCL to confirm the flight costs for NOLA - when I was thinking of booking NOLA on the Getaway before, they quoted me CAD$3,000 for the 4 of us, but I have a feeling we would have at least 1 connection if not 2.

I think the kids will enjoy either cruise.  Another thing, you will have more New Yorkers on the Bliss and that might be good for the kids as there would be spring breakers from your area.

Good luck in your decisions and have a great cruise, whatever you choose.  I can see that this is a difficult choice!🤔

Thanks!  I'm going to debate it with my partner a bit more, not sure if I will re-engage the kids as it may just confuse them!

So we made the decision to switch to the Getaway for our cruise during the March school break.  Flying into New Orleans a day in advance to ease my anxiety, haha, and also see a bit of the French Quarter, I hope.  I also decided to mitigate my older son's anxiety on multiple (connecting) flights so used my air miles and just got direct flights to New Orleans.  

Booked the last Haven Aft cabin on deck 14...wondering a bit how noisy it will be from Spice H2O each night, but seems to have differing opinions based on what I've read. 

Most importantly, the balcony looks amazing as do the views, so really looking forward to that.  Also being on deck 14 is closer to the Haven as we'd just use the stairs, even if walking the whole length of the ship...work off the food and drinks! 

So looking forward to this cruise and discovering this big ship!