Best way to bring pop onboard?

We are sailing March 26th on Valor.

We (four of us) want bring 2 twelve packs (cans) of pop with us.

I've been told the bagage handling can be rough and not to put them in your suitcase or they may explode (I talked to someone who had this happen!)

Would plastic bottles be better?

Will we need to physically carry them on and keep them with us until our rooms are ready?

If we had them in a big bag would they carry them to your room with your luggage?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!!

We have an ice chest that looks just like a backpack on wheels. You can pull it along. We just put the drinks in it and the room stuard will put ice in it for you if you don't have a fridge in your room. Never have had a problem with getting it checked or anything busting. We had canned drinks and bottled water in it.

We usually take can drink and put them about in our carry on luggage and have not had a problem. they even opened my luggage and saw them and didnt say anything.. you are allow to take some. the last time i saw someone carrying on bottle water, and it wasnt in a bag.. I guess they got through

We use a soft sided cooler and simply check it with the porters at curbside. Then the room steward can keep it iced thru the cruise. Used to wheel it on already chilled in the days before everything had to go thru xray. Now since its not cold why bother carring it on.

On Carnival, the only one carrying any bags to your room will be you. No one helps with your carry ons.

Dan

I take a 6-pk. of plastic bottled Cokes with me. I put them in my checked luggage with my wine (in 2-gallon ziplok bags in case of spillage).

Will we need to physically carry them on and keep them with us until our rooms are ready?

The cabins are usually ready for you to drop off your carry-on luggage. If the steward is still in the cabin, just ask him if you could put your things in the closet.

If we had them in a big bag would they carry them to your room with your luggage?

Your checked luggage will be brought on the ship and placed outside your cabin door. YOU have to take your carry-on luggage.

I've been told the bagage handling can be rough and not to put them in your suitcase or they may explode (I talked to someone who had this happen!)

Thanks!!

"POP" . . . you must be from Pittsburg or at least Pennsylvania! I love it . . . I miss it.

I take a sturdy cardboard box and put my cokes and water in it. I either buy some of those packing peanuts or use lots of balled up newspaper to cushion the bottles or cans. I tape the box shut real tight and put one of my luggage labels from the cruise on it (or label it with a magic marker). When we get to the ship the porter takes it from there and it finds it's way to my room along with the rest of my luggage.

I've done this on the last few cruises we've been on and so far it has worked out fine. This way you don't have to carry it on the ship nor take extra luggage nor worry about something bursting.

Opps . . . maybe it is . . . I just know I haven't heard soda called "pop" since I left law school in Pittsburgh . . . :p

The Great Pop vs. Soda Controversy

from

http://www.popvssoda.com/

Pop, soda or Coke? Internet voters seek to settle debate

from

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/webguide/internetlife/2002-09-12-soda-pop_x.htm

Yep. If a true southerner asks you if you want a coke, you'll get a coke. It might not be the same coke you think it should be, but it'll be a coke. :)

On topic: I would just put them in a cooler, labelled clearly as to who the cooler belongs to, etc., and put your cokes and water and stuff in there. You don't have to worry about putting ice in it since you can get ice once you are in your room on the ship. Then, use packing peanuts or newspaper or those for-shipping air-pillows to take up the space between cans so they won't bump together.

Undrhil

Yep. If a true southerner asks you if you want a coke, you'll get a coke. It might not be the same coke you think it should be, but it'll be a coke. :)

On topic: I would just put them in a cooler, labelled clearly as to who the cooler belongs to, etc., and put your cokes and water and stuff in there. You don't have to worry about putting ice in it since you can get ice once you are in your room on the ship. Then, use packing peanuts or newspaper or those for-shipping air-pillows to take up the space between cans so they won't bump together.

Undrhil

I am asking this in all seriousness. Why not buy your soft drinks and whatever else is going in your cooler after you get to the port? It would seem to me that if you do that and put it in the cooler that all of the peanuts, etc are not needed. Am I missing something or are you just being overly cautious?

Why not buy your soft drinks and whatever else is going in your cooler after you get to the port? It would seem to me that if you do that and put it in the cooler that all of the peanuts, etc are not needed. Am I missing something or are you just being overly cautious?
My interpretation is: I think that they are just bringing them from the port...I am just thinking that they mean so that are not all banging around there in the cooler...making noise, getting shaken up and such.

A true southerner knows it is ALL Coke!!!!

Oh my God, ain't that the truth? I came into this thread just because I find calling it Pop so hysterical! My Dad is from New York and all my relatives on his side still live there and they all call it Pop. My Aunt says it with the CUTEST Syracuse accent, I love her so much!

Thank you to the OP, you made my day without realizing it.

As for carrying on I agree with what one poster said about putting their drinks in plastic bags just to be safe. I had TAPE on some hair products and while it wouldn't be the same necessarily, they still leaked - needless to say I'll be putting them plastic bags THEN into my toiletry bag just to be safe!

I would also reccommend doing the six pack bottles - maybe the 16.9 ounce ones. Not only would you have more coke but they'd probably travel better :)

Thanks!!

What a disapointment, I thought you were looking for ways to smuggle your father on board and I had several suggestions. Heck getting soda on board is easy so I will let the rest of the folksd deal with that.

Archived