Trip Report: Oahu and Pride of America Cruise Nov. 2-9

Beachiekeen

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this great, extremely helpful review. Four of us are going on 2/1/2020. I am also a researcher/planner, but you've given me some ideas to rethink some of our plans. Thanks again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suskies said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this great, extremely helpful review. Four of us are going on 2/1/2020. I am also a researcher/planner, but you've given me some ideas to rethink some of our plans. Thanks again!

Make SURE to do a whale watch on Maui, it will be what is called "whale soup" in February!  I have used Hawaii Ocean Project but there are lots of good operators.

I loved our trip, I would go again and not change anything.  On a second cruise, I might go to one of the beaches on the Kohala coast in Kona.  The Hilton in Kona also offers a resort pass, as does the Grand Hyatt on Kauai (but I would still do Waimea Canyon instead).  In Hilo I would do the tour of the Hamakua coast instead of VNP unless there was active lava.  On Maui, I might do ziplining in Kapalua, walk around Lahaina, and then go to the Old Lahaina Luau that night--which I cannot take credit for that idea, I saw it in another trip report!  But I would also do exactly the same as we did and be perfectly happy.

One thing I realized after my review--we totally planned on getting room service breakfast for the Friday we were docked in Kauai and having breakfast on the the balcony that morning.  But after all that champagne on our anniversary we totally forgot!  And I am kicking myself because that would have been a really fun thing to do and something I had planned.

2 minutes ago, Suskies said:

You are a gem, Beachiekeen! You've given us a lot to think about. 

Awww, thank you!  I love planning a trip like this, for me it is literally half the fun.  If you think of any other questions, just ask.

When I thought we were going to go to Tahiti, I planned the whole thing and I'm not even that sad we didn't go because I still got to plan it all, ha!

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 4:06 PM, Beachiekeen said:

Awww, thank you!  I love planning a trip like this, for me it is literally half the fun.  If you think of any other questions, just ask.

When I thought we were going to go to Tahiti, I planned the whole thing and I'm not even that sad we didn't go because I still got to plan it all, ha!

Another question: Beach parking at Kapalua (and also Kaanapali--you didn't mention that but it also looks beautiful, so we'd like to stop there too). We don't want to waste time driving from one full lot to another, and we don't mind paying. Where exactly is the lot by the tennis courts that you parked in? Could we just park at the Ritz Carlton (I know it would cost a fortune)? We plan to walk the whole trail (from the Burger Shack to Kapalua Beach) so we can park anywhere in the area. 

Thank you again!!!

1 hour ago, Suskies said:

Another question: Beach parking at Kapalua (and also Kaanapali--you didn't mention that but it also looks beautiful, so we'd like to stop there too). We don't want to waste time driving from one full lot to another, and we don't mind paying. Where exactly is the lot by the tennis courts that you parked in? Could we just park at the Ritz Carlton (I know it would cost a fortune)? We plan to walk the whole trail (from the Burger Shack to Kapalua Beach) so we can park anywhere in the area. 

Thank you again!!!

This was actually the first time we had parked at the tennis courts. I just put “Kapalua tennis garden” into Google but it’s essentially across the street from Merriman’s. There is beach parking but you really need to be there no later than 8:00-8:30 am to get a spot and if you plan to walk the trail and back, it’s nice to leave a spot in the beach parking lot for someone else. 🙂 The tennis lot is a short walk. You can always try the beach parking first (we drove through first just to check), you might get lucky. We have also parked on the street and walked, the cars start lining the road when the beach parking fills up. Hubby and I have walked the trail all the way to the Ritz and back but that wasn’t possible for my in-laws. 

Kaanapali is a great beach with a paved beach path, lined with restaurants and resorts. All of the resorts are required to have so many free beach parking spots but obviously those go fast. I would try the Kaanapali Beach Hotel first, we have gotten lucky there. We have also just driven straight to the Sheraton and just paid the $20 to park there for the day. Whaler’s Village also has a lot and if you shop ($15 minimum I think) or eat at a restaurant, you can get validation but I believe it’s only for 3 hours (I’ve never done it myself).  We have walked the beach all the way from the Sheraton to the Hyatt and back, getting drinks along the way, seeing the different resorts, etc.

We actually love the area just north of the Sheraton where the Royal Lahaina is, there is a beautiful beach called Kahekili Beach Park aka Airport Beach which has a big free lot. Not as many amenities as Kaanapali but also quieter and less crowded. You could walk to the nearby Honua Kai and eat at Duke’s for lunch, that would be an awesome day too. There can be good snorkeling there too if conditions are right.

Edited by Beachiekeen

4 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

This was actually the first time we had parked at the tennis courts. I just put “Kapalua tennis garden” into Google but it’s essentially across the street from Merriman’s. There is beach parking but you really need to be there no later than 8:00-8:30 am to get a spot and if you plan to walk the trail and back, it’s nice to leave a spot in the beach parking lot for someone else. 🙂 The tennis lot is a short walk. You can always try the beach parking first (we drove through first just to check), you might get lucky. We have also parked on the street and walked, the cars start lining the road when the beach parking fills up. Hubby and I have walked the trail all the way to the Ritz and back but that wasn’t possible for my in-laws. 

Kaanapali is a great beach with a paved beach path, lined with restaurants and resorts. All of the resorts are required to have so many free beach parking spots but obviously those go fast. I would try the Kaanapali Beach Hotel first, we have gotten lucky there. We have also just driven straight to the Sheraton and just paid the $20 to park there for the day. Whaler’s Village also has a lot and if you shop ($15 minimum I think) or eat at a restaurant, you can get validation but I believe it’s only for 3 hours (I’ve never done it myself).  We have walked the beach all the way from the Sheraton to the Hyatt and back, getting drinks along the way, seeing the different resorts, etc.

We actually love the area just north of the Sheraton where the Royal Lahaina is, there is a beautiful beach called Kahekili Beach Park aka Airport Beach which has a big free lot. Not as many amenities as Kaanapali but also quieter and less crowded. You could walk to the nearby Honua Kai and eat at Duke’s for lunch, that would be an awesome day too. There can be good snorkeling there too if conditions are right.

This is SOOOO helpful. Thanks to you, we've honed our plan. I should explain that we're in our late 60s, and our favorite ways to spend vacations are exploring by walking or driving, but we have to pace ourselves. We do shore excursions or tours only if they're the best alternative--something we couldn't do on our own. We can't do the Road to Hana because of back/carsickness issues, and the sights of the west coast of Maui appeal to us more than other parts of the island. We love the idea of doing the beachfront walks in Kapalua and Kaanapali, then having lunch somewhere with a waterfront view. We're renting a car both days. So on the first day we'll head to Kapalua and on the second day we'll head to Kaanapali. If we have time, energy, and inclination after lunch each day, we can go see someplace else on our list, otherwise we'll head back to the ship and relax. Thank you again! You've made a big impact on our trip.

25 minutes ago, Suskies said:

This is SOOOO helpful. Thanks to you, we've honed our plan. I should explain that we're in our late 60s, and our favorite ways to spend vacations are exploring by walking or driving, but we have to pace ourselves. We do shore excursions or tours only if they're the best alternative--something we couldn't do on our own. We can't do the Road to Hana because of back/carsickness issues, and the sights of the west coast of Maui appeal to us more than other parts of the island. We love the idea of doing the beachfront walks in Kapalua and Kaanapali, then having lunch somewhere with a waterfront view. We're renting a car both days. So on the first day we'll head to Kapalua and on the second day we'll head to Kaanapali. If we have time, energy, and inclination after lunch each day, we can go see someplace else on our list, otherwise we'll head back to the ship and relax. Thank you again! You've made a big impact on our trip.

Oh I am so glad!  I love to talk about Hawaii, especially Maui!

One thing I should mention, the Kapalua coastal trail, while beautiful, is completely unshaded and the trail technically ends at Oneola Bay and you kind of have to wind your way to the Ritz, walking on the lower road, it's not a straight shoot.  It's also a good 1.3 miles 25 minute walk, plus stops you'll want to make along the trail.  You can always do what we did--walk the trail until you've had enough, walk back, and drive to the Ritz, they will validate your parking and take you down to the Burger Shack in a golf cart--the walk from the Burger Shack back to the Ritz is uphill all the way.

Kaanapali is a completely paved even path.  Lots of cute restaurants:  Leilani's, Hula Grill, Monkeypod are all fun, I love to get a lava flow at the Tiki Bar at the Kaanapali Beach hotel.  But the path itself is also unshaded and Kaanapali is usually always sunny.  So wear a hat for sure, and bring water for the coastal trail.  I would keep an eye on the time on day 2, traffic can back up through Lahaina town.  Speaking of Lahaina, you could do the beach and then stop in Lahaina for some sightseeing, walking tour, ice cream, etc., you can Google "walking tour Lahaina," once again, it can be hot there but it's a cute town.  Parking can be a nightmare so we just park in the mall parking for $5 and walk around.  Lahaina also has some really cute waterfront restaurants, double check the lunch times:  Kimo's, Pacific O, Fleetwoods, and great happy hours too. 

On 11/26/2019 at 9:28 AM, Suskies said:

I just re-read this--you really should do a whale watch, the whales will be thick in February and it is really an incredible experience!  You could leave out of Lahaina Harbor, walk around Lahaina after, have lunch at Pacific O by the ocean and get back to the ship in plenty of time.  Just another suggestion!  🙂

Edited by Beachiekeen

9 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

I am from Hawaii and we have done Pride about 5 times.  Your review is SPOT ON AND WONDERFUL.  

Everyone should read it.  You did the best!

Oh wow, that is high praise indeed, thank you!  I had so much fun doing it and I can't wait to do it again!  I am already hoping to do the cruise again, after a few more land vacations to Hawaii.  🙂

1 hour ago, Beachiekeen said:

Oh wow, that is high praise indeed, thank you!  I had so much fun doing it and I can't wait to do it again!  I am already hoping to do the cruise again, after a few more land vacations to Hawaii.  🙂

My opinion only, land, except Oahu not too good.  I wish Pride didn't use that dock in Maui.  Much prefer the other side with Lahaina and seeing the whales.  That is good for three days or so.  You did the best of all the islands.  It is so convenient for us to just fly over and get on the ship and then just get home afterwards.  I do wish Norwegian would put a newer ship there, but not sure if all the docks would handle them.  The large ships tender in at Lahaina in Maui, that is a good thing.  We are leaving in a few days to go to Oahu for 15 days.  Can't wait!  You made me so homesick!  You go Beachiekeen!  

1 hour ago, Caroldoll said:

My opinion only, land, except Oahu not too good.  I wish Pride didn't use that dock in Maui.  Much prefer the other side with Lahaina and seeing the whales.  That is good for three days or so.  You did the best of all the islands.  It is so convenient for us to just fly over and get on the ship and then just get home afterwards.  I do wish Norwegian would put a newer ship there, but not sure if all the docks would handle them.  The large ships tender in at Lahaina in Maui, that is a good thing.  We are leaving in a few days to go to Oahu for 15 days.  Can't wait!  You made me so homesick!  You go Beachiekeen!  

Oh I’ve loved all my land vacations and have another one in May! I love seeing Hawaii any way I can.

POA is going to dry dock in April, can’t wait to see her after.

We really loved our 3 days on Oahu before the cruise. Enjoy your trip “home!” 😀

Edited by Beachiekeen

Beachiekeen -- How long did it take you to get from the ship to Kaanapali?  We'd like our second day in Maui to be a beach day and trying to figure out logistics.  Our kids have fond memories of that area during their first trip to Maui 15 years ago and want to return, since there's so much to do right there.

10 minutes ago, AllisonJames said:

Beachiekeen -- How long did it take you to get from the ship to Kaanapali?  We'd like our second day in Maui to be a beach day and trying to figure out logistics.  Our kids have fond memories of that area during their first trip to Maui 15 years ago and want to return, since there's so much to do right there.

We didn't go to Kaanapali, we went to Kapalua and we did it on day 1 and it probably took about an hour from port. Kaanapali from Kahului is easily 45 minutes to an hour.  I would be careful on day 2 because traffic can back up through Lahaina, but if you get an early start and keep an eye on the time, it should be ok.  The south Maui beaches are closer to port--more like 30 minutes instead of an hour and you don't have the Lahaina traffic to deal with (although there can also be traffic in Kihei).  I would probably leave either area by 2:00, no later than 3:00 if you have a car to return (assuming all aboard is 5:30).  So maybe plan on a 10-2 beach day.  That's probably being cautious but better safe than sorry!

Edited by Beachiekeen

Just wanted to say thank you for a great informative review!  I really enjoyed your pictures.  We are traveling in March on POA with a group of five and all the information was really helpful. 

I wanted to ask, since you enjoyed your smaller private tours with Mauka Makai, did you consider them for other ports?  I hate the big tours too, but it is a lot of work to keep renting minivans at each port and having someone drive the whole time (which will either be me or my husband).  

10 hours ago, CleverEuphemism said:

Just wanted to say thank you for a great informative review!  I really enjoyed your pictures.  We are traveling in March on POA with a group of five and all the information was really helpful. 

I wanted to ask, since you enjoyed your smaller private tours with Mauka Makai, did you consider them for other ports?  I hate the big tours too, but it is a lot of work to keep renting minivans at each port and having someone drive the whole time (which will either be me or my husband).  

Mauka Makai is only on the Big Island. We were very comfortable driving on Maui since we’ve been several times and driving on Kauai was easy too. I would have preferred to drive on the BI too but I knew my husband needed a break. You just see so much more driving yourself. So for Maui and Kauai, we did not consider a tour although I had suggested Valley Isle Excursions for the Road to Hana but my family didn’t want to be on a bus for that long.

Tours are going to stop at places where you can spend money, those types of stops are built in. While I was ok with the places we stopped at, you really have to look carefully at the places the tours stop so you’re aware of what you will really be seeing. I knew for example we wouldn’t see much of Volcanoes National Park, driving ourselves we would have seen way more. Tours are meant to give you a variety and to try and please everyone.

In the end, renting a car wasn’t that much trouble at all, especially since Maui and Kauai were overnights, there was plenty of time.

I have never used them, but some people suggest Tours by Locals as you can customize your tours with them. They are pricier, but you will have more control over your itinerary than a regular tour. 

Hike Maui, Temptation Tours and Valley Isle Excursions are operators on  Maui you could look at for tours. I’ve never used them but would have chosen Valley Isle for the Road to Hana.

Edited by Beachiekeen
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 2:29 PM, Diver2014 said:

Thank you for your review!  We're booked for November 2020 for our 25th anniversary.  We've both been to Hawaii before and I sailed around the islands on the old SS Independence so I'm looking forward to seeing the islands again.  Yes, it is an expensive cruise but since there is no competition, we just pay and go.  We don't like the cruises on other lines with 4-6 sea days just getting there and back.  I think it is the best way to see Hawaii without having to schlep luggage from island to island.

yes I agree. I as in Hawaii in 1980 and did four islands via tours and flying to each.  I also can't see taking cruises o and from Hawaii from Mainland and having a lot of time at sea unless I had the best group ever with me.

I am booked for June of 2021 and I am going for two weeks B2B.  I figure lots to do and provides good chance of nice weather over a two week time frame.

This ship looks really unique and a bit like ships of the past.  Love the staircase and layout.  

13 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes I agree. I as in Hawaii in 1980 and did four islands via tours and flying to each.  I also can't see taking cruises o and from Hawaii from Mainland and having a lot of time at sea unless I had the best group ever with me.

I am booked for June of 2021 and I am going for two weeks B2B.  I figure lots to do and provides good chance of nice weather over a two week time frame.

This ship looks really unique and a bit like ships of the past.  Love the staircase and layout.  

Ahhhh, this sounds like heaven!  Hubby and I have already said we'd love to do a B2B on this cruise!  I am so jealous, enjoy!  🙂

Yeah, I like sea days but the other itineraries just do not appeal to me, although I have heard of one on the Jewel that adds Tahiti and that is something I would love to look into at some point!

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

1 hour ago, Beachiekeen said:

Ahhhh, this sounds like heaven!  Hubby and I have already said we'd love to do a B2B on this cruise!  I am so jealous, enjoy!  🙂

Yeah, I like sea days but the other itineraries just do not appeal to me, although I have heard of one on the Jewel that adds Tahiti and that is something I would love to look into at some point!

I would love to do a B2B. It would be nice to be able to take things at a slower pace instead of going all out every day.

Edited by Cindy