Trip Report: Oahu and Pride of America Cruise Nov. 2-9

Beachiekeen

What a fantastic review! It really helped me get even more excited for April.

When I look at the total $$$ for this trip I cringe, because I spent less on my last two trips to Europe and they were more than twice as long! I still think it will be worth it...we made the decision to not rent cars so my husband gets to enjoy the trip too! In some places (Honolulu, Maui, and Kauai) that means we’ve hired private drivers, but I think it will be worth the cost to leave the driving to someone else.

Your pictures are fantastic! I loved the plane shots. We had booked Wings Over Kauai too, but then we went to Alaska and I decided I was in love with helicopters so I switched to a helicopter and paid extra for the front seats.🙄

Ship question — best specialty restaurant for a “big” birthday dinner? Cagney’s? We both turn 60 next year😳 and my birthday is Wednesday of the cruise.

2 hours ago, Cindy said:

What a fantastic review! It really helped me get even more excited for April.

When I look at the total $$$ for this trip I cringe, because I spent less on my last two trips to Europe and they were more than twice as long! I still think it will be worth it...we made the decision to not rent cars so my husband gets to enjoy the trip too! In some places (Honolulu, Maui, and Kauai) that means we’ve hired private drivers, but I think it will be worth the cost to leave the driving to someone else.

Your pictures are fantastic! I loved the plane shots. We had booked Wings Over Kauai too, but then we went to Alaska and I decided I was in love with helicopters so I switched to a helicopter and paid extra for the front seats.🙄

Ship question — best specialty restaurant for a “big” birthday dinner? Cagney’s? We both turn 60 next year😳 and my birthday is Wednesday of the cruise.

Cagney’s by a mile! It was great! 

I totally get the driving. Although my husband enjoyed the trip, it was not as fun for him as it was for us. But we got to see so much more. 

I can’t imagine a helicopter being better and we are thinking of doing Wings over Kauai again in May. It’s so much cheaper. Plus I have fears of being the girl on the bench with no window (this happened to my co-worker). If we do a helicopter, it will have to be with Mauna Loa that is private so I’m assured a window seat—I am not paying that much money and not having a view. 

This was obviously not a budget vacation for us, especially for six people. We all had a ton of OBC that helped with extras and upcharges. But that is what is great about cruises, you can have a great time no matter what. 

So much of Hawaii is free. With careful planning, you can minimize extra costs. The one excursion I would say splurge on is to see Kauai by air, it really is spectacular.  

Waimea Canyon, Haleakala, the Maui Tropical Plantation, the beaches we went to, Diamond Head—those all cost almost nothing.

I would say people don’t need the drink package or internet, you can certainly live without the dining package. The only time we were without internet was at night cruising between islands. We had 250 free minutes and didn’t even use it.

But yes, it’s an expensive cruise so make the most of it! hope you have a great cruise and come back and tell us about it! Happy early birthday! Mine is in April too!

Edited by Beachiekeen

Thanks again for sharing and all your tips. We’re not big beach people, so Hawaii will probably be a one and done for us, therefore we want to see all we can.

This trip started when I got enough United credit from a bump in June to pretty much pay for my first class ticket and we used miles for my husband’s. Not paying for air was a big help!

As for the helicopter, I agree with you about the middle back seats. That’s why I looked until I found a highly rated company who also guarantees the front seats — for a fee, of course!🙄

I’ll definitely review the trip and post links to my blog.

18 minutes ago, Cindy said:

Thanks again for sharing and all your tips. We’re not big beach people, so Hawaii will probably be a one and done for us, therefore we want to see all we can.

This trip started when I got enough United credit from a bump in June to pretty much pay for my first class ticket and we used miles for my husband’s. Not paying for air was a big help!

As for the helicopter, I agree with you about the middle back seats. That’s why I looked until I found a highly rated company who also guarantees the front seats — for a fee, of course!🙄

I’ll definitely review the trip and post links to my blog.

I don’t know how they can guarantee that since placement is determined by weight. 

Yeah my ILs don’t love the beach, they struggled a bit with the humidity and the open air venues, especially at the hotel where only the rooms are air conditioned!

27 minutes ago, Lovetotraveltami said:

Thank you for the wonderful review.  We are taking this cruise in 2021. I haven’T started planning yet, but will take your advice.  Our 1st  time to Hawaii.

Have a wonderful time! I bet it won’t be your last! 😉

41 minutes ago, Beachiekeen said:

I can’t imagine a helicopter being better and we are thinking of doing Wings over Kauai again in May. It’s so much cheaper. Plus I have fears of being the girl on the bench with no window (this happened to my co-worker).

Thanks for that info! I originally booked a helicopter for three of us but saw that there is no guarantee that we’d have window seats. I can’t afford paying close to $1000.00 for that assurance.  I cancelled and booked with Wings Over Kauai. Much cheaper! 

6 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Thanks for that info! I originally booked a helicopter for three of us but saw that there is no guarantee that we’d have window seats. I can’t afford paying close to $1000.00 for that assurance.  I cancelled and booked with Wings Over Kauai. Much cheaper! 

I think you will love it! 

Mauna Loa is a private helicopter that only carries 3 plus the pilot but everyone does have a window seat. This is who we will use if we go the heli route but hubby really wants to go with Wings over Kauai again.

19 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

Yes we loved it. We didn’t even bid for an upgrade to the OS (even though it killed me!) because we didn’t want to lose that deck! 

The POA has probably the widest variety of OS in the fleet.  Some are better than others like deck 12 or 10.  Some face forward.  We had the one a few rooms forward of you for 10 nights and it was great.  That one has a jacuzzi on the balcony.  Plus we'd run into the captain at times when he passed through to the bridge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dexddd said:

The POA has probably the widest variety of OS in the fleet.  Some are better than others like deck 12 or 10.  Some face forward.  We had the one a few rooms forward of you for 10 nights and it was great.  That one has a jacuzzi on the balcony.  Plus we'd run into the captain at times when he passed through to the bridge.

We will be in 12006. Did you feel much movement up there? 

39 minutes ago, Beachiekeen said:

I don’t know how they can guarantee that since placement is determined by weight. 

Yeah my ILs don’t love the beach, they struggled a bit with the humidity and the open air venues, especially at the hotel where only the rooms are air conditioned!

They asked weight at booking so I assume they plan around it. I found a handful of companies that will allow it and knew I wanted to do the front seat. I wasn’t as lucky in Alaska, but it was still incredible.

We’re used to the humidity! It can’t be as bad as Houston in August!😂

Alaska helicopter pictures:

624C8A84-35F7-4D2A-9BBE-14585424A900.jpeg

93A612AD-8EE0-4EED-B6E3-1DCFAEFCBF82.jpeg

8AC741BC-3009-4A96-B81D-4EDC31E7BC8C.jpeg

Edited by Cindy

14 minutes ago, Cindy said:

They asked weight at booking so I assume they plan around it. I found a handful of companies that will allow it and knew I wanted to do the front seat. I wasn’t as lucky in Alaska, but it was still incredible.

We’re used to the humidity! It can’t be as bad as Houston in August!😂

Alaska helicopter pictures:

We did a seaplane in Alaska.  My MIL said no to all helicopters!  It was a wonderful experience there too.  Honestly, I think Kauai was as beautiful, just different.

Ugh, Houston!  Dallas is humid too but something about Hawaii is different--it's just more of an in-your-face tropical humidity.  Plus in Texas, we have AC everywhere while in Hawaii all the restaurants, lobbies, etc. are open air.  I'm so glad I love the beach and luckily I have made hubby a beach lover also!

We actually felt quite a bit of movement the entire cruise and I am still swaying a week later.  It doesn't bother me as much in the cabin as it's nice to be rocked to sleep!  :)

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 8:42 AM, Beachiekeen said:

To make the most of this cruise, you really need to plan and research in advance.  I see many suggestions of hop on/off shuttles, shopping, Roberts tours, and I want to scream no, no, no.  

This is my thinking also.  I’ve been following the FB groups since booking in May for my December POA cruise.  I am a planner as well.  Renting cars except for Kona and Hilo. No big bus tours for us.  I do have a smaller van tour  scheduled for Hilo with NCL.  I want to try one to see if we can tolerate it now that we are getting older.  Thanks so much.

1 hour ago, EmeraldBay said:

This is my thinking also.  I’ve been following the FB groups since booking in May for my December POA cruise.  I am a planner as well.  Renting cars except for Kona and Hilo. No big bus tours for us.  I do have a smaller van tour  scheduled for Hilo with NCL.  I want to try one to see if we can tolerate it now that we are getting older.  Thanks so much.

I just think a small group is so much nicer. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you for this review -- I'll be on POA with my family of five 12/28/19 so it is very helpful!  I do have a question about Kauai -- can you walk to the Marriott complex and the beach from the ship?  We were in Kauai last Christmas and had dinner at Duke's there on our way to the airport and since it's a very short day in port I thought that would be a good place to go, I wasn't sure how close it was but you mentioned walking to Kalapaki Beach . . .

13 minutes ago, AllisonJames said:

Thank you for this review -- I'll be on POA with my family of five 12/28/19 so it is very helpful!  I do have a question about Kauai -- can you walk to the Marriott complex and the beach from the ship?  We were in Kauai last Christmas and had dinner at Duke's there on our way to the airport and since it's a very short day in port I thought that would be a good place to go, I wasn't sure how close it was but you mentioned walking to Kalapaki Beach . . .

Yes it's about a 10-minute walk, however, you can also take the free shuttle which will pick you up from the port and take you to Anchor Cove Mall, then the Marriott is right next door.  We took the shuttle over but walked back to the port from there without waiting for the shuttle.  I posted pics of the beach, it was actually bigger and nicer than I expected.

Edited by Beachiekeen

Thank you for your review!  We're booked for November 2020 for our 25th anniversary.  We've both been to Hawaii before and I sailed around the islands on the old SS Independence so I'm looking forward to seeing the islands again.  Yes, it is an expensive cruise but since there is no competition, we just pay and go.  We don't like the cruises on other lines with 4-6 sea days just getting there and back.  I think it is the best way to see Hawaii without having to schlep luggage from island to island.

27 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Thank you for your review!  We're booked for November 2020 for our 25th anniversary.  We've both been to Hawaii before and I sailed around the islands on the old SS Independence so I'm looking forward to seeing the islands again.  Yes, it is an expensive cruise but since there is no competition, we just pay and go.  We don't like the cruises on other lines with 4-6 sea days just getting there and back.  I think it is the best way to see Hawaii without having to schlep luggage from island to island.

Have a wonderful anniversary!  Maybe we will see you there!  😉  We are already talking about doing it again!

What a wonderful and informative review.  Your pictures are great too...Thank you for taking the time to do this.  My very first cruise was on the Pride of America and I loved it so much I took 3 more and I am considering another.  I love Hawaii and seeing your review made me realize just how much.

2 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

What a wonderful and informative review.  Your pictures are great too...Thank you for taking the time to do this.  My very first cruise was on the Pride of America and I loved it so much I took 3 more and I am considering another.  I love Hawaii and seeing your review made me realize just how much.

Oh thanks so much!  Yes, Hawaii is certainly special.  I have a hard time wanting to go anywhere else.  I keep telling my husband, we have to stop going to Hawaii or we will never see the rest of the world!  🙂

• Like 1

Your review was amazing thank you for sharing your insights. We cruised on POA in 2007 when she was almost brand new and we are going again August 15 2020- planning has started. My husband is a golfer so he will be golfing a few times while friends and I Beach etc. 

Edited by Sunshine summertime

44 minutes ago, Sunshine summertime said:

Your review was amazing thank you for sharing your insights. We cruised on POA in 2007 when she was almost brand new and we are going again August 15 2020- planning has started. My husband is a golfer so he will be golfing a few times while friends and I Beach etc. 

Thank you, your trip sounds like heaven! 😀

Hubby and I actually looked at November 2021 today—I have a feeling we may be back!