Meraviglia or Seaside, tell me what to book!

jimmyjackson

We'll be going the first week in March 2020 on either the Seaside or Meraviglia.  Staying in a Fantastica Balcony.  I've watched videos, looked at some reviews, etc.  The Meraviglia looks to have better shows and more restaurant options.  The Seaside is smaller, seems less busy, and I like the open concept. It will be for a group of 12 people in their 40's and 50's.  What would you choose?  I'm feeling added pressure since I'm making the choice for our group and want everyone to have a great experience.  

Itinerary for Meraviglia is  Costa Maya Mexico, Belize, Honduras, and Ocean Cay Bahamas

Itinerary for Seaside is Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Cozumel Mexico, and Ocean Cay Bahamas

Edited by jimmyjackson

Meraviglia is a ship designed to steer you inside and appreciate being inside the ship and all the amenities that the ship itself has to provide.  This class is perfect for European cruises where the weather might not always cooperate, and they can easily take the party inside to keep it going.  There's a reason this ship has been tabbed to sail out of NYC and to New England/Canada right when it got here.

Seaside is a ship designed to get you out on deck and appreciate the open air spaces with fantastic views of the areas you are sailing to and through.  This class is perfect for the Caribbean where the weather is pretty much always perfect, and the vast majority of people want to be outside.  There's a reason this ship is anchored to sailing out of Miami to the Caribbean

So, if your choice is which ship to sail, keep this in mind.

We've just sailed the NYC/Canada itinerary on Meraviglia and the Caribbean on Seaside. 

Meraviglia has a more open inside feeling and less outside space. Seaside is the opposite. The inside didn't feel that it flowed as well, although we did only walk around the ship a couple of times. 

The restaurant availability is the same, although there's an extra buffet restaurant on Seaside. 

Both ships are stunning and I'd sail both again.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjackson said:

Thank you for the info.  Sounds like we really can't go wrong with either ship. 

Having been on both ships, I can say they are both beautiful.  If this is your first MSC cruise, I would recommend going on the Seaside first as I think they have the American market a bit better figured out than they do on the Meraviglia.  They have been sailing the same itineraries for a few years now and I think they have everything down pretty good.  I think the Meraviglia is still going through some growing pains being a new ship in the market.  With that said, both ships are great! 

My vote after sailing on both Seaside and Meraviglia is the Seaside. If you like to sun and be connected to the ocean then Seaside is where it is at. The Meraviglia is designed as a ship for all seasons (so they say) but it's really not designed for warm weather cruising. She's got stunning interiors but her top deck layout is woefully inadequate for the passenger count (and restrictions from Aurea and Yacht Club private areas).

I can’t comment on the Seaside since I haven’t sailed on her, but we sailed on the Meraviglia last November and absolutely loved it. My wife and I commented that we haven’t been this wowed by a ship since we sailed on the Allure of the Seas during her inaugural season. Meraviglia is a beautiful, enormous, technological marvel.

We sailed during the fall in the Med, so temperatures were a bit on the cool side, but we were still able to spend a considerable amount of time outside using the pools and outdoor activities like the Polar Aqua Park and the ropes course. We found the outdoor decks to be spacious and very open, at least much more than on other cruise lines we’ve sailed on like Carnival and Royal, Pools are also larger. As an added bonus, water is heated so it’s very comfortable even on cool mornings or evenings.

Entertainment wise, the Meraviglia takes things a notch up with their Cirque du Soleil at Sea performances at the dedicated Carousel Lounge. 

Itinerary wise, I do like the one on the Meraviglia more than the one on the Seaside. The Seaside’s kinda sucks. Jamaica is a polarizing destination (some love it and some hate it). Grand Cayman is a wonderful destination but I always prepare myself for the possibility of it being canceled, and Cozumel appears on almost every Western Caribbean itinerary, so I would lean towards an itinerary that does not include this port.

Once again, I can’t compare the ships side by side, but based on our experience, Meraviglia is a fantastic ship, and I wouldn’t hesitate to sail on her again in the Caribbean.

36B13DF8-32E8-4534-97CF-AF93FD4B3A20.jpeg

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjackson said:

Thank you for the info.  Sounds like we really can't go wrong with either ship. 

In the end you will probably anyway cruise both classes. And it looks like MSC will always have a Seaside- and Mera-Class ship in America in the upcoming years. 

So the best start to your MSC career would be the good olde Armonia, where I started mine many years before :classic_smile:

Just left Seaside after a 2 week cruise (also sailed her several weeks last year) and are currently on Meraviglia for 2 weeks.  Sorry we did not stay on Seaside.  The crew and officers are so much friendlier, attentive to your needs on Seaside.  

The theater productions on Seaside are fabulous, so so on Meraviglia.  On Meraviglia they charge $20+ for each of the Cirque de Soleil shows.  They are integrated in the free theatre shows on Seaside.  Disappointed after the first Cirque on Meraviglia we canceled our second booked show.  

Dining rooms are extremely crowded on Meraviglia, similar but slightly better than Divina.  

If you prefer a quiet spot to read or relax you will not find it on Meraviglia as opposed to the relaxing Seaview  Lounge on Seaside.

The promenade on Meraviglia looks very much like a U.S. shopping mall-not bad if you want to experience that type of decor at sea.  

Oh, did I already say we wish we were back on Seaside~  we're already booked for six weeks in January and February.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2019 at 11:21 AM, jimmyjackson said:

Thank you all for your help, it is really appreciated. I've decided to book the Seaside.  Any suggestions on the deck and/or part of the ship we should book the rooms on?  I'll be booking a Fantistica Balcony stateroom.

For Seaside, try and stay mid-ship by the bump out so you're central in direction to most things and elevators to get you there if you need lifts. It is best to be two floors above the promenade deck because that's where the food (buffet) and most of the entertainment is located during better parts of the day.

• Thanks 1