Single Passenger & adding someone later

junglecat

Hello!  

I am looking at joing my DD and SIL with his family on a September cruise out of New Orleans.  At this moment my DH isn't sure if he will have time off work.  What are my choices?  Can I book the room now as a single and add him when we know he can go?  My BFF has said she would go if he isn't able.  Can I add her later?  Am I better off to book for the two of us now and if needed do a name change later?  I have NEVER had this be an issue before.  

If you book online you can pull off the TBD status. I booked early saver over a year ago for 2 people and it is still TBA and my last name. If you call I don't know if they will let you not name names . The risk of booking a single name and adding later is that sometimes there can be lifeboat capacity issues as the ship fills up and then possibly not being allowed to add a name due to the capacity issues. IF you book the room with DH name and then he cannot go you can run into problems if you book early saver. No name changes are allowed so if you had to change names prior to final payment he would lose 50 dollars and the remaining deposit would be saved for 2 years for another cruise. The new name would then have to pay whatever the going rate is for the second person at the time of change.

Edited by n6uqqq

I recently called to add a person to a solo room and they allowed me to do a TBD/TBA. I was worried about the lifeboat capacity issue so I would suggest booking for two vs. one and planning to add one later. Like a previous poster said, if you book through the site, you only have to name the first/primary guest. 

One thing to keep in mind if you decide to add a person on at a later date, it will be based on current rates or could require a room change. If you book and got a special promotion or rate during a sale, they will not honor that when adding an additional person, so if the rates go up you will have to pay the current going rate for all people. I would do what others have suggested and book it online and to leave the name and info blank in TBD status until you know 100% who is going. That gives you the ability to lock in a good rate, have time to find tentative people for replacements if the first person can't go. 

• Like 1

Carnival doesn't do a special rate for singles you can book the second person as TBD in order to lock in the rate and then add in the second person once you are certain who it will be.  If you booked it and added your husband's name and had to change it they charge a name change fee.