Polynesia excursion recommendations

Clutj

On 11/18/2019 at 7:12 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Save yourself a lot of research. 

On Bora Bora, you'll want to spend the day with Patrick (owner of Maohe Nui) snorkeling, touring and enjoying lunch on his family motu.

Note that he books solid many many months in advance.

I'll second that!  Patrick does a great job with his tours.  We used him in 2018 (Peru/Tahiti) and thoroughly enjoyed the tour, lunch and the music an fire dance.

On 11/18/2019 at 7:12 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

the day with Patrick (owner of

On 11/23/2019 at 7:10 PM, cayman09 said:

We are going in 2021 on the 18 day Tahiti to San Francisco Regatta cruise. I would love to go with Patrick but I'm a novice at snorkeling and my wife would just be riding along in the boat to enjoy the day. Does anyone with experience in a Patrick tour have an opinion on whether we would get value for the cost of the tour? Or should we try something else?

By the way, hi Verokaren, we live in Vero too.

We are also going on this cruise.  Two from Virginia and two from NYC.  

I agree.... It is hard to experience French Polynesia with out some DYI.  It is just a place that requires some planning on your own to really experience it.

In Nuku Hiva... Richard Richard Richard, he is the best!

Fakarava   Ato Lissant, our itinerary was reversed the day before sailing due to a cyclone.  Ato was going on vacation during our new date so he arranged to have his son do the tour for us.  Spectacular!  He could have said sorry but he went out of his way to make it work.

in Moorea, rent a car and circumvent the island.  Drive up to the lookout then stop at the Moorea lagoonarium for a few hours.  It was, by far,  the best snorkeling in all of Polynesia and that is saying a lot.  There are art galleries along the way, little shops, cafes, etc.  so much to see and plenty of time as the island is not very big.

in Raiatea, there were a bunch of tours inside the port building.  Since our dates were changed last minute, we used one of those.  We went on a boat ride up the Faroa river and to the big sacred temple in the morning then did another tour from the same place in the afternoon to the Tahaa pearl farm and vanilla plantation, then snorkeling on the reef.  It turned out to be a great day!

On our last day, since our flight was at 11:50 p.m., we rented a car in Papeete and drove to Tahiti Iti and stopped at all the big waterfalls.  We ate Lunch on the beach at a little French restaurant and had dinner in the waterfront park at the food trucks.  We stared at the ship wishing we could do the 12 days over again!

its that good!!!!

On 11/23/2019 at 7:10 PM,  cayman09 said: 

We are going in 2021 on the 18 day Tahiti to San Francisco Regatta cruise. I would love to go with Patrick but I'm a novice at snorkeling and my wife would just be riding along in the boat to enjoy the day. Does anyone with experience in a Patrick tour have an opinion on whether we would get value for the cost of the tour? Or should we try something else?

Cayman09, I see no one answered your question.  I can offer my opinion:  GO WITH PATRICK!   You will both enjoy the entertainment on his boats - the captain and mate serenade their passengers with music and song, the motu stop for lunch and fire dance are entertaining as well.  Money well spent, I say!!!

Go and enjoy the day on the water.

Donna

58 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:
  On 11/23/2019 at 7:10 PM,  cayman09 said: 

Cayman09, I see no one answered your question.  I can offer my opinion:  GO WITH PATRICK!   You will both enjoy the entertainment on his boats - the captain and mate serenade their passengers with music and song, the motu stop for lunch and fire dance are entertaining as well.  Money well spent, I say!!!

Go and enjoy the day on the water.

Donna

I agree.  On our first cruise to FP, Ruth did not snorkel.  She is not a strong swimmer, and didn't like snorkeling.  However, she loved Patrick's excursion.  She loved it so much that we went on another Oceania cruise from Tahiti.  On our second cruise, she bought a mask and fins, and snorkeled with the help of Patrick's daughter.  Now, we have booked a 3rd cruise that includes FP and 2 days in Bora Bora.  We have booked Patrick's excursion for both days.

Go with Patrick.  You and your wife will love the experience!