Polynesia excursion recommendations

Clutj

On 11/21/2019 at 7:23 PM, Hoopster95 said:

If I may direct you to my last year's review... I did a lot of work putting it together and I believe a lot of fellow CC'ers here really enjoyed it as much as I did writing it! Tons of tips, photos and ideas at all ports for you.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2524044-marinafrench-polynesia-mar-4-192018-review-wlots-of-photos/

Note, that when Cruise Critic converted to this new platform, all my videos on this review were lost/deleted.

You are 100% correct... you need to do some pre-planning at most all of the ports.

Following as I'm interested to learn about their excursions, not that I want to book O excursions only but we do have some OBC that I can use (we don't drink alcohol and the rest is included) and I also check what they offer as it gives you a good idea of what to do on each island,  so I can go searching for private tours.

But huge thanks to Hoopster for the review!

I'm working out our planning based on your review (as many others).. So glad I got to watch the videos before they were gone.

After your review, there was no other option then booking Patrick on Bora Bora.

Only 2 islands where I still have no idea yet what we'll be doing: Nuku Hiva and Fakarava.

Not a huge fan of hiking and O only offers one excursion in Nuku Hiva that doesn't get me excited. Need to do some more research I guess.

Fakarava: O doesn't offer any excursions at all. I guess that will be a DIY or apparently there is a very nice beach next to the tender area?

My travel companions think I'm overplanning but they still don't seem to realize that we're not going to the Caribbean this time 🙂

Luxury problems.. 🙂

9 hours ago, TEEITCAV said:

We are going to Nuku Hiva and want to get in touch with someone with Tamarama Tours and request Richard.  Do you know how we can get in touch with them?  thanks

RICHARD DEANE

TEMARAMA TOUR

TEMARAMA.TOUR@HOTMAIL.COM

+689 8728 0836

TAIOHAE NUKU HIVA

MARQUESAS

9 hours ago, TEEITCAV said:

We are going to Nuku Hiva and want to get in touch with someone with Tamarama Tours and request Richard.  Do you know how we can get in touch with them?  thanks

One thing to remember is wifi service is very limited in Nuku Hiva. Most people go to Taiohae once a week or so to check email. Meaning you might not hear from Richard for a week, maybe longer. If after that period of time email again.

temarama.tour@hotmail.com

4 hours ago, amitje said:

Only 2 islands where I still have no idea yet what we'll be doing: Nuku Hiva and Fakarava.

Not a huge fan of hiking and O only offers one excursion in Nuku Hiva that doesn't get me excited. Need to do some more research I guess.

Fakarava: O doesn't offer any excursions at all. I guess that will be a DIY or apparently there is a very nice beach next to the tender area?

Luxury problems.. 🙂

Thx for your kind words amitje. 

A DIY day at Nuku Hiva I feel would be a major shame for anyone being so darn lucky to be able to visit such a remote locale, and then just walk up and down a 5-6 block water front not really seeing/doing much.

I think a DIY day at Fakarava would be easier than Nuku Hiva.

IIRC, there were rental bikes (not many) and electric vehicle rental, and maybe a couple of other things offered. I do not know if they were pre-arranged or actually available to cruisers coming off the tenders as we were herded into a waiting area for our private excursion. Fakarava was definitely in the top 3 of my favorite days on that trip... outstanding day!!

Here's a couple of the videos that were lost during the CC website conversion

Edited by Hoopster95

Thanks again for sharing! Wonderful - definitely going to book a tour in Fakarava as well and will be looking for more options in Nuku Hiva! 

I understand you have to get your tender ticket very early which is not a problem as we are up in the middle of the night anyway due to the jetlag, but in general, as of when do the tenders start?

In Moorea, ship will be in port from 8am until 4pm. What time would be reasonable to meet for a pick up and by when should we be back to catch the last tender? 

10 hours ago, amitje said:

Thanks again for sharing! Wonderful - definitely going to book a tour in Fakarava as well and will be looking for more options in Nuku Hiva! 

I understand you have to get your tender ticket very early which is not a problem as we are up in the middle of the night anyway due to the jetlag, but in general, as of when do the tenders start?

In Moorea, ship will be in port from 8am until 4pm. What time would be reasonable to meet for a pick up and by when should we be back to catch the last tender? 

Are you setting up a private tour? 

The one thing I dread is giving advice from an experience I had close to 2 years ago now, as the ship, it's management, the staff, the way they do things (ie. tender tickets), the port, etc etc etc... may have changed.

In my humble opinion, and in more experienced delee's opinion (Denise, our cruise pal who posted and answered questions on my review as well) is that the earliest of tenders were pretty easy to get on for the most part. It's approximately the 3rd tender and onward that would've been a problem with O tours having 100% priority. That's why we were always down in the theatre very early to get a tender ticket, and we were out on time every time no fuss to meet our private tours right away to get the full day in.

I think if you're on the 1st or 2nd tender, it will be reasonable to be "picked up" by 8:30am. The tender ride here is only 5 minutes'ish. If sailaway is 4pm, the "all aboard" time for passengers will likely be posted for 3:30pm... and you'll see in your documentation in your stateroom the last tender probably "posted" for 3pm.... I say "posted" because they'll simply keep a tender(s) going for stragglers for a little while as deemed necessary.

On 1/8/2020 at 1:31 AM, amitje said:

If by any chance you have the opportunity to book the famous "Ato" in Fakarava- jump. You need 6-8 passengers from your roll call to be able to book him, but it's an extraordinary day of breathtaking scenery, snorkeling and the Blue Lagoon with a fun gentleman. He even catches your lunch. fakaravaexplorer@hotmail.com      Ato Lissant. Take a look at Tripadvisor.

Wifi service is very spotty in Fakarava so it can take as long as a week to hear back. Sometimes if you can't get enough fellow passengers he might still take you on last minute.

If you need an early tender ticket for any tours that are DIY, we were able to secure tickets by plopping ourselves in the front of the room and arriving 30 min early. Last Tahiti trip all of our snorkel excursions were DIY and had 8:15 and 8:30 meeting times, and we often had a group of 6-8 with us. It was no problem for the person distributing tickets get us all on the 1st or 2nd tender.

Edited by Petoonya

Thank you, Hoopster and everybody else that is contributing to this thread. We are booked on the March 15 sailing, and we are trying to nail everything down. Your insights and experiences have been both so entertaining and invaluable!

We have opened up a reservation on the second day in Bora Bora for a tour that seems interesting. Has anyone heard about this? He also requires six people also. 

MAOHI NUI
Private & Group Tours
Lagoon Tours - Polynesian Lunch Feast
4x4 Tours
Po Box 261 - Vaitape 98730 Bora Bora - French Polynesia

I can't imagine going on this trip without all these tips - I think I would miss out on so much!!

We are indeed trying to organize a private tour on Moorea, we would like to do a combo tour of Jetski and Quad with Moorea Activities Center and I have some concerns as their initial schedule is to get us back to the port by 3.45pm - this will be too late. I can check whether they can adjust their schedule but if they have other people joining from hotels, that might not be an option. I also would hate to start my vacation with stress for being late..

For the early tender tickets in general, we have a couple  (with a child) joining  us and they are known to be late..always :-)  Would I be able to get a tender ticket for them before they actually show up? I might get them there for the first tender, but most likely not to sit and wait there.

Regarding the tips for Fakarava, although it seems a wonderful tour, I tend to get seasick and I might not be up for it. Also, it doesn't sound suitable for a 2,5 year old - we will try to do most excursions together with our friends (except the jetski, we really love this and will go without them). 

VeroKaren - this is the famous tour with Patrick. We are on the next sailing and we have booked this tour for our second day in Bora Bora. Can't wait!!!

Thank you, Hoopster and everybody else that is contributing to this thread. We are booked on the March 15 sailing, and we are trying to nail everything down. Your insights and experiences have been both so entertaining and invaluable!

We have opened up a reservation on the second day in Bora Bora for a tour that is Patrick's, I believe. 

Also, I noticed the Tohora tour that Petoonya recommends starts at 8:00am. Do you think this is an issue getting off the ship that early?  We are usually the first in line to be tendered off from the DIY groups, but have read here that it is more difficult in FP. 

AND…Hi Cayman09!  Feel free to email me privately. Love living in Vero!

MAOHI NUI
Private & Group Tours
Lagoon Tours - Polynesian Lunch Feast
4x4 Tours
Po Box 261 - Vaitape 98730 Bora Bora - French Polynesia

Having been to Tahiti  many times.....I think the best experienes  were  in Bora Bora doing the Wave Runners tour in the morning and then go on a snorkeling tour ( like Patricks , same places  but without the lunch) in the afternoon.  You can get any one of dozens of  guys with boats at the visitor pavilion.

In Moorea take the Wave Runners from the inter Continental Hotel  by Cooks bay... includes a sting rey encounter too !  

Book in advance for the wave runners for 1/3 the price as  O.   Wach person thus can get their own.  for less than 1

21 hours ago, Petoonya said:

If by any chance you have the opportunity to book the famous "Ato" in Fakarava- jump.

If you need an early tender ticket for any tours that are DIY, we were able to secure tickets by plopping ourselves in the front of the room and arriving 30 min early. Last Tahiti trip all of our snorkel excursions were DIY and had 8:15 and 8:30 meeting times, and we often had a group of 6-8 with us. It was no problem for the person distributing tickets get us all on the 1st or 2nd tender.

+1^  on everything Petoonya has said above and on this thread as a whole, especially Ato Lissante. That's exactly how we got our tender tickets, and were often walking into the theatre as the staff walked in to prepare the table/etc for the day (about 15-20 min prior to them handing out the tickets). They would prepare the table, O excursion tickets, etc etc... then call us up when they are ready. 

16 hours ago, Verokaren said:

Thank you, Hoopster

You're welcome :). I don't know anything about Maohi Nui

If you book, come back to the forum to let everyone know how it went!

11 hours ago, amitje said:

For the early tender tickets in general, we have a couple  (with a child) joining...

Also, it doesn't sound suitable for a 2,5 year old - we will try to do most excursions together with our friends (except the jetski, we really love this and will go without them). 

Wow... 2.5 yr old on this itinerary? That's very difficult in my sincere and humble opinion. I feel you may miss doing a lot of great things by "hanging out" with them as they may hold you back?

I would think many excursions (ie. especially boating like Patrick, Ato Lissante, etc) would have an age restriction?

7 hours ago, Verokaren said:

Also, I noticed the Tohora tour that Petoonya recommends starts at 8:00am.

2nd day tenders started very early if I remember correctly... earlier than 8am

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Having been to Tahiti  many times.....

Here's a guy I owe a ton of thanks to for all the info I picked up on this forum before my cruise. Much of my vacation was planned from advice from Hawaiian Dan, StanandJim, Orv, LHT280, Flatbush, pinotlover and I believe Petoonya replied to me several times prior to my sailing and review with questions.... lots of great experience and help here 😊

• Like 1

Maohi Nui is the official company name for Patrick’s organization in Bora Bora, so it’s Patrick’s tour..

I’ve noticed O’s prices for the waverunners, they are insane.. definitely going to book this in advance. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

16 hours ago, Verokaren said:

Also, I noticed the Tohora tour that Petoonya recommends starts at 8:00am. Do you think this is an issue getting off the ship that early?  We are usually the first in line to be tendered off from the DIY groups, but have read here that it is more difficult in FP.

We have been out twice with Simon of Tohora Bora Bora and the tour does not start at 8am. It's usually between 8:30 and 9am.

The tour providers know when a ship is coming in and accommodate a reasonable time for everyone to make it to the dock. For you or anyone else (I shared somewhere in here)......if you get to the lounge 15 min earlier than when they distribute tender tickets let the person distributing know that your tour is at 8:30. You will have no problem getting on the 1st or 2nd tender.

Tohora Bora Bora is wonderful yet a bit more challenging than a tour like Maohi Nui. Two of the five sites are in very deep water to see manta rays and eagle rays. Simon is like a big kid, so excited about the undersea world and a real character. He is an "ecotour" guide so you will only see sharks if they happen to show up, and won't feed or go to any sites where they are regularly fed. Going out again with him all day in April on Regatta. I've done Maohi Nui, Pure Snorkeling and Lagoon Service, and if your love is snorkeling Simon is the guy.  But you won't get a lunch and Polynesian entertainment- just fantastic snorkeling.

Lastly, Tohora Bora Bora's max number of passengers is 6. 🙂

Have a fantastic cruise! It's my favorite place in the world.

Edited by Petoonya

We have been trying to research any alternate activites on Raiatea and Rangiroa on Trip Advisor, and I am seeing very little.  Are the "O" excursions the only game in town?  Are there any beautiful beaches on these islands which would be accessible by tender?  

Thank you so much!

21 minutes ago, Verokaren said:

We have been trying to research any alternate activites on Raiatea and Rangiroa on Trip Advisor, and I am seeing very little.  Are the "O" excursions the only game in town?  Are there any beautiful beaches on these islands which would be accessible by tender?  

Thank you so much!

Rangiroa:  Based on reviews, we booked a snorkeling tour that does the Pass twice and then takes you to the Aquarium.  Search Rangiroa Plongee Dive Shop.  We ran across a couple tours to the "Blue Lagoon" but they looked to be too long to make it back to the ship before the 5pm departure.  There were a couple more trips to another spot called the "Coral Garden" that sounds a little rough, difficult.  The nice hotel appears to be called Kia Ora; perhaps they have some things or a day pass.

In Raiatea,  we have booked a tour for next year with Arii Moana, the #2 tour company on Raiatea according to TripAdvisor. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309691-d9869732-Reviews-Arii_Moana_Tours-Raiatea_Society_Islands.html 
In the past, many have booked with Bruno of L'Excursion Bleue. You can read our experience on TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309691-d2181691-Reviews-or30-L_Excursion_Bleue_Day_Tours-Raiatea_Society_Islands.html

Edited by ruthnlarry

On 1/10/2020 at 11:06 AM, Hoopster95 said:

+1^  on everything Petoonya has said above and on this thread as a whole, especially Ato Lissante. That's exactly how we got our tender tickets, and were often walking into the theatre as the staff walked in to prepare the table/etc for the day (about 15-20 min prior to them handing out the tickets). They would prepare the table, O excursion tickets, etc etc... then call us up when they are ready. 

You're welcome :). I don't know anything about Maohi Nui

If you book, come back to the forum to let everyone know how it went!

Wow... 2.5 yr old on this itinerary? That's very difficult in my sincere and humble opinion. I feel you may miss doing a lot of great things by "hanging out" with them as they may hold you back?

I would think many excursions (ie. especially boating like Patrick, Ato Lissante, etc) would have an age restriction?

2nd day tenders started very early if I remember correctly... earlier than 8am

Here's a guy I owe a ton of thanks to for all the info I picked up on this forum before my cruise. Much of my vacation was planned from advice from Hawaiian Dan, StanandJim, Orv, LHT280, Flatbush, pinotlover and I believe Petoonya replied to me several times prior to my sailing and review with questions.... lots of great experience and help here 😊

Thank you sincerely for the kind words.... pass it on.....do something nice  for someone you never met.....   Dan

There were no shore excursions for Fakarava. DIY in Fakarava last year consisted of my wife and I renting  bikes and cycling to PK9 for a remote beach experience. It felt like Gilligan's island. That was a lot of fun! If I could do it again though I'd rent an ebike. Riding 25 km that day was hot and windy.   They have no scooters for rental.  

P2030786.JPG

P2030785.JPG

P2030790.JPG

P2030798.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...