Dominican Republic

teacher/bartender

Alright - I know I've got a long time to wait, but I like to distract myself by planning cruises.  🙂

We have a March 2021 cruise on the Seaside.  Right now the stops include San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominican Republic and Ocean Cay.  

Yesterday I was just doing some DR reading and it seems like MSC has not been there before?  I can't find any info

on where they will actually dock, and can't find any info on the MSC site regarding excursions or things to do like they have

for their other ports of call.  

Was just curious what you - the experts! - know... I wonder if we really will stop there?  

Side note - this particular cruise has a funky itinerary (San Juan 5pm - 1am, St. Thomas 8am-2pm, then full day in DR and Ocean Cay).

Happy Friday!

On 11/22/2019 at 3:30 PM, jdvmd said:

Is this part of the Grand Voyage going to Puerto Plata? It's too far out to have excursions confirmed with vendors.

@jdvmd it’s just a 7 night cruise. I know it’s too far out but for all of their other ports of call they have a page with info about the port, and examples of excursions, etc. I can’t find anything about the DR on their website. Even when you go to the map, DR is not a choice for ports of call. So I was just curious. 😊😊😊

Puerto Plata is somewhat of a newcomer to the cruise industry. A new cruise terminal/welcome center is currently being built, and this port of call is starting to pop up on several itineraries across various cruise lines.

If you want to get a feel for what excursions or activities may be like, you can search for Amber Cove. This port was built by Carnival Corp a few years back and its in the vicinity of Puerto Plata, so many excursions and activities for ships docking at Amber Cove will be similar to the ones on ships that will be docking at the new Puerto Plata cruise terminal. To my understanding, only ships belonging to Carnival Corporation call at Amber Cove while ships from other cruise lines will call at the new terminal at Puerto Plata. Somewhat similar to Roatan, Honduras where Carnival Corp ships go to Mahogany Bay and all others go to Coxen Hole. 

Have a great cruise! 

Edited by Tapi

6 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Puerto Plata is somewhat of a newcomer to the cruise industry. A new cruise terminal/welcome center is currently being built, and this port of call is starting to pop up on several itineraries across various cruise lines.

If you want to get a feel for what excursions or activities may be like, you can search for Amber Cove. This port was built by Carnival Corp a few years back and its in the vicinity of Puerto Plata, so many excursions and activities for ships docking at Amber Cove will be similar to the ones on ships that will be docking at the new Puerto Plata cruise terminal. To my understanding, only ships belonging to Carnival Corporation call at Amber Cove while ships from other cruise lines will call at the new terminal at Puerto Plata. Somewhat similar to Roatan, Honduras where Carnival Corp ships go to Mahogany Bay and all others go to Coxen Hole. 

Have a great cruise! 

Ahhhhh ... this makes sense!!!!  I was mostly wondering "where" Puerto Plata is so I can see how far certain parts of the DR are from the port.  I have found lots on Amber Cove but also know is it just for Carnival Corp.  I'm looking forward to visiting the DR.  I hope the pier is done and ready for us in 2021!

• Like 1

When I cruised to Amber Cove 4 years ago, we spent the day with Iguana Mama. We did this hike up a mountain, and then literally slid down waterfalls for the rest of the day. It was a lot of fun, and I would highly recommend it. The guide was very knowledgable, and we enjoyed the day doing something we never would've done. The food and free drinks were nice too. Maybe it has changed in four years, as I went literally two weeks after Amber Cove opened, so now that the area is developing, things could be different, but it was very nice when I went. I loved the area, just not the port of Amber Cove, but you are on MSC so you shouldn't be going there. Enjoy your cruise!