Craft Beer in Tortola?

Bonnie1222

DH and I are not beach people (well, he isn't one to sit all day).  We LOVE to wander and explore in new ports and we also LOVE local craft beer.  Can anyone recommend someplace near the port that we can grab some local (smaller island brewery - not Red Stripe) beers?

Thanks! 

20 hours ago, blue_water said:

The only craft beer I know of is made by Cooper Island Brewery and I don’t know if they distribute to Tortola. Pusser’s Road Town Pub is near the dock but may not have any craft or micro beers. Not much help!

I will keep an eye out for the Cooper beer, and Pusser's sounds like a great place to stop.  I also need one of those signature drinks... Painkillers or something like that?  We will have all day to wander.  Maybe we will find a store and buy some bottles or cans of beer to bring back with us on the ship. (we sail Disney - and they let you bring beer/wine to your room at every port 😄 )

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 10:44 AM, blue_water said:

The only craft beer I know of is made by Cooper Island Brewery and I don’t know if they distribute to Tortola. Pusser’s Road Town Pub is near the dock but may not have any craft or micro beers. Not much help!

We stayed within the port for the day, and stopped at the bar and found Virgin Islands beer.  They were good, easy drinking.  Then we read the label closer... they are brewed in partnership with someone 20 minutes from my house in Florida.  😂

We had much better luck in St. Thomas.

DSCN5584.thumb.JPG.718e10f88c8d06bf82651967e05c9aff.JPG

DSCN5585.JPG

15 minutes ago, blue_water said:

“We stayed within the port for the day...”

What a shame, Tortola is a gorgeous island if even to see on a short tour. Hope you can return and see the real beauty!

If we go back we will do some more exploring.  We both thought we wo  DH was looking for a watch so that took up a good portion of the day.

Our server told us about a woman who makes fabulous Jamaican food so we found her and enjoyed some great Jerk chicken and we found the liquors we were searching for so all was not lost.  

I don't know of any LOCAL craft breweries in that area, but in addition to the two "faux local" beers above, the Virgin Islands Island Hopper IPA was very good (and they have it at the bar at the bottom of the baths).  You can also find some craft brews from St Croix in the area.  Leatherback Brewing Island Life Lager and Beach Life Ale were pretty good, and I found them near the port.

1 hour ago, kpjb said:

I don't know of any LOCAL craft breweries in that area, but in addition to the two "faux local" beers above, the Virgin Islands Island Hopper IPA was very good (and they have it at the bar at the bottom of the baths).  You can also find some craft brews from St Croix in the area.  Leatherback Brewing Island Life Lager and Beach Life Ale were pretty good, and I found them near the port.

Thanks for the info.  I'll make a note so I remember on our next cruise next year.

>> I don’t know of any LOCAL craft breweries in that area, but in addition to the two "faux local" beers above...<<
The Cooper Island Brewery beers are not a “faux local” if that is one of two you are referring to? Great island beers...

https://cooperislandbeachclub.com/brewery/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g2674307-d1062790-r641842750-Cooper_Island_Beach_Club_Restaurant-Cooper_Island_British_Virgin_Islands.html

• Like 1

I was referring to the two Virgin Island Brewing beers pictured above, which are actually brewed in Florida then imported to USVI and distributed from there.

That place looks great, though.  Is it anywhere near the port?

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Had a great summer ale at Soggy Dollar..thought it was locally brewed....several years ago at the same bar had one and it was from New Hampshire....didn’t care for Leatherback Lager...

Was the summer ale the one in my picture above?   

If it is it was good - it is a beer from the islands, but it is brewed by a contract brewer in Florida. You can't buy it in bottles in the US, but if you go to the tap room as the contract brewer you can enjoy it on top according the Virgin Island brewers.  

• 10 months later...