Help with Excursions in Panama Canal

I've read through many of the posts here and can't seem to find what I need so bear with me if my questions have already been answered. I'm fairly new to this.

My husband and I will be doing a full transit Panama Canal in April on Celbrity Infinity. He does not use a wheel chair but due a muscular problem he is what you could call a slow walker who looses his balance easily. He can climb small steps if they are wide enough and there is good support on both sides.

On our last (also our first) cruise he walked around the port areas of St Thomas and St Martin. This time he would probably do the same in Acapulco and Aruba but he really wants to try the tram ride in Puntarenas, CR.

Can any of you tell us how accessible these ports are and if the tram ride would be an option? I've sent emails to some of the private tour guides but haven't heard back from them.

Hoping someone has advice for us.

Happy Sailing

Connie

We did a Panama Canal transit on the Infinity a few years ago. The itinerary was a little different, but we did visit Aruba, Puntarenas, Acapulco and Cabo. My husband uses a wheelchair, but can transfer to a car or minivan so we hired a taxi to tour each of these ports.

My memory is that there was little to see in the port area of any of these ports. Specifically:

Aruba: Shopping is about the only choice within walking distance of the pier. The main street is about a 5 minute walk from the pier, but there is a small mall you can walk through on the way.

Puntarenas: I do not know about the tram. You could try to find out more through Celebrity, but I have found their information generally not to be accurate with regard to accessibility. For example, both Celebrity and Carnival told me that the aerial tram in Panama was not accessible and it was.

In Puntarenas, we docked at a comercial pier so there was nothing near by. Knowing that we would want to see a little of Costa Rica, I had hired a car and driver for the day through the web. We went to the hired a minivan for the day through a web site I found. We visited the Poas volcano which wasvery interesting, but a long drive from the port. It was about a 10 minute walk from the parking lot to the edge of the volcano, but our driver convinced the First Aid squad stationed there to drive my husband and our friend who was a slow walker which made it much easier. After leaving the volcano, we visited a natural habitat zoo which was hilly and probably would be too much walking for your husband.

Acapulco: There were a few shops near the pier, but not much else. We hired a taxi at the pier which took us on a tour of the city, mostly hotels, and then to see the cliff divers. We area we viewed them from would be accessible for your husband.

Cabo: Cabo is a tender port and it probably would be difficult for your husband to navigate the tender steps. If he can (or if there is a lift he can use,) there is a lovely walk along the harbor right at the tender dock, There also is a flea market across the street is he wants to browse.

I hope this helps a little.

Your answer and understanding of our needs will definitely help us in our planning. As with your husband he gets in and out of mini-vans all the time so hiring one looks like the way to go.

Most of the information that I've been able to get so far has been about people in wheelchairs. In some cases I think it might be easier to get around in a chair but the chair is not an option.

Thanks again

Connie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumping this one because we're really having a hard time finding an accessible tour in Puntarenas. The bus used for the ship excursions is not accessible which rules them out.

Del67, Do you recall what website you used to hire the car and driver?

Thanks to anyone out there who can help us.

Connie & Alex

cruisinfromcanada

I looked, but can not find website which used to we hired the van and driver, but I will keep looking.

However, I did find http://www.costa-rica-puntarenas.com/tours_puntarenas.php

which offers van trips. They have a 4 person minimum, but you might be able to find others on your cruise to join you.

I have done the canal from FFL to SAN and booked all excursions from the ship. Working with the excursions manager is the way to go (not the hired help).

I travel with a scooter so my needs are different but most of the excursions from the ship use the big buses and can deal with it all.

We did the Tram in PR and they too used the big bus to take you there and along the way we saw Howler Monkeys and back we saw Crocks. The tram is a mild thing itself and is pleasant and relaxing. You will see several types of jungle but no wild life. There is a trail walk that is a gravel path after the ride part. They have a nice visitor center and it is a nice excursion but not real exciting.

In ACA I would suggest the City Tour with the Divers it will give you the big picture and be little strain.

LET ME VENT, I swallowed a lot of ego to get in a scooter so I would not be a strain on my wife. I think ALL married people should consider their spouse and do what is easiest for them and park your ego in your hip pocket or some other location close by.

VENT COMPLETE

Vent all you want. You can be very proud of what you have done for your wife. It is not easy to admit defeat to oneself. So far hubby (only 47) hasn't been too bad but it gets harder as he ages and one day he will have to swallow his ego also.

I am curious as to how being in a scooter helps you get on the big bus. Are there not high stairs to climb getting on the bus?

Also, is it best to talk to the excursions manager once we board the ship or is there a way to do this prior to leaving?

I looked at your photos. They are great. You and your wife make a lovely couple.

Happy sailing

Connie

Vent all you want. You can be very proud of what you have done for your wife. It is not easy to admit defeat to oneself. So far hubby (only 47) hasn't been too bad but it gets harder as he ages and one day he will have to swallow his ego also.

I hope for your sake it is soon. Tell him to talk to me.:D

It is not defeat but a fact you have to live with using the term defeat is why many don't do what is best.

I am curious as to how being in a scooter helps you get on the big bus. Are there not high stairs to climb getting on the bus?

They put the scooter in the baggage compartment and I walk on the bus. I can walk but not far because of a bad heart.

Also, is it best to talk to the excursions manager once we board the ship or is there a way to do this prior to leaving?

You need to wait until you get on board. Of course check with special services before you go so you better informed and so is the ship.

I looked at your photos. They are great. You and your wife make a lovely couple.

I didn't put the best photos of my wife up because I don't want strange men calling.

Connie

Happy sailing

• 3 weeks later...

Del & Jukeboxy,

Thanks for the help from both of you. We have booked what looks like a really good tour in Puntarenas with Charlie Soto. I may even try the ziplining because Charlie says there is a place where Alex can watch. Alex is so determined to see this area that he has even agreed to using a chair if that's what it takes. That's a big step for him as you both know.

Happy sailing,

Connie

Archived