travel router

pootie316

Satellite's high latency & slow speed - even if you are successful in getting to the browser interface, it will be barely usable ... depending on your intended usage.  If it is blocked, odds are that the server detected the nano router's presence.  

Royal's satellite WiFi is much faster than that of NCL.  You will most likely be disappointed with the results ... if you get it to share the traffic.  

When staying at land hotels with decent speed ... restricted to a single connection - I have better luck & success with Edimax BR-6258n - should be able to find them (or newer equivalent) on eBay, Amazon, Micro Center, Fry's or B&H Photo ... 

https://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/wireless_routers_n150/br-6258n/

• Like 1

I've used GL-AR750's on several NCL ships (as recently as July), and all over the world.  I've been using various GL.iNet  products for years, and they're great and inexpensive!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBXMBQF/

One other trick - connect to the NCL wifi with your laptop, and sign in on the ships captive portal.  Then connecr your laptop to your travel router, and have it spoof your laptop's MAC address.   Finally. have the router connect to the NCL WiFi, and it'll 'think' the laptop has connected and you'll already be logged in.   Your phone can be used instead of the laptop too.

I know the MAC address spoofing works on the GL units  , not sure about the others you listed.

Edited by tombec1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tombec1 said:

I've used GL-AR750's on several NCL ships (as recently as July), and all over the world.  I've been using various GL.iNet  products for years, and they're great and inexpensive!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBXMBQF/

One other trick - connect to the NCL wifi with your laptop, and sign in on the ships captive portal.  Then connecr your laptop to your travel router, and have it spoof your laptop's MAC address.   Finally. have the router connect to the NCL WiFi, and it'll 'think' the laptop has connected and you'll already be logged in.   Your phone can be used instead of the laptop too.

I know the MAC address spoofing works on the GL units  , not sure about the others you listed.

You are a genius.  That is exactly what I needed to do.  Thanks so much!

9 hours ago, pootie316 said:

when you mention you have better ljuck with the edimax, do you also have the tplink?  If so, I might have to try one of those edimax's also.  Originally had a hootoo and that thing was junk.

I still have one of the older TP-Link nano travel router ... TL-WR702N supporting Bridge/Repeater mode, it would connect & change configurations as set-up, until it decided to drop the connection on its own, somehow.  

Hotel's "free" standard connections are still slow these days, some of them throttled/limited to 1-3 Mbps, usable for basic web-surfing, email but not streaming or hi-speed cloud access to remote servers, etc. The Edimax upfront cost was a little higher but worth it with wireless & ethernet ports and numerous configurations, seldom dropped a connection ... at 150 Mbps support, more than extra cushion needed for a good & smooth connection.  

Regardless of which travel router that you choose and setup to run, the bottleneck is upstream with the satellites ... until NCL's vendor deploy newer & faster strategies to cache the data traffic, you are still going to hit that wall.  Hardware that operates over the 5 Ghz band tend to be less congested than the 2.4 Ghz  ...