1st time on NCL Dawn, Please help with stateroom

cruisejunkie4ever

Hi All,

This will be my 1st cruise with NCL on the Dawn, Have been on Rccl, Carnival, and Princess, I have a Cat I deck 10 inside room, with 4 adults, and 1 15 month old.

How big are these rooms? am I crazy or should I spend the extra money for a mini suite?

I was on the Explorer 2 weeks ago in a Mini Suite and that was fine for the 4 of us,

The prices for the Mini Suite on the Dawn are big $$$.

I just wanted to hear from people who have been on this ship and direct me in the right direction.

Thanks

Cruisejunkie4ever

You can check out the size of your cabin at this site....

http://1stmatecruises.com/nclcabins/

Just enter your ship and cabin number. I would say you are going to be pretty tight in an inside cabin with 4 adults, I would consider getting 2 adjoining inside cabins so you would have 2 bathrooms. Check the price compared to the mini-suites (I'm not even sure they will have any mini suites that would sleep 5). The best solution, although pricy would be an AB suite with the extra bedroom and extra bathroom.

Are all the adults the same sex? I ask because it's really difficult to get dressed in a small steamy bathroom. When we stayed in an inside cabin (a little larger than the Dawn) my 16 yo son got ready first and we sent him along and met him in the dining room, so I could get ready.

The Dawn is a great ship ... have a good time...

I've been on the Dawn twice, going on the Spirit 2/19. Do yourself a big favor, and get a Balcony. I have 2 children, 5 1/2 and 20 months. She's cruised 4 times, he cruised once (so far). It's great to put the kids to bed, and sit out on the balcony, read a book, have a drink. The kids are so tired usually that they fall right to sleep.

I don't think the mini-suite was worth the extra money... we had the balcony the first time, mini-suite the second. The mini-suite did not have all that much more room, the closet was very awkward, and the big diff was it had a curtain that opened up/closed between the sofa and the beds. So you can close it and sit on the sofa, and watch TV. The balcony has a fold out "big chair" (twin), suite had the sofa.

My daugther's first cruise we couldn't get a balcony, and so sitting in the dark waiting for her to fall asleep (2 years old then) was a pain, and then I would cover her playpen that she slept in with beach towels so I could watch TV, with the volume very low.

Another thing I would say is bring your pack-and-play for the baby to sleep in, their cribs are big, and not in the best shape. I preferred our own, and I know exactly who slept in it, etc.

Trust me on this, get the balcony. It's very very worth it. The inside cabin is always dark too, so you feel like you're always getting up in the middle of the night, I've had that twice too...

I guess it depends on your mind set about the whole thing. We have slept 3 adults in an inside cabin and were just fine. Yes, it's not exactly spacious, but we had no issues with not having enough room for our luggage, or getting in each others way.

I can't speak for having a 4th person (or a baby) in there, but if you're like me, I figure that you only spend so much time in your cabin. So, if you want to save money on the cabin so you can spend it elsewhere, and as long as you go into it with a good attitude, it should be fine.

We have done this with both genders, and didn't have any trouble changing clothes in the bathroom. Plenty of room. But if you need more room, I liked an earlier posters suggestion about one sex getting dressed first and leaving the room so the others could have more room.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

Thanks for everyones replys,

I checked my TA's website and it looks like there are no BL that would sleep 4 so the next jump up is the Mini-

I was on the EXplorer 2 weeks ago and had a mini suite for the 4 and it worked out great, The Mini on the Ex was 265 + BL,

On the Dawn it looks like 229+ Bl

I would go for the extra room. That way your baby sitter has some privacy and it is more of a get away vacation for you. It would be much better than a mini suite in my opinion.

But if cost is an issue, enjoy what you have because it is better than stayiing home. The right attitude goes further than the extra space. And you seem to have the right attitude!

Hi there,

We're also booked in a quad cabin on the Dawn. Originally booked an inside but recently upgraded to an obstructed oceanview. There is a small (20 sq ft) difference in the room size and we felt the window would make things seem a little more open. We were also able to get a room that is "sideways". Have a look at rooms 8112/8116/8118 to see what I mean. I read on this board that although the square footage is the same, the furniture is laid out differently which gives you a little more floor space. We were disappointed to learn that in order to get a balcony for four we had to book a mini-suite.

We don't plan on spending that much time in our room anyway...too much to see and do!!! :) :) :)

Kathy

Hi All,

This will be my 1st cruise with NCL on the Dawn, Have been on Rccl, Carnival, and Princess, I have a Cat I deck 10 inside room, with 4 adults, and 1 15 month old.

How big are these rooms? am I crazy or should I spend the extra money for a mini suite?

I was on the Explorer 2 weeks ago in a Mini Suite and that was fine for the 4 of us,

The prices for the Mini Suite on the Dawn are big $$$.

I just wanted to hear from people who have been on this ship and direct me in the right direction.

Thanks

Cruisejunkie4ever

Stayed in an AF twice and they are not as big as it would seem at 229 sq ft for the cabin. The D4 on RCCL SOS felt bigger at 204 square ft - the bathroom takes up lots of room. There are not many drawers - just small shelves.

Hi Cruisejunkie,

We were very happy that we splurged for a balcony on our first cruise travelling with two small children (then 5 and 15 months). We found that with two little guys, we actually spent more time in the cabin than we anticipated. They needed more down time, quiet time away from all of the stimulation of new people and places, and it was nice to be able to look out and go out on the balcony for fresh air while still being right there for the baby.

On our second cruise we booked two adjoining balconies. It was even better to have a double balcony, and an extra bath. Last year, we had a grand suite on RCI Voyager of the seas. The perks were nice, double sink bathroom with a tub, snacks, concierge, and special lounge, but we missed having the second bathroom.

This year we will be in an AF minisuite which is probably not much bigger than the standard balcony and still has only one bath. But it sure is nice to step out onto the balcony.

My suggestion is to get a balcony. It will give you a bit more room to spread out, and that view when you wake up and have your room service breakfast is what cruising is all about for me. Now that the boys are older we spend less time in the cabin.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Everybody,

Well I tried for a BL but they count the Baby as a person (even thoe only paying port & taxs) So I had to go with the AF Mini-Suite, It seems like they are not so big (compared to mini-suite JS on RCCL) but if will be better the 142 sq Feet of the inside,

My TA also said the cruises out of NY are in demand so I should not wait for and Up Sell, but know in a mini suite if there are any my chances would be better being in a Mini Suite.

Can you guys tell me a little about the Mini Suite the perks, & when do they start giveing UP Sells

Thanks again

Mike:) :)

Hi Daisy

It will be My wife, babysitter (female), the baby & myself!

OMG, I would never imagine having the female baby sitter in the room with you and your family.

For one thing, make sure you are never in there alone with her.

Why not spring for 2 inside cabins? I can't imagine how you all can possibly enjoy a cruise with this configuration!

Hi TrinaLC,

The babysitter is also a friend, I am paying her way, so @ night the wife & I can go out while she will watch the baby back @ the cabin.

During the day & Dinner we will all be togther, (along with my sister and her BF) .

I do hear what you are saying, You have to be careful in this day & age!

CRUISEJUNKIE4EVER

You better REALLY love the babysitter because you are going to love her a whole lot less by the end of the cruise:). The room will get smaller with every passing day. Traveling with immediate family is hard enough. I love my wife but spending every minute on every day of a vacation is tough. Inevitably, at some point, nerves will get frayed. Add a crying baby and a babysitter, you may find yourself counting down the days until you can go home. Adjoining cabins would be the only way to go.

Archived