What to do after cruise but before flight in Hawaii.

TxGaCo

Looking for recommendations. We have a cruise on POA June 2020. Our flight home from Honolulu isn't until 9:45 pm the day we disembark. We will have already toured Oahu for 3 days prior to cruise. What should we do before our flight: Resort Day Pass, museum tours, suggestions please. TIA

7 hours ago, TxGaCo said:

What should we do before our flight: Resort Day Pass, museum tours, suggestions please. TIA

We had something similar a few years ago. We decided to rent a car and drive around the island to the North Shore for lunch then around the east side, looped back through Honolulu and dropped the car back off at the airport. Solved having a place for our luggage as we left it in the trunk and we saw a different side of the island. 

Turtle Bay Resort is a great place for a nice lunch either outside or in the restaurant with great views of the surf and the drive around the east side is very pretty. 

We have a full day private tour of Oahu scheduled, plus we will have toured Pearl Harbor, and we have a Luau reservation. Also, we have been to Hawaii a couple of times previously. There are 6 of us (4 adults and 2 children) and we will be disembarking on Saturday. I thought the kids might like to go to the beach, but then you  have to figure out where everyone can get cleaned up before the long flights home. Renting a car or couple of jeeps might be a good idea. 

I had the same dilemma. We were also on Oahu for three nights and had already done the north shore and Pearl Harbor.  I have a list of things I made that I could suggest. I’ll see if I can find it. Your flight is later than ours was so you have even more time. 

I looked at Resort Pass but most of the hotels that participate will not hold your luggage. Only Prince Waikiki said they would. They book up fast too.  

We ended up just renting a room at the Royal Hawaiian where we had stayed for the 3 nights prior. It was the best idea ever. It was so wonderful to just relax all day instead of running all over the place and worrying about our luggage. You could email wherever you are staying for the pre-cruise stay and see if they will give you a discounted rate for that one day.

One thing you might have time for that we didn’t is the Polynesian Cultural Center. I’m not sure about the timing though.

Edited by Beachiekeen

Here is my list I made. We did not want to rent a car since my husband had done so much driving.

Oahu ideas for final day:

Walking tour of Downtown Honolulu (with 1 hour tour of I’olani Palace ($20/$27/pp)) and lunch (could also visit nearby botanical gardens and/or Chinatown) [King K Statue, IolaniPalace, St. Andrew Cathedral, Aloha Tower/Observation Deck; approx. 2.5 mi]

• Must store/pickup baggage at pier 

Waikiki Trolley Tour ($25/pp) (downtown/botanical garden) 

• Must store/pickup baggage at pier

Resort day at Royal Hawaiian 

• Will store luggage; hospitality lounge; use of room; airport shuttle

• Can use pool, walk around area, have lunch

Tours by Locals (Various 4-6 hour tours; 10-2 $300+) [Take a private Honolulu tour with a local guide and discover the popular highlights of the city and island, along with the beautiful hidden spots few travelers get to see.]

https://www.toursbylocals.com/find_tour&area=380

• Will pick up/drop off at port

• Customizable; could tour east side, culinary tours, photography tour, downtown/Chinatown, etc

• May include luggage storage; dropoff at port or possibly airport

Doris Duke Shangri La Museum of Islamic Art (2.5 hour tour + lunch at Honolulu Museum of Art) ($25 + lunch/pp) [Built in 1937 as the Honolulu home of American heiress and philanthropist Doris Duke (1912-1993), Shangri La was inspired by Duke’s extensive travels throughout North Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia and reflects architectural traditions from India, Iran, Morocco and Syria.

Tours feature the public rooms of the main house and portions of the grounds. The group tour begins at the Honolulu Museum of Art with a viewing of the Arts of the Islamic World gallery. Visitors then board a 25 passenger shuttle bus for a 15-20 minute drive to Shangri La.]

https://www.shangrilahawaii.org/

• Tours 9am, 10:30am, 12pm (**May be a later one too, these are the only ones we could make)

• Must store/pickup baggage at pier and Uber (8.0 mi/20-30 min)

Sugar Plantation Tour with Roberts Hawaii ($125/pp) (9-2); [Stops: LEONARD’S Malasada mobile; HAWAII’S PLANTATION VILLAGE –allows visitors to experience what a typical plantation camp might’ve looked like and to hear the story of Hawaii’s multi-ethnic plantation history. 1 hour guided tour; KŌ HANA RUM – A guided tour at a locally grown distillery of farm-to-bottle KōHana Agricole Rum; and enjoy spectacular views of Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor and the Wai’anae mountain range. One hour guided tour, and rum tasting with lite lunch. If taking the Oahu Sugar Tour post-cruise, drop-offs at the end of the tour can include Waikiki or the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport.]

https://www.rhshorex.com/oahu/oahu-sugar-tour/

• Luggage storage and transport to airport provided

Custom Island Tours ($550) (10-3) [Customize your own private tour of the island of Oahu. Our tour usually includes Hawaiian cultural sites, geological history, remote beaches, and snorkeling with turtles. Choose your own stops or let our local experts guide you along the way!]

https://customislandtours.com/custom-island-tour/

Food & Cultural Itinerary with Hi5 ($149/pp) (9:30-2:30) - Picnic Style Morning Tea • KoAloha Ukulele • Alicia's • Highway Inn • Honolulu Beerworks Includes: food and drink tastings and lunch

• Hotel pick up available. Pickup locations must be within Waikiki - for locations outside Waikiki please contact us before making a booking.

https://hi5hawaii.com/hi5-activities.html#food-and-cultural-tour

Other:

- Rent a car and drive east side of Oahu and back to airport (Shaka app)

- Resort pass

- Do Pearl Harbor on Saturday instead 

- Use Uber to go directly to any sights we haven’t seen, Waikiki for lunch, then back to pier and airport

Edited by Beachiekeen