Careers onboard

Costacruiser98

This might sound stupid but lately I’ve been dreaming of working onboard. I really like the idea of meeting new people and traveling around the world whilst working on a ship. The thing is I have just graduated with a bachelor’s degree in biology. Not quite in the field of tourism 😕 Anyone can suggest any jobs related to my field onboard? 😂

I'm not sure which jobs you are eligible for but I can say onboard jobs are very low paying and Costa is the lowest paying of all cruise lines even lower than other Carnival brands like Aida. Also it depends where you are from whether they have a hiring partner in your country or not.

You need to get used to 8months on board and 2 months off. Work every day. Depending on department you will probably get a couple hours between breakfast and lunch especially if you are waitress/waiter or galley team. Usually even though you will only work 10hr/day its not 10hrs straight. The break it up to have you work bfast lunch dinner which is a real pain.

The pay in galley is $495usd/month but its tax free. Obviously free room and food. Though food is horrible. Internet is expensive. That is base salary plus guaranteed over time (40hr week + 30hr OT). That way they never pay you more. But they do pay you around $20/month for incentives based on itinerary, passenger numbers, feedback. This is to try and even out the different ships and itineraries.

Other departments are similar but you definitely want to have contact with passengers as you can get tips and if you have 20rooms to clean or 20 passengers to serve and a repeating 7day cruise you will double your salary in tips.

15 hours ago, BrianCruiser said:

I'm not sure which jobs you are eligible for but I can say onboard jobs are very low paying and Costa is the lowest paying of all cruise lines even lower than other Carnival brands like Aida. Also it depends where you are from whether they have a hiring partner in your country or not.

You need to get used to 8months on board and 2 months off. Work every day. Depending on department you will probably get a couple hours between breakfast and lunch especially if you are waitress/waiter or galley team. Usually even though you will only work 10hr/day its not 10hrs straight. The break it up to have you work bfast lunch dinner which is a real pain.

The pay in galley is $495usd/month but its tax free. Obviously free room and food. Though food is horrible. Internet is expensive. That is base salary plus guaranteed over time (40hr week + 30hr OT). That way they never pay you more. But they do pay you around $20/month for incentives based on itinerary, passenger numbers, feedback. This is to try and even out the different ships and itineraries.

Other departments are similar but you definitely want to have contact with passengers as you can get tips and if you have 20rooms to clean or 20 passengers to serve and a repeating 7day cruise you will double your salary in tips.

Thanks very much for the information. Will check more about hiring partners. I was thinking something to do with hospitality or entertainment. It does not have to be Costa of course. Just wanted to try it out for a year contract or so for the experience. After all as I said its not quite my path so I dont know whether I`ll be able to pursue a career on a cruise ship. But I`m definitely considering trying it for once. Are you currently working for Costa?

Wendy

In Google just type the cruise company and then "Career", most c ruise lines have their own career website.

Entertainment staff, singers and dancers come from a professional background. The activities / animation staff, are yolung with some experience in that field, so speak different languages and come mostly from country where the cruise line is based, i.e. Costa / MSC from Italy, AIDA from Germany. The hospitality staff would have had some form of hotel management train and will have to speak several languages (tell that by the flags they wear on their lapels).