Walking uphill through Wellington Botanic Gardens

PJOZ

I know most people get the cable car to the top of the hill in Wellington and walk back down through the Botanic Gardens, but wondering if anyone has done it in reverse and walked uphill to get the cable car back down? We are travelling with our teenage children, all of us reasonably fit with no knee issues etc, and trying to figure out if it would be a good work out with a rewarding view at the top or  just plain crazy. Last time we were in Wellington we got the cable car both ways so missed the gardens. I don't really enjoy walking downhill, and welcome the chance to incorporate some exercise into our shore excursions, but don't want to attempt it if it is going to be really un-fun. Not sure if there is a cable-car station half way up we could get if it is too hard? Any local advice welcome. 

Thanks, Penny

Hi Penny

I'm a pretty fit guy, and I personally think better to go downhill than uphill. It is quite steep in some sections.

Better to enjoy a nice meander down, than a huff-and-puff up 😉

ps: The garden is ABSOLUTELY worth a visit - my wife and I really enjoyed the diversity of the plants!

Depending on your route it can be steep in places but if you’re not in a great hurry, very do-able. If you’re into local history, I suggest a route through the old Bolton Street Cemetery (the entrance is beside The Bolton hotel, near The Beehive). There is a wee box at the entry where you can grab a free map of notable ‘residents’ from the city’s earliest beginnings, with brief but interesting stories). Follow the path uphill, across the overpass, and you’ll eventually come out at Anderson Park by the Seddon Memorial, just opposite the Rose Gardens and Conservatory of the Botanic Gardens. There’s a cafe there where you can recharge your batteries before climbing up to the Cable Car. The gardens are a mix of native and formal gardens and heading uphill will force you to pause occasionally to ‘smell the roses’. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just realised I said I'd report back - a bit late! Just in case anyone has searched this and wants to know the outcome - it ended up that half our party were down with a cold that day, so we had a more leisurely but lovely day wandering the waterfront, hired the crocodile bikes and the kids did the climbing wall. So can't report on the uphill walk sorry I will have to try that next time!

Edited by PJOZ