P & O Caribbean book flight seats?

Curranv1

Hi all-

we’re with P & O travelling Manchester to Barbados for Caribbean cruise on Azura in January 2020. The time came when we could book specific seats on ‘plane. Cost was £35 each per trip -£140 for both of us. We went on our 1st cruise last Christmas on Britannia and I did book the seats then but they were £25  -£100 round trip. The cost now seems prohibitive. Does anyone know if we’ll be sat together anyway? £140 is almost cost of an excursion. 

Also, correct me, but I don’t think it’s possible to check in online to be able to get seat numbers -think check in is at airport? 

I realise we won’t be seated on the roof (!!) and wherever we seat we’ll both arrive in Barbados but think I’m getting a bit spooked by not paying for seats. Obviously the cruise is expensive so maybe shouldn’t skimp on the flight? Any info appreciated

thanks 

58 minutes ago, Curranv1 said:

Hi all-

we’re with P & O travelling Manchester to Barbados for Caribbean cruise on Azura in January 2020. The time came when we could book specific seats on ‘plane. Cost was £35 each per trip -£140 for both of us. We went on our 1st cruise last Christmas on Britannia and I did book the seats then but they were £25  -£100 round trip. The cost now seems prohibitive. Does anyone know if we’ll be sat together anyway? £140 is almost cost of an excursion. 

Also, correct me, but I don’t think it’s possible to check in online to be able to get seat numbers -think check in is at airport? 

I realise we won’t be seated on the roof (!!) and wherever we seat we’ll both arrive in Barbados but think I’m getting a bit spooked by not paying for seats. Obviously the cruise is expensive so maybe shouldn’t skimp on the flight? Any info appreciated

thanks 

Were you not able to select specific seats when pre-booking and paying the supplements? Just interested because we'll be doing this in a few weeks for our flight to Barbados.

We are flying to Barbados from Manchester in January on TUI to join Brittania- I booked our seats (paying £140) the first day the seat allocation was released.  We are flying Premier Economy and by the time I logged on early morning, many of the seats were already booked and I couldn’t get the seats I wanted (nearer the front) - there appeared to be some seats blocked.  I’ve since checked to see if these may have been released and nearly all of the seats are now booked, only a couple of odd seats are left. If it’s important to you to sit with your partner I would be tempted to bite the bullet and book your seats, even though I agree the price is ridiculous.

We have decided, for the first time, not to book seats. Its a ridiculous price and the likelihood is that at worst we'll be siting across the passageway from each other. Theoretically it means more space and its easier to move around so we'll suck it and see. If I were sitting in Premier seats I would definitely book seats because of the TUI seat configuration.

Seats numbers are not allocated until you get to the airport.

Edited by dgs1956

We are flying from Gatwick to Barbados in February with TUI on a saver fare cruise.  I logged on the day the seats were released and prebooked ours.  It was £35 per person each way, but we could choose our seat numbers and already have the confirmation.  However, there were very few seats left, as all those who don't book saver fares can log on much earlier and book their seats.  It is a complete rip off, of course, but for an 8.5 hour flight we didn't really want to be split up.

Many thanks all for replies. I almost caved in and paid to book seats on aircraft but like dgs1956 we’re going to take our chances. If we’re split up I’ll just annoy whoever I’m sat next to! So, instead when we’re in St Vincent we’ve booked day trip to Mustique. Cost is £228 after loyalty discount so bit more than booking seats with Tui but feel that offers more for our money. Thanks again 

1 hour ago, Curranv1 said:

Many thanks all for replies. I almost caved in and paid to book seats on aircraft but like dgs1956 we’re going to take our chances. If we’re split up I’ll just annoy whoever I’m sat next to! So, instead when we’re in St Vincent we’ve booked day trip to Mustique. Cost is £228 after loyalty discount so bit more than booking seats with Tui but feel that offers more for our money. Thanks again 

We're flying on December 7 so will let you know how it goes.

To dgs1956 -many thanks & much appreciated. 

Also configuration of plane had a bearing: 3/4/3. I’m not anti social, honestly, but prefer when can book just 2 seats together. 

I suppose, to be fair, not adding this cost to the cruise fare still leaves us with a choice but also gives Tui/P & O some revenue. 

Thanks again all

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 7:11 AM, Curranv1 said:

To dgs1956 -many thanks & much appreciated. 

Also configuration of plane had a bearing: 3/4/3. I’m not anti social, honestly, but prefer when can book just 2 seats together. 

I suppose, to be fair, not adding this cost to the cruise fare still leaves us with a choice but also gives Tui/P & O some revenue. 

Thanks again all

We have just returned today from Caribbean to Birmingham today on TUI Dreamliner. The seat configuration is 3-3-3 (2-3-2 in Premium). For the first time we decided not to book flight seats. On the outboard flight we arrived just over 3 hours before departure and were ASKED which seats we wanted and we chose a window and middle seat together. On return we were allocated two aisle seats across from each other. So, it worked out very well for us but to be honest I'm not really sure if I would do it again. Incidentally, we had the opportunity on board to book our seats for the return flight.

• Like 1

DGS1956 - Thanks very much for taking the time to post your experience. It’s much appreciated. It seems it worked out really well for you -well done! We fly from Manchester at about 1130 so it’s no hardship to arrive 3 hours before the flight. 

So, on outward journey you were asked if you wanted to pay for seats on return journey? 

Many thanks again and hope you had a lovely holiday. 

6 hours ago, Curranv1 said:

DGS1956 - Thanks very much for taking the time to post your experience. It’s much appreciated. It seems it worked out really well for you -well done! We fly from Manchester at about 1130 so it’s no hardship to arrive 3 hours before the flight. 

So, on outward journey you were asked if you wanted to pay for seats on return journey? 

Many thanks again and hope you had a lovely holiday. 

Yes it worked out very well for us both ways. As far as I could make out, most people who hadn't booked were more or less in aisle seats across from each other. We were asked on the ship if we wanted to pay for our return flight seats. It is in the Horizon Paper about midway through the cruise. They set up a Flight Desk to pay for them. We didn't bother. Good luck.

Thanks again for more information. Aisle seats are fine and mean you can easily get up and walk around without disturbing passengers adjacent. Like you, we will take our chances both ways. It will be a good test for future cruises. 

Have a lovely Christmas! 

• Like 1

Do a dummy seat booking, at least you will have an idea of the vacant seats which will be offered at check in.

Next cruise try MSC, they also fly Gatwick to Barbados to connect to 14nt. cruise. No one can jump the queue and reserve their seats, they are all allocated free at check and they do the almost to seat couples together. 

Edited by mickey89

10 hours ago, Curranv1 said:

Hi there Mickey89

Thanks for the tip and good thinking. I'll have a look at what's left. Also I'll have a think about MSC - cheers!

Val

You might get to sit together for 10 hours, but you will then have to spend 14 days on MSC!  I think I'd prefer to sit apart and then be on P&O,  Princess,  Celebrity, HA etc.

57 minutes ago, Curranv1 said:

Ha -I don’t know anything about MSC but did like P & O last year. I’m not that desperate to sit together-it’s just a long time to sit next to strangers! 

Strangers are just friends you haven’t met yet 😉😀

• 1 month later...

Hi all -quick update-we flew out on 24th January and got seats together-window and centre on Tui Dreamliner albeit they were seat 42 but that was fine. After fab holiday on Azura we got same seats for return journey so all good.

However, flight was delayed until next day due to a technical fault. We were all put up in varying hotels but allocation was by seat number. Obviously we were at the end. Hotel was fine although no food or drink offered as it was midnight. It was only 2 star but air con was good and hotel clean and nice pool. We got decent breakfast and lunch and returned to Barbados airport at 1pm. Some did get really good hotels with drinks and food but we were there such a short time it was fine. 

In summary we didn’t pay £140 to book seats together but sat together anyway-no brainer really. 

Hi -many thanks but yes I have claimed. However, when using Resolver it directs to Tui . States Tui no longer recognise Resolver but the Tui site was straightforward and seems like same format. Hopefully we’ll get the 600 euros each which will help towards the next cruise! Thanks again -Val