Just back from SD2 Nov 30th

Tiki_Man

Good morning all.  I did not do a very good job of updates during the sailing but will try to give a brief summary now and a full review later.

31 passengers total.  Yep, that is correct, just 31.

Weather was perfect, made all the ports.

Update on embarkation in Marigot.  The ship is actually at the commercial Marigot pier, just around the corner from the sailing "circle" pier.  Very easy entry and they have an air condition tent with chairs if you arrive slightly before 2pm.  All very nice.

I will try to attach some pics and add more later.

Happy to answer any questions 

Cheers

Tiki

20191129_110231_resized(1).jpg

20191130_075437_resized(1).jpg

20191123_133718_resized(1).jpg

20191123_133704_resized(1).jpg

20191126_163303_resized(1).jpg

20191128_212334_resized.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:47 AM, Jim Avery said:

Very nice Tiki. That dock looks like a much better way to embark. I particularly enjoyed your picture of the “brown flash” through your drink.😎

Jim, SD still uses the marina port via tender if St Marteen is a "regular" port stop, but for embarkation/disembarkation as well as provisioning and refuel if needed, they use the commercial port. 

To all that are interested, if using a Taxi Service from the airport or local hotel, make sure they know to drop you at the commercial port in Marigot.  (two of the pictures above are of that area).  Very clean and easy but nothing else around.  SD works with the local Agent and they provide a very nice Popup tent facility that has chairs, some couches and a couple tables plus air conditioning if you arrive early to wait for the "welcome aboard" at 2 pm.  Luggage is taken care of immediately so just a simple relaxing wait. 

That sunset photo was Nevis day and the horizon was perfect.  I was up top at those corner hightops and tried to be artistic (not a natural skill) and got lucky with the shot ( and then finished the beer haha).

The other pic's are splash day in White Bay (first time they had been in the water this season, it was like a bath tub that day), then the San Juan pier as we were driving away,   The Marigot pier, then my "sundrop" beverage and finally the Tiki's at Foxy's that was an unexpected stop.

Also - the lovely Mrs. Tiki asked me to update that we are on the Nov 23rd sailing, not the Nov 30th sailing (I used Nov 30th in the title by mistake - thinking that was the day I actually made the post - my bad).

Cheers

Tiki

20 hours ago, cabosal1 said:

How was the cruise with only 31 passengers? Just curious. 

Cabosal1 - great question (and I will provide more detail in the full review).   Seems Thanksgiving week is a slow week - they were 82 the week before and 79 got onboard on Nov 30th (ironically we have sailed on Thanksgiving week twice before and found that it is a less crowded week - just 45 pax on a previous Thanksgiving voyage.

Everyone was very surprised at only 31.  Naturally we never waiting on anything (94 staff for 31 pax is amazing). The downside was that it was hard to fill any type of excursion that required a "min number" - so very few actual excursions. 

The upside is that I spoke with every other passenger at some point during the trip which is difficult if there are 90 or 100 onboard.  After the first evening people did start to "break off" into groups, as is typical of SD.  There were a couple of families of 4 (no small children, all adults) that typically ate together, then a group of 3 couples from Norway that stayed together.  A German Couple kept to themselves but were still very friendly, an older well traveled couple, and then the "oh that group" of passengers.  6 couples all about the same age that included some "first time on SD" to seasoned SD passengers from both overseas to different locations in the US.  The "extra" to make it 31 was the representative from Arnaud di Briniac champagne that was onboard to host the Wine Tasting (more on that later).

Honest, the entire set of passengers seemed to get along fine.  Some folks would dine together or just be to themselves for a meal but no issues at all other than a spirited Name that Tune competition.

I will comment that the F&B staff seemed bored at times (although we tried our best to but a dent in the alcohol supply) which did allow them to actually spend time conversing with the passengers.  It was a nice way to get to know some back stories of the crew.   

The upside for SD was that they were able to do some things around the ship to get ready for the next voyage or just general maintenance and it never took away from the passengers enjoyment - so at the end of the day it was a wonderful experience. 

Tiki

Some Staff update info on the SD 2 Nov 23rd voyage.

Captain Steinar - although he is going home soon.  (and Capt Lund is on SD1 currently)

Tomaz - chef (simply amazing)

Jamie - Hotel Manager - things ran perfect all week

Gareth - Club Director, just came back on the 23rd (so much fun to catch up with him again)

Seve - Matre'd - getting his feet wet and very good

Anna - Activities (that smile and laugh is so memorable)

Frudy - front desk but she is going back to SD 1 very soon (her husband is other there)

Gareth - Chief Bartender (with Bryon and Connor)

F&B staff - Michael, Louie, Raja, Emir, Fernando and others

Hats off to the hardest working staff at sea.

Sorry if I left anyone out

Cheers

Thanks for the update, Tiki.  Our sailing after New Year's is now drawing close.  We can now say it is next month.  In contrast to your cruise, ours is wait listed.  Oh my!  I don't know how I am going to cope with such crowds.  Long lines at the buffet and waiting for our number to be called to get off the ship.  I gather you were in the "oh, that group."

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, TrapperZimmy said:

Thanks for the update, Tiki.  Our sailing after New Year's is now drawing close.  We can now say it is next month.  In contrast to your cruise, ours is wait listed.  Oh my!  I don't know how I am going to cope with such crowds.  Long lines at the buffet and waiting for our number to be called to get off the ship.  I gather you were in the "oh, that group."

Trap, I can neither confirm or deny that the Tiki's were part of "that group" (still trying to figure out if possible to remove the matching Tattoo's we all got at Foxy's one night).  Overall "the group" was not too over the top, just enjoyed the TOY late in the evening most nights although there were a couple of new libations invented and there may not be any champagne left for this weeks voyage.

Trap, the crew was already provisioning for the New Years voyage so you should be in good shape, just be ready for the constant ship wide announcements and the newly installed "kids" slide at the pool and the Rascal charging stations throughout the ship.

23 hours ago, Tiki_Man said:

Trap, the crew was already provisioning for the New Years voyage so you should be in good shape, just be ready for the constant ship wide announcements and the newly installed "kids" slide at the pool and the Rascal charging stations throughout the ship.

Can we finally look forward to the art sale and gold by the inch?

• Like 1