Nassau Beach on our own

cat2610

I'm traveling with a group of 4 in Dec. We want a Beach day in Nassau without having to do a resort day pass. I researched and thought I'd settled on taking the Jitney to Love Beach. After reading some reviews I'm reconsidering.  Junkanoo looks quite crowded. Does anyone have recommendations or experiences with the public beaches using the busses to get there?

On 12/1/2019 at 6:00 PM, cat2610 said:

I'm traveling with a group of 4 in Dec. We want a Beach day in Nassau without having to do a resort day pass. I researched and thought I'd settled on taking the Jitney to Love Beach. After reading some reviews I'm reconsidering.  Junkanoo looks quite crowded. Does anyone have recommendations or experiences with the public beaches using the busses to get there?

I know you would like to avoid getting a resort pass, but I took my 7 and 12 year old daughters to the British Colonial Hilton in June.  I was wanting to be very frugal, and it seemed like a good options.  The kids passes are half the price of the adults (82/42), and both come with food/beverage credit (40/20).  The food is pretty expensive, and you can wipe through the credits quickly, but you can also eat on the ship before you leave and after you get back.  There were FIVE ships in port that day, maybe even 6, and the Hilton was not crowded at all!  Just super busy right when you get off the ship.  Private beach, restrooms, pool, bar/wait service.  There is snorkeling equipment free to use, as well as paddle boards and kayaks.

I am looking to go as cheap as possible for our next trip in Jan 2020, so I'm following along here for suggestions 😉  I have heard that Junkanoo Beach is free and in walking distance, and I read that some of the other nicer beaches do not have restrooms.  

46 minutes ago, dlphn501 said:

I know you would like to avoid getting a resort pass, but I took my 7 and 12 year old daughters to the British Colonial Hilton in June.  I was wanting to be very frugal, and it seemed like a good options.  The kids passes are half the price of the adults (82/42), and both come with food/beverage credit (40/20).  The food is pretty expensive, and you can wipe through the credits quickly, but you can also eat on the ship before you leave and after you get back.  There were FIVE ships in port that day, maybe even 6, and the Hilton was not crowded at all!  Just super busy right when you get off the ship.  Private beach, restrooms, pool, bar/wait service.  There is snorkeling equipment free to use, as well as paddle boards and kayaks.

I am looking to go as cheap as possible for our next trip in Jan 2020, so I'm following along here for suggestions 😉  I have heard that Junkanoo Beach is free and in walking distance, and I read that some of the other nicer beaches do not have restrooms.  

Saunders beach does have restrooms, and the beach looks nicer than the Hilton/Junkanoo. We went to the Hilton back when it was $15 pp, was not impressed with the beach, especially since cable and cabbage are gorgeous (but no restrooms).

On 12/1/2019 at 6:00 PM, cat2610 said:

We took a group of 7 to love beach last december.  I had planned to take the bus, but we were all but harrassed by taxi drivers after getting off the boat.  They assured us that it wasn't safe to take the bus and that we should take a taxi.  it cost us $100 round trip for a group of 7 to love beach.  our driver was very accommodating, left us his number and confirmed a pick up time to get us from love beach.  the beach was an amazing place to relax for the day.  conch shells everywhere, and when my kids picked one up, a little octopus crawled out.  my husband and i took our own snorkel gear and the snorkeling there was great.  the kids had fun exploring along the rocky areas and finding sea glass.