Mariner of the Seas and the Beverage Package

Question for the masses - in the review I linked above (check it out, great pictures/review) - Anita Latte is posting the beverage menus on Mariner and I noticed some changes from the last pics I saw.  In those, most of the cocktails were $12, the exceptions being largely the specialty cocktails in the Bamboo Room.  Now, it appears everything has flipped.  The Bamboo Room specialty drinks are now $12, but almost everything other than beer in the Schooner Bar and the English Pub as well as a large section of the Bolero's menu now shows $13/drink.  If I'm not mistaken, the Deluxe Package only covers drinks up to $12, so does that mean I'm going to get dinged $1 for every drink I buy in the Schooner, etc?  If so, I'm not too fond of the idea of getting charged for a beverage package under the auspices that most drinks are covered, only to have them raise the price afterwards so that at least half the available cocktails are no longer completely included.  I also notice she mentioned the Bamboo Room was empty most of the time, are they maybe trying to herd business in there to justify the cost of adding it in the refurb?

Anyone sailed on Mariner recently with the DBP that can maybe clarify and let us know if they were getting hit with $1 charge at all these bars?  TIA.

I was on Mariner in March and the limit was $13 for drinks.  The drink package signage said otherwise but we were told the package was up to $13.  The Bamboo Room specialty drinks were $14 in March, so we had to pay the extra $1 on those.  I find it's funny they dropped the menu prices now!  So no idea if the Mariner package limit is back to $12 again or $13.  

The bartenders did let us know each time the drink would exceed the package price, though.

Edited by AshleyDillo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I was on Mariner in March and the limit was $13 for drinks.  The drink package signage said otherwise but we were told the package was up to $13.  The Bamboo Room specialty drinks were $14 in March, so we had to pay the extra $1 on those.  I find it's funny they dropped the menu prices now!  So no idea if the Mariner package limit is back to $12 again or $13.  

The bartenders did let us know each time the drink would exceed the package price, though.

That's good to know.  It seemed like an odd move to suddenly be charging everyone $1 a for > 50% of the cocktails on the published menus after buying the package.  I think they may have been thinking the Bamboo Room was lightly trafficked because the people with packages saw $14 on the menu and were avoiding the place because they didn't want to pay the overage.  Perhaps by dropping them to $12 (and $10 for the "classic cocktails",) they're trying to drive more business there.

We have sailed Mariner a lot and never got charged extra for drinks.  Husband drinks Makers/Ginger of Grey Goose and OJ.  At night he drinks Grey Goose Espresso martinis and I might get a Patron Margarita.  Never have had an issue with our package not covering the cost of anything

11 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We have sailed Mariner a lot and never got charged extra for drinks.  Husband drinks Makers/Ginger of Grey Goose and OJ.  At night he drinks Grey Goose Espresso martinis and I might get a Patron Margarita.  Never have had an issue with our package not covering the cost of anything

I haven't either, I just got... well, I don't know if "alarmed" is the right word, but... when I saw that the majority of the cocktails that I had always seen listed at $12 were now $13, I was surprised.  All the data on the package still says it only covers drinks up to $12 on all ships but the Oasis class, so I had a vision of having dozens of $1 charges on my sail & sign, which seemed like an odd choice by RCL.  Doesn't appear to be the case, though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

I haven't either, I just got... well, I don't know if "alarmed" is the right word, but... when I saw that the majority of the cocktails that I had always seen listed at $12 were now $13, I was surprised.  All the data on the package still says it only covers drinks up to $12 on all ships but the Oasis class, so I had a vision of having dozens of $1 charges on my sail & sign, which seemed like an odd choice by RCL.  Doesn't appear to be the case, though.

Your concern is duly noted, and acknowledged.  It was valid.  You did the right thing to consult the CC "hive mind".  I am glad that your concerns could be allayed.  🙂 

• Like 2