How to surprise kids with cruise as Christmas gift

dlphn501

My kids and I (girls, ages 8 and almost 13) will be cruising in January, and it's their Christmas gift.  I would like to do a scavenger hunt to lead up to the big reveal, but I need some ideas.  I was thinking where you would normally find another clue, they will also find a clue as to what the gift is.  One of the items will be a small box of rubber ducks so we can do the #CruisingDucks.  For the final item, I was thinking about them finding their boarding passes.  Or recycling their old S&S card from a prior cruise (I have one from same ship) and using Sharpie to change the date.  Or both together.  I need help with clues!  I need clues for the actual hunt, and more cruise-related "clues" (like the ducks). 

2 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I like your idea about finding boarding passes. How about putting them in a box, in a box, in a box, and wrapping each box? That's what we used to do when our daughters were your kids age. 

I thought about that too - my in laws like to do that with huge gifts for my husband and BIL.  But I thought the scavenger hunt would be more fun, and a way to give it to them a day or two early since we have multiples families to visit on Christmas day.  

2 minutes ago, dlphn501 said:

I thought about that too - my in laws like to do that with huge gifts for my husband and BIL.  But I thought the scavenger hunt would be more fun, and a way to give it to them a day or two early since we have multiples families to visit on Christmas day.  

Ahhhh, I see. Since they won't be unwrapping them on Christmas Day, they will have a lot of time to find them. Not a bad idea. 

My parents, DD (8) and I will be sailing in early January. We did not tell DD about this cruise. We've wrapped up 3 separate gifts---a pair of water shoes, a long sleeve rash guard and the final box with her t-shirt from our last visit to CoCo Cay with her boarding pass tucked inside.