Arriving early in San Juan... drop my luggage?

daylight come and

All right, this one's for any of you with experience cruising with Carnival out of San Juan. My group of four is leaving SJ on the Fascination on Feb 2. This will be the 6th time doing this particular itinerary for me. But every other time we've flown in to Puerto Rico a few days early, spent some time checking out the island, and then check out of our hotel around noon to wander over to the ship to board.

This time is different. We're flying in Sunday morning, landing around 5:30 am. Our check-in appointment at the ship is 1:30 pm. Which means we have about 7 hours to kill in between. I would rather do this without having to keep my luggage with me.

Any idea if Carnival has some accommodation for dropping off luggage early? I know they're very busy in the morning getting the previous week's guests off the ship and clearing the way for new guests to board. But figured it was worth asking. Thanks!

ps... I emailed this question to my PVP at Carnival last week, but no response yet. 

7 hours ago, daylight come and said:

All right, this one's for any of you with experience cruising with Carnival out of San Juan. My group of four is leaving SJ on the Fascination on Feb 2. This will be the 6th time doing this particular itinerary for me. But every other time we've flown in to Puerto Rico a few days early, spent some time checking out the island, and then check out of our hotel around noon to wander over to the ship to board.

This time is different. We're flying in Sunday morning, landing around 5:30 am. Our check-in appointment at the ship is 1:30 pm. Which means we have about 7 hours to kill in between. I would rather do this without having to keep my luggage with me.

Any idea if Carnival has some accommodation for dropping off luggage early? I know they're very busy in the morning getting the previous week's guests off the ship and clearing the way for new guests to board. But figured it was worth asking. Thanks!

ps... I emailed this question to my PVP at Carnival last week, but no response yet. 

There is a hotel almost right across the street from the pier. We used them to hold our luggage; it was after the cruise (not before like you) since we had a later flight and wanted to explore. But, it seems to me that it would be the same. There was a charge, but it was very small.

It was a major chain, I think Hilton, but I'm not positive that's what it was.

Actually, I think it might have been a Sheraton. But, it really does not matter. What matters is that they will store luggage for a small fee.

Edited by ontheweb
added last paragraph
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Actually, I think it might have been a Sheraton. But, it really does not matter. What matters is that they will store luggage for a small fee.

Yeah, it is the Sheraton. Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for. No way to find this kind of thing out except from people that have done it before.

I do not believe you can drop your luggage off at the port before 11:AM.  If someone else knows better, let them chime in.

There is a restaurant called Barrachina in OSJ on Forteleza St.  They open at 9AM for luggage drop off.  They will hold your luggage until you decide to board.  There is no fee.  Please tip and take advantage of their great Pina Coladas.  Enjoy. 

Edited by LittleYiaYia
sp.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, LittleYiaYia said:

I do not believe you can drop your luggage off at the port before 11:AM.  If someone else knows better, let them chime in.

There is a restaurant called Barrachina in OSJ on Forteleza St.  They open at 9AM for luggage drop off.  They will hold your luggage until you decide to board.  There is no fee.  Please tip and take advantage of their great Pina Coladas.  Enjoy. 

Yesssss... thanks for the heads up. Sounds perfect: hold my luggage, 9am, and pina coladas! I have no problem tipping well for that combination!

52 minutes ago, LittleYiaYia said:

You're welcome.  We are boarding Fascination on the 23rd.  This is our fourth time on this ship and itinerary.   Any questions?

No more as of right now! This will be my 6th time on this itinerary, but the first time with hours to kill Sunday morning. If I think of any questions between now and the end of January, I'll definitely send them your way.

When we cruised out of San Juan over the summer, you were able to check in, go onboard, and then leave the ship like it was a port stop. We were tired by then so didn't take advantage of it, but on our cruise they left late in the day so there was plenty of time to get off and explore if you wanted too. I wouldn't drag luggage around down there: As i recall, there were cobblestones and stairs that made it difficult.

On 12/17/2019 at 1:04 PM, LittleYiaYia said:

When are you arriving in San Juan?  So much to see and do, great food and wonderful people.  Easily our favorite port in the Caribbean.

We're arriving on Friday so we can spend 2 days there before the cruise. It's my favorite port as well. We decided to stay at the Sheraton so we can walk everywhere and walk to the ship.