Bringing Walking Sticks Onboard?

Kenswing

The wife recently had knee surgery and we have an 18 day Japan cruise coming up.  Since most of the excursions require a good deal of walking with a lot of it being up/down stairs and on uneven ground, she feels that a set of walking sticks will give her a little more support and confidence.

Has anyone taken a set of the collapsible ski pole type walking sticks onboard with them?  She can put on a blunt end on the tips so they don't have such sharp pointies.. lol

I have an inner-ear/balance issue that requires I use a walking stick for balance, even on steady dry land. I need it on board the ships even more-so due to the motion of the ship. I have used a single collapsible walking stick on board (and on excursions) for about 3 years. I have never had any crewmember question its use. I can think of no reason that using two sticks would be a problem.My stick has a removable rubber tip which I use at all times except when walking on hard ice surfaces.

Enjoy your cruise(s).

Edit to mention that the use of the rubber tips is necessary for use on the ship's hard-surface, marble, etc. floors, as the hard point can easily slide on those surfaces.

Edited by MGnut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I, too, often take walking sticks onboard for hiking. If I fly to port, I have the walking sticks in my carry on - usually attached in an external side pocket of my backback. TSA asks what the sticks are for, and when I respond I need them for walking, they have to let me take them as carryon - I guess the sticks are viewed the same as a cane.

• Thanks 1