Central Park Balconies

tomroach

We were in one on deck 14 on Oasis in September. Didn't hear any overhead noise. Loved the view to Central Park ( found it far more interesting and enjoyable than looking at the ocean) and the music in the evenings. No issue with heat and very simple to pull the curtains when dressing/undressing. Cheaper too.

Just an FYI, there's no longer a free bottle of wine for new bookings.  

We to are in the 'love it' category.  We have booked ocean view balcony, boardwalk balcony and central park balcony.  It's the central park ones that we keep going back to.  I love sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine and listening to the music from below, its mellow music, often a string quartet.  If there is no music they pipe in cricket sounds.  During the day they pipe in birds chirping which is nice.  Breakfast on the balcony, people watching, listening to the birds.  So calming.  

I am another one who laughs at the suggestion that you lose privacy.  There are two sets of curtains.  One is a light sheer that allows light into the room and the other is a set of black out drapes.  During the day we don't bother with either set closed.  In the evening we pull the sheers.  The only time I have been able to see in any ones room is in the evening when they don't have either set closed but they have the room lights on.  If its the same situation and the sheers are pulled you could possible see blurry shapes but you would not be able to really distinguish what the shape is.  Really, its no big deal.

I also have never noticed it being overly hot.  While I read that there is no breeze, that the air is stagnant, I disagree.  There is enough of a breeze that I never get hot even midday.  It's not a blow you away sort of thing like you get in an ocean view balcony but it's there.  Your not going to melt.  

Everyone is going to have an opinion and we are all going to feel that ours is right but its what's best for us.  I'm so glad I didn't listen to the naysayers and gave it a try because now I know it's my favorite.  You need to try it yourself and only then will you be able to judge if its right for you.  Maybe you will agree with the lovers, maybe you will agree with the haters.  What ever you decide, have a great cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

Just an FYI, there's no longer a free bottle of wine for new bookings.  

We to are in the 'love it' category.  We have booked ocean view balcony, boardwalk balcony and central park balcony.  It's the central park ones that we keep going back to.  I love sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine and listening to the music from below, its mellow music, often a string quartet.  If there is no music they pipe in cricket sounds.  During the day they pipe in birds chirping which is nice.  Breakfast on the balcony, people watching, listening to the birds.  So calming.  

I am another one who laughs at the suggestion that you lose privacy.  There are two sets of curtains.  One is a light sheer that allows light into the room and the other is a set of black out drapes.  During the day we don't bother with either set closed.  In the evening we pull the sheers.  The only time I have been able to see in any ones room is in the evening when they don't have either set closed but they have the room lights on.  If its the same situation and the sheers are pulled you could possible see blurry shapes but you would not be able to really distinguish what the shape is.  Really, its no big deal.

I also have never noticed it being overly hot.  While I read that there is no breeze, that the air is stagnant, I disagree.  There is enough of a breeze that I never get hot even midday.  It's not a blow you away sort of thing like you get in an ocean view balcony but it's there.  Your not going to melt.  

Everyone is going to have an opinion and we are all going to feel that ours is right but its what's best for us.  I'm so glad I didn't listen to the naysayers and gave it a try because now I know it's my favorite.  You need to try it yourself and only then will you be able to judge if its right for you.  Maybe you will agree with the lovers, maybe you will agree with the haters.  What ever you decide, have a great cruise.

One cannot add anything to this superbly summed up and in total agreement.

Great view if you like people watching, especially with formal attire as it is a wonderful area for pictures, especially at night. Very quiet with soft music at night. Like any cabin facing towards the promenade, Central Park, or Boardwalk, caution is to be taken at night as you also can be seen when cabin lights are on at night with drapes open. 

Never had a problem with being too hot.

Our first cruise on an Oasis class ship (Allure) was a Central Park Balcony and we loved it and did another and have one more booked. Perhaps I don't miss the ocean view so much because we live in South Florida and so the ocean year round is nothing new for us. I love the music, the birds and the serenity it provides.  I've never been hot nor worried about privacy.

• 3 weeks later...