Air question

johnandlinda

You don't say where you are originating or where you might transfer in the US (assuming you'd need to), but based on many years of international business travel, I always recommend landing in your final destination from a US airport. There are exceptions of course, but the benefits are many, including:

US connections are typically easier and familiar and done early in your journey vs connections while you are grappling with exhaustion and time change and navigating an unfamiliar airport and procedures. The EU connection means you may have TWO unfamiliar airports and processes.

It generally insures completing the longest segment of your trip last. Better for sleep and you can go directly  to your ship/hotel for showers (naps too - but that's another topic) and settling in. If you can sleep on a plane, you want the longest sleep you can get in one go rather than have it broken up.

If you're traveling in Business, be aware that Business class seats on inter-EU flights are almost always coach seats with the middle seat blocked. Again, better to go as far as you can in your "real" Business seat.

Possible downsides of US to final destination:

For a midsize market like Lisbon, you will have many more options from AMS, LHR, or CDG than you would from the US should things go awry - if cancellations, delays, etc are a worry.  On the other hand, labor disputes can arise (especially CDG) that can offset the EU connection advantage.

There's a good chance you'll be on an older aircraft, especially if on a US carrier. They "good" planes are reserved major markets. 🙂  JFK to AMS - brand new Airbus, Philadelphia to Lisbon, beat-up 767.  Again, no guarantee, just a shift of probability.

Probably rambled more than anyone is interested. If you want to post some routing options I might be able to offer better tips. 

• Like 1

Depends upon where you are flying from.  Our last 3 trips to Europe (including the trans Atlantic out of Lisbon we did last year) we flew SEA-AMS-LIS.  We made these choices because we figured once we got to Europe, we had easier access to where we needed to be if there was a snafu someplace.  IOW, I would rather have missed the AMS-LIS leg than one going over the ocean.  

We have flown from LAX  and YVR to Lisbon a number of times to visit family.  The option of a direct flight was not an option and we needed to first fly into or out of a major European hub...CDG, AMS, LHR etc.  The flights from Lisbon are usually early in the morning.

1 hour ago, johnandlinda said:

Thank you so much for the info! We are in Tampa and Delta currently has a direct flight to AMS. We are doing this for our river cruise in June. Looks like we have options connecting in JFK, Newark, Philly, and Washington for the Lisbon trip .

So much for my general rules!

I looked at Delta routings in June (specific dates could vary slightly of course) and if it were me I'd go for the AMS route. Depart TPA 7:25PM. That's a nice time; have a light meal and a long nap. AMS is big, but easier to manage than some. Arriving at 10:50AM; you will be between the crazy times.

There is a little risk, connection in AMS is an hour and forty-five minutes - PLENTY of time if all goes well. Gets you into Lisbon at 2:35PM. Personally, I would not risk arriving that late if I planned to board the ship the same day, but if you're coming in the day before you're in at an almost ideal time. You want to "localize" your sleeping patterns as quickly as possible and the "shorter" your arrival day the easier that easy.

And, at the moment at least, AMS is the low cost option!

JFK is OK too, but a long layover and very late meal on board - which I'd skip. 

Personally, I would fly non stop from Tampa to AMS instead of flying to, say, Philly and connecting to an international flight.  What about if your flight to Philly was delayed and you missed your connection?  If you miss your connection in AMS, there would be other air options to Lisbon, or you could take a train.