AARP Gift Cards

Hmdecor

8 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Have there been any more occurring problems with the e-cards they were mailing out? Is Carnival accepting them readily? I wish they'd return to the plastic cards they used to send out. 

I too would be much happier with a physical card.  This is the first e-card I've bought.  Ever.

It has a pin number but I haven't yet used it.   I'm a little nervous.  I will try it before I buy another one.  Tech and I are not comfortable companions.

10 minutes ago, pcvtmom said:

The e-cards I've received from AARP worked just fine!  I've ordered the last 3 months and used them with no problem.  I just wish they didn't limit the number...OR issued larger denominations ($500)!

More good news! Thanks! I don't think I can stand any more good news today. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Have there been any more occurring problems with the e-cards they were mailing out? Is Carnival accepting them readily? I wish they'd return to the plastic cards they used to send out. 

I bought one last month and didn't have a problem. I haven't seen anymore talk about issues since they came back to AARP.

I used mine to pay on our balance. You've probably seen me say this in other threads, but I've seen a few users say they weren't allowed to use the e-cards onboard to fund their S&S. Guest Services told them Carnival no longer accepted the e-cards onboard the ships. I don't know if this was isolated incidences or actual policy. I've only seen those 2 or 3 mentions of it. I don't think I want to take the risk. Any e-cards we buy, we'll use online.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I bought one last month and didn't have a problem. I haven't seen anymore talk about issues since they came back to AARP.

I used mine to pay on our balance. You've probably seen me say this in other threads, but I've seen a few users say they weren't allowed to use the e-cards onboard to fund their S&S. Guest Services told them Carnival no longer accepted the e-cards onboard the ships. I don't know if this was isolated incidences or actual policy. I've only seen those 2 or 3 mentions of it. I don't think I want to take the risk. Any e-cards we buy, we'll use online.

Thanks O.C. That's good advice! I think we're going to do the same thing. We'll use the g.c.'s to fund the S&S account once we get on board. 👍

• Like 1

Can we still use our Carnival Visa card to buy them.  Get a 10% discount and accrue points for cruises??

That's the way you do it ................ (money for nothin' and your chicks are free)  (Now get that earworm out of your head)

20 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I checked the balance on the e-card from AARP this morning and it was correct.  That was a relief.

Thanks OC for the Guest Services warning.  Very useful information.

Edited by bury me at sea

1 hour ago, Mavrick_RN said:

Can we still use our Carnival Visa card to buy them.  Get a 10% discount and accrue points for cruises??

That's the way you do it ................ (money for nothin' and your chicks are free)  (Now get that earworm out of your head)

Do you mean the Carnival MasterCard? Yes, my wife has one and that's usually what we buy the gift cards with. However, it doesn't count as a Carnival purchase since it's comes from AARP (their fulfillment company), so you won't get double points.

On 12/22/2019 at 5:58 PM, ChinaShrek said:

PayPal sells them directly at 10% off.  However, you can only buy them in $100 increments.

Where do you see them at 10% discount from Paypal?  I see them at full price.  Or was it just a promo?

26 minutes ago, sec1jrs said:

Carnival Cards are now available (01/21/2020 @09:15am).  Just purchase one a few minutes ago and with a credit card.

Thanks for the heads up, but they've been available on AARP for 2-3 months now. Ever since they returned after the trouble with the PIN's. Don't forget, you're limited to one per month.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Thanks for the heads up, but they've been available on AARP for 2-3 months now. Ever since they returned after the trouble with the PIN's. Don't forget, you're limited to one per month.

I guess its been a while since I purchase from AARP.  Thank you.  Hopefuly they will increase the denomination in the near future (since we are now limited one per month).

On 1/14/2020 at 7:22 PM, Organized Chaos said:

Just as a quick update to this...I just got off the Panorama on Saturday and I was able to use the e-card onboard.  I added it to my apple wallet, then just handed my phone to Guest Services.  No problem at all and the funds were available immediately. 

I usually prefer the hard cards, but this one was a gift while I was onboard so no hard card option available.  Thankfully it worked fine for me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sec1jrs said:

I guess its been a while since I purchase from AARP.  Thank you.  Hopefuly they will increase the denomination in the near future (since we are now limited one per month).

I'm not going to hold my breath. I think the monthly limit is set by the new rewards company they switched to that runs the new program. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that company can't handle a large demand for the Carnival cards, so limit purchases. Just my theory. People have been voicing their frustration (and downright anger) on the AARP community forums ever since AARP Rewards launched in Sept. They know people aren't happy about it, but they don't seem to mind. I'm not sure there's anything they can do. The good news is, they changed their minds on payment methods. When the new program launched, they'd only allow payment by PayPal, but they've recently brought back paying with a credit card.

If you have a spouse as a secondary on your AARP membership, they can create a Rewards account too. I've been told you can buy two cards a month that way, one on each account. I haven't tried it yet, but we're going to before the month is out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EllaDuChien said:

Just as a quick update to this...I just got off the Panorama on Saturday and I was able to use the e-card onboard.  I added it to my apple wallet, then just handed my phone to Guest Services.  No problem at all and the funds were available immediately. 

I usually prefer the hard cards, but this one was a gift while I was onboard so no hard card option available.  Thankfully it worked fine for me!

Thanks for letting us know. Judging by the fact that I've only seen it reported by a couple users on here, I kind of felt like it was a case of some Guest Services workers going rogue. If it had been new policy, it probably would've been talked about more on here. Even so, knowing my luck, I'll get one of those rogue workers who refuse to take an e-card. I still feel like I should play it safe and take physical cards.