United SFO to LHR: 777 vs 747

sfvoyager

For first or biz class things may be pretty equal, you may get a few more audio channels on a 777. The big difference would be flying coach where the 777 beats the 747. I have heard that if you get upper deck then book the 747 otherwise go 777. If you plan on sleeping, first class may be a better choice, for people who fall asleep easy on do not plan on sleeping I think biz class is fine. Food should be fairly equal with first class getting more choices.

I am still deciding between Business and First.

Any opinions about which aircraft on United has a nicer cabin/amenities in business and first- The 777 or the 747?

As to the planes-I would take the top deck, 747 everytime over 777 business. Much more quiet and private. Usually only about 20 J seats upstairs. And because it is upstairs, you do not have a lot of cabin "traffic".

I know nothing about service on United. I fly AA over 100,000 miles per year, so I can tell you about AA. But they don't fly 747, only 777.

I flew coach and biz on a 777 and have done both many times on the 747.

I found the 777 to be awful in coach, personally, in terms of roominess. In biz, it was really great due to how the seats were adjustable to recline, much nicer than the 747.

I always book the exit row in coach to make it more bearable but these days you have to have elite status on most airlines to do this in advance.

As to the planes-I would take the top deck, 747 everytime over 777 business. Much more quiet and private. Usually only about 20 J seats upstairs. And because it is upstairs, you do not have a lot of cabin "traffic".
I agree with this. I don't fly UA unless I absolutely have to, but I have had a fair few business class sectors on BA and Qantas, both upper deck and lower deck. I'd always pick the upper deck every time, if I had a choice. It's a bit like flying in a private jet, shared with only a handful of other people.

Archived