Docked from 8-2??

shellster1

So I'll be on a cruise that will be docked from 8 -2. At this port, I usually go down to Pillory Beach, but I'm unsure of this idea because I don't know if there will be enough time. I'm thinking of staying at the beach near the pier, maybe going over to Jack's Shack. My question is...What time will these beach bars/restaurants be open? Also, how is the beach near Jack's Shack? I have read the beaches near the pier are rocky. Any input is appreciated!! Thank you.

If you get off the ship early you might still have time to go back to Pillory.  But might be a bit pricey for the day pass given that you need to leave around 1P to get back to the ship before 1:30, which is usually the time they request passengers return by for a 2 PM  departure.

Yes the water on the south side of the pier and the excursion pier is a bit rocky.   But the beach is quieter than the Margaritaville side of the pier. Soft sand the other way up to Jack's.  Get off around 9 or 9:30 and wander up.  They have loungers, etc.  Or if you like just walking on the beach, go over to Governors Beach.  People find sea glass there.  You can walk all the way to Pillory along the water edge.   Stop at John's Ocean view or the Sandbar and grab a bite to eat and perhaps take a taxi from town back to the port.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:36 AM, crewsweeper said:

Or if you like just walking on the beach, go over to Governors Beach.  People find sea glass there.  You can walk all the way to Pillory along the water edge.   

Isn't there a fence at the pier by the wrecked ship, just before Governors Beach?  Is that easy to get around?

Yes there's a fence and private property or government property between Jacks and Governors.  But yes you can walk around it via the road.  Two ways:  either head out the cruise port by the parking lot and walk along the roadway to Governors; or, walk up to Jack's on the beach, exit through the front (around the side) of Jack's and then follow the road.