19 year old- wine at dinner- bad form?

Bethwte

Thank you for all of the helpful answers, both my parents and I really appreciate it. Also, thank you to the few of who commented on my maturity, I am very flattered. I will go ahead and enjoy my wine, now the only problem is what ones to pick; I'm definitely not skilled in the area of wine. I assume X will have very competent sommeliers for that though :D

A really fun thing may be for you to go to the wine tasting demo. On the Zenith it was $10 and we learned quite a bit about wines, things this old lady never knew and I think I know everything.LOL

Obviously I'm a little late chiming in. But it is YOUR and YOUR PARENT'S choice to do this. My opinion is, allowing a 19 y/o to drink wine with dinner depends on your individual situation. On our Horizon cruise in 2004, we befriended a family who had a 20 y/o DD, she was allowed to drink on the cruise. And she did so, VERY responsibly.

When I was a teenager in the New Orleans area, the legal drinking age was 18. It has since been raised to 21. But even so, I am not naive enough to assume any of my 4 kids were NOT drinking when they were out socially during their teen years.

The fact that your parents are willing to sign the consent/waiver to allow you to drink speaks positively for you as a young, responsible adult.

Enjoy your wine!

Karen

As somone who was raised by a French Mother, I feel that it is entirely appropriate for you to have a glass of wine at dinner! I certainly did when I was taking a cruise at your age. So much of this has to do with where you come from (say Europe versus America) and even where you live in the USA! In France, the legal drinking age is 14 (which I think is a bit too young)! Enjoy your Cruise! By the way, it's not about drinking, but about balance. I have seen more than my share of older adults drinking way too much on cruises!

The fact that you are concerned about what others think is a show of maturity and worthy of kudos, but my take is that if it is "legal" then it is OK. My daughter (20) has wanted to have wine at home, but we remind her that it is not legal for us to serve it to her until she is 21. She's a good kid and if it were just up to me I'd give her some (we often try really good wines), but the law is the the law. The bigger principle is teaching kids that it counts for something. That said, I've been known to go a bit over the speed limit on the freeway so I guess I'm as big a hypocrite as anyone else :o...

I think a good wine really enhances a dinner (like a good salad, dessert, coffee, etc.) Why miss that experience... while you're at it try the soups too, they are also legal :rolleyes:

Tom

It is legal. The ship is at sea. And it is Bahamian registered where the legal drinking age is 18.

A really fun thing may be for you to go to the wine tasting demo. On the Zenith it was $10 and we learned quite a bit about wines, things this old lady never knew and I think I know everything.LOL

appropo of very little. My wife and I went to an adult university(robert wagner sings its alma matter in "A night to Remember") for a week. I took the wine and cusine course she took antiquing, I drank, she shopped, I could have cared less :). For once everyone agrees. Having your child drink moderaltely with you, is IMO a good way to teach them to drink responsibly. I had my first drink at my grandma's house when I was ten. In NY when the drinking age was 18, I had my first drink in a bar at 14....its better that they learn from their parents than their peers...

But of course, when I was 18 it WAS legal to drink at 18 :D I think it is too bad they changed the law - I find more "kids" are sneaking around a abusing it than if it was "legal" - if you are an adult you need to learn how to behave as one, and learning to drink within reason is something you learn!!! (that's my opinion). If you were seated at my table it wouldn't bother me IN THE LEAST

ANYWAY ........

It is between you and your parents - I hope you enjoy yourself! :p

The fact that you are concerned about what others think is a show of maturity and worthy of kudos, but my take is that if it is "legal" then it is OK. My daughter (20) has wanted to have wine at home, but we remind her that it is not legal for us to serve it to her until she is 21. She's a good kid and if it were just up to me I'd give her some (we often try really good wines), but the law is the the law. The bigger principle is teaching kids that it counts for something. That said, I've been known to go a bit over the speed limit on the freeway so I guess I'm as big a hypocrite as anyone else :o...

I think a good wine really enhances a dinner (like a good salad, dessert, coffee, etc.) Why miss that experience... while you're at it try the soups too, they are also legal :rolleyes:

Tom[/QUOTe

If your state is like most, it is perfectly legal for you to serve an alchoholic beverage in your home.

Thank you for all of the helpful answers, both my parents and I really appreciate it. Also, thank you to the few of who commented on my maturity, I am very flattered. I will go ahead and enjoy my wine, now the only problem is what ones to pick; I'm definitely not skilled in the area of wine. I assume X will have very competent sommeliers for that though :D

Some of your fellow diners may also be happy to broaden your wine horizons! Tasting new and different wines is fun and educational, especially when shared! After 20+ years of wine tasting, I'm still finding new "favorites" as the years pass. Have fun and happy sipping!:D

As the 25 year old sister of a 19 year old, I will give you the same advice I always give him.....

Dont be stupid!

Very basic simple advice and yes he drinks on cruises - he just doesnt make a fool of himself. I am sure your parents realize that students in college drink and other people realize that as well. So enjoy yourself!

We will be on the same cruise as you, and love good wine. You might want to rent a DVD called 'Wine for the Confused' with John Cleese . It is pretty straight foward with good advice to help you choose something you like..

Don't let price and color be your only guide, we drink reds with fish etc. You might want to make friends with the wine stewart in the dining room. They can offer a taste to see what you like. Also remember that wine pairing ( wine with certain food ) makes wine taste different.

The last cruise had some great Spanish reds, and reasonable French whites. Thw U.S.A. selection was a little thin.

Se are on the Connie roll call thread if you want to ask anything else.:)

Archived