Vista February 8 2020

teddyton

Any one have words of wisdom about cruising work a broken leg.  Long story short, surgery 2 days ago and I am non weight bearing at minimum of 6 weeks.  Which is when we leave.  I will have a light weight wheelchair but wonder if a rented scooter might be better.  Thanks in advance.

Depends on a lot on difference things.  Do you want to be independent? Having no one to push you around? Do you need to keep your leg elevated at times during the day? Scooters do tend to take up more room. And can't be easily be stored i your cabin. Sorry, just things to think about.

Have you accessed a handicapped accessible cabin? Without this, the doorway may be too narrow to admit either a scooter or a standard wheelchair (without folding), and getting around inside the cabin with a wheelchair or scooter will be nearly impossible. Keep in mind that you will also have a step up/down to the bathroom in a non-accessible cabin.

In addition, pushing a manual wheelchair (I assume you mean a regular wheelchair, not a "transport" chair" around the ship yourself will be very difficult due to all the carpeted surfaces, and distances, unless you are in top physical shape.

If you need to have the leg elevated, renting a power wheelchair with elevating leg rest would be best, as it is difficult to do thisi with most scooters. Regardless, take the manual wheelchair too, as you will need this to use ashore, and for the airport to/from your cruise.