Trivia commitment

Reef Knot

I understand that trivia is a popular event , but from what I've read it appears that you have to form/join a team at the beginning of the voyage. If this is the case does it mean that one should be committed to attending every trivia session so as not to let the team down?  

My wife and I like the idea of playing trivia but maybe not every time. So would it possible to turn up randomly and just play as a couple ? 

Thanks

Nick

Trivia is only on sea days and only for an hour. It's a good way to meet and get to know a few people. Team sizes vary, and it seems ok to drop out or for some people to join a team halway through. Teams accrue points over the course of the cruise, so if you miss a couple of rounds it is no sweat as no one is bigger than the team and answers are team answers.

Just disembarked from 19 day Ovation cruise ( our inaugural big ship cruise) and contrary to the norm posted above we occasionally had Trivia on a port day, it was not always held at noon on sea days and points were not cumulative. Our team of ten waxed and waned with the cruise. 

19 hours ago, Chairsin said:

Just disembarked from 19 day Ovation cruise ( our inaugural big ship cruise) and contrary to the norm posted above we occasionally had Trivia on a port day, it was not always held at noon on sea days and points were not cumulative. Our team of ten waxed and waned with the cruise. 

OMG

The world is going to hell in a handbasket. Is nothing sacred?

Is this another big ship thing? Or some new directive from Seattle? Or just some capricious whim of a tyro CD?

Another data point:  we just got off the Sojourn, and we had trivia at noon on sea days and at 4:30pm on selected port days.  Daily prizes and cumulative prize, but no bidding for cumulative 2nd place.  So it all depends on the CD.

Edited by sfvoyage

sfvoyage: I didn't realize we had exchanged messages on this board before we met on our trivia team. To answer the original question, yes you can play as a couple but it's much better to be part of a large team. It significantly increases the odds of someone knowing the answer. Our team was very committed to trivia and always showed up. We finished in 2nd place. 

... Valerie [My handle name is alithecat because I had a cat called Ali.]

2 hours ago, alithecat said:

sfvoyage: I didn't realize we had exchanged messages on this board before we met on our trivia team. To answer the original question, yes you can play as a couple but it's much better to be part of a large team. It significantly increases the odds of someone knowing the answer. Our team was very committed to trivia and always showed up. We finished in 2nd place. 

... Valerie [My handle name is alithecat because I had a cat called Ali.]

Hi Valerie, how funny, I had no idea! I have been emailing your husband earlier today and will email you tomorrow.  Hope you are adjusting back to real life with ease...

On 12/21/2019 at 6:53 AM, Reef Knot said:

I understand that trivia is a popular event , but from what I've read it appears that you have to form/join a team at the beginning of the voyage. If this is the case does it mean that one should be committed to attending every trivia session so as not to let the team down?  

My wife and I like the idea of playing trivia but maybe not every time. So would it possible to turn up randomly and just play as a couple ? 

Thanks

Nick

There seems to be an inverse correlation of port days and trivia seriousness. On a port intensive cruise when times vary and some port departures are late stays, there can be a more casual approach and team membership can sometimes be fluid.

On trips with a lot of contiguous seadays, transatlantic (I'm guessing) and definitely trans-pacific, there was more consistent attendance at noon trivia -- and cumulative scoring. (There might have been the added incentive of brunchy mixed drinks.)

But either way there often were pickup teams or room to play ad hoc on smaller teams.