Laundry on Zuiderdam

travelingman

Since we will be in a suite we will have the free laundry and dry cleaning service.

However, my wife is leery of using the service because she is concerned about them using hot water and as a result the clothes shrinking.

Of course being a man - I say great - free laundry so I only need to take 1/2 of the clothes I would normally take and a shriinking clothes problem never even crosses my mind.

I would like to find out from those of you that have used the laundry service if you have had any problems with shrinking clothes?

I am talking about clothes shrinking from the laundry service and not the dining room shrinkage problem.

Thanks for your help.

By all means use the complimentary laundry service. You may not want to send delicates, but we have never had a shrinkage problem and everything has been laundered and pressed beautifully. It is one of the best amenities, along with the Neptune Lounge and Concierge, of booking a Suite. You will get your laundry back on hangers and/or folded in a wicker basket, everything pressed including underwear.

We send things out at least every other day and if you don't use the service you are cheating yourself. Your cabin steward takes care of delivery of laundry to and from.

No we have not never toured the laundry.

A long time ago we asked the concierge about the hot water and we were told that they always use hot water because of sanitary purposes. Therefore if you are worried about certain items being washed in hot water, don't send them out. It is also the same with the dryers - hot!

We've never had problems with shrinkage either but, on a long cruise I neglected to keep a copy of the laundry slip and didn't check when we got our things back. Consequently we "lost" 2 pairs of jeans and 2 shirts. They were never found. My fault, shame on me!

Friends on the Oosterdam lost the underwear they had sent to the laundry a day before arriving in London where they were to spend another week. I think they were partially reimbursed.

We love the laundry and drycleaning service, they do an excellent job but remember to always keep a copy and check what is returned to you.

GN

We have only had laundry problems once. That was on the Oosterdam and it was on one of its initial cruises. In that case not only us but others had clothing returned in less than perfect condition. My recommendation is not to send out anything that cannot stand heavy-duty treatment. Remember dry cleaning is also an option.

Archived