Booking a group cruise

blaneyliss

This might sound like a silly question, but only having cruised once and it was for my honeymoon with obviously only 2 of us, I'm not sure how group rates work.

We are thinking about going on the Carnival Sensation on 9/25. We aren't sure yet how many people are going with us, but we have at least 5. So, when I checked the cruise rate I put 5 people in, and it came up with a cost for the first 2 passengers, then a cheaper rate for the other 3. Now I figured you just average that cost and that is what we each pay, but it got me thinking- is it cheaper because they make 5 people cram into 1 cabin? I had assumed that they arrange you 2 to a cabin, but now I'm concerned I am probably wrong in thinking so. Please tell me how this works!

Also, say the first 5 of us decide to go ahead and purchase our cruise- if later on others decide to join us, am I correct in assuming they will have to pay the undiscounted group rate and their rooms will probably be in a totally different spot? I hope I'm not sounding too ridiculous here :) Let me in on any info you have!

There is a difference between booking a group cruise and booking multiple passengers in a cabin.

You can usually check the online travel agent websites for the costs for multiple passengers, but you have to actually contact a travel agent directly to get group cruise rates. The cruise lines have different group cruise benefits so it can depend on which ship you cruise. Just like for individual bookings, travel agents can give different group cruise perks too.

The good thing about group rates is that the rates are good for immediate reservations and future ones. Be sure to discuss this with the travel agent to see what is the minimum you'd need to book to get the group rates and also to keep the group rates. As far as I know, group rates are usually based on number of cabins booked, not number of passengers. Check this also with the travel agent.

I'm doing my first group cruise as an approved Cruise Critic group. Most of the work is done by the travel agent once you set up all the details. I'm sure it works the same for any other group cruise.

You do not get a group rate on most lines until you have 8 cabins. This is usually 16 people, assuming double occupancy. If there are 3rd/4th/5th passengers in any cabin they do not count towards meeting your group numbers. What you are calling a group rate is actually reduced pricing when putting more than two people per cabin.

When you put 5 people in on Carnival's site, it gave you pricing as if all 5passengers were in one cabin. The first two passengers in a cabin pay full fare, subsequent passengers pay a reduced rate. If you want just 2 to a cabin, you will have to book it that way, and the pricing fore everyone will be the higher number you saw. Additionally, the 5th person, if in a cabin by themselves, will have to pay a single rate, which is generally 150%-200% of the rate.

If others decide to join you it will depend on the rates in effect at the time, if there is capacity for extra passengers, and what cabins are available. Not all cabins hold more than two people, and those that do tend to sell faster.

The rooms aren't really any bigger. Typically, on Princess anyway, the two extra beds come down from the ceiling so you have a bunk bed type of situation. We've done 4 in a cabin a number of times with our two teenagers, so it's doable, but I wouldn't suggest it if you can afford the extra cabin. If cost is an issue and putting 4 in the cabin is the only way you can afford to go, it's totally worth it! Just learn to schedule your shower time!

I am in charge of a group cruise that departs March 11 on the Golden Princess. We have 16 cabins booked thru the group and an additional 5 booked elsewhere. (long story) Anyway, get yourself a really good TA as it will make your life a lot easier if your group gets larger!

if you do a group cruise does everyone pays the same? or does it depend on the type of cabin everyone is getting? I wonder because of the 3rd/4th person reduced price. So far we have 12 people so that is 6 cabins, i need to come up with 2 more couples in order for us to get a group rate? or should I let everyone do their own booking on the same ship? also for a group booking do we have to all have the same type of cabins?? thanks!!

You don't have to have the same type cabins, but the perks you get will be based on the lowest cabin booked. To be a group, you all have to book as a group, which is why you need a good TA. Do not book individually. If you think you can find the extra two couples later, your TA can hold the group space, book the 6 you have now, and let you know how long you have to fill the last two cabins. FYI, once you have the 8 cabins, most lines will give you one fare free (not including taxes,fees, non-commisionable portions) based on the lowest cabin booked. As a group, you can split that reduction among you, it will be about $50 per person if you have inside cabins booked. Higher if everyone went for pricier cabins.

Archived