Mediterranean - last week of April.

Wishing on a star

I am seeing an itinerary that we like!  But,  I would mean holding off until April 2021. (well over a year... ugghhh!!!)

This is the last week of April.  I thought this might be great.  But, now am looking at weather details and averages.  And, it looks like it might be rather chilly, and maybe a bit more chance of rain.   I didn't count on swimming,  but overcast and 65' for most of the trip might not be the ideal.

Does anyone here have any insight into cruising Eastern Med,  with Italy and Greece, etc., that early in the year?

This might be a kicker for deciding on this itinerary, or with going ahead with Fall 2020.

Edited by Wishing on a star

We did that itinerary in 2019. The temperatures were warmer than usual in the upper 60’s and low 70’s which was perfect for seeing the sights. We did have several days of rain/overcast so umbrellas or rain gear are essential. Dress in layers and you will be fine. 

Conversely we did a med cruise in 2018 from end of October to mid November and it was almost 80 in Naples. Way above the average and what we were expecting so it can be a total crap shoot. I will say shoulder season is the best time to go; crowds are smaller and the lower temps make all the walking and hustle not overly exhausting. 

I did a 12 day Barcelona to Venice at the end of April 2011 and the weather was almost perfect!  Not too hot, crowds were minimal, great for sight-seeing.  A little cool for just sitting on the balcony, but on such a port-intensive cruise, not a big deal.  

I was a little apprehensive about the timing as well, but it turned out to be at least as good as the late September weather we had on a similar cruise in 2008.  Would not hesitate to go in late April again.

Edited by waiting2retire