IAH Budget Car Rental Questions

ToddWelch

Hi there, we are flying into IAH on a Friday night in January for a Saturday Carnival Cruise.  We were originally just going to use Uber or Lyft to get to the port on Saturday morning, but we just looked and noticed we can get a Budget Car Rental from the airport on Friday night and return to Texas City location for about $55 USD on Saturday morning.  It is about 17 miles to the port from there.  Does anyone know if they provide a shuttle to the port or we could just call a taxi or Uber from there.  This just gives us (group of 4) a little more flexibility on the Friday night to go out for dinner and get some last minute supplies at Walmart.  For the return trip we would likely just take an Uber or other transportation service.

Has anyone done this? 

1 hour ago, ToddWelch said:

Does anyone know if they provide a shuttle to the port or we could just call a taxi or Uber from there.  This just gives us (group of 4) a little more flexibility on the Friday night to go out for dinner and get some last minute supplies at Walmart.  For the return trip we would likely just take an Uber or other transportation service.

There is no shuttle service from the Texas City Budget car rental drop-off to the Port of Galveston.

We have done a similar thing with Orlando and a cruise out of Port Canaveral. Even if there's no shuttle service from the Texas City Budget location, I don't see why you couldn't get an Uber or Lyft to the pier.

But why not just go on down to Galveston on Friday when you fly in? Then you're there in the port city and many Galveston hotels offer shuttle service to the piers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Renting a car from Hobby airport and dropping it off in Texas City or La Marque. Depends what rental place I get it from. Looks like it would be $20 or so for an Uber from there to the port. We are flying in late Friday night and leaving on the Vista Saturday the 25th. Had planned to take Uber but it would be $90 minimum plus tip for 4 people and 4 large suitcases. Couldn’t just an Uber X with that much luggage and 4 people right?? This way we would have a car for the night and morning before the cruise to stop at a store or two. We are staying at Gaidos Friday night. Would drop the luggage and family off at the port then return the car and catch an Uber back. Not sure if many people do this but if there are people waiting for an Uber or something at the car rental place I would definitely have no problem sharing one with someone if I saw someone doing the same thing. Would be a cheap way to get back. 

Has anyone did this type of thing?

Thanks

• 1 month later...