Moorea - where does the ship port, Car rental?

eng58

Either in Cooks Bay (Opunohu Bay) or Papetoai and depends what other ships are in port. You should be able to find out by calling O.

Car rental agencies are through Avis- they have their own website https://www.avis-tahiti.com/en/

or Alberts https://albert-transport.net/vehicle-rentals/

They will both pick you up at whichever pier you let them know you'll be at 🙂

• Like 1

Seems to me we anchored out near the Intercontinental. The small port we tendered into had car rentals and a multitude of vendors pushing tours and local crafts. Our group had a prearranged private tour and we were meet there.

The anchorage was inside of the reef so the waters were super calm.

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Seems to me we anchored out near the Intercontinental. The small port we tendered into had car rentals and a multitude of vendors pushing tours and local crafts. Our group had a prearranged private tour and we were meet there.

The anchorage was inside of the reef so the waters were super calm.

Papetoai is the closest to the IC but if Paul Gaugain is in port you might dock in Cooks Bay. Have docked in both at various times on O ships 🙂

if you are looking for snorkeling or a tour most will pick you up right at the dock. We like Moorea Ocean Adventures and Moorea Activities Center.

22 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Papetoai is the closest to the IC but if Paul Gaugain is in port you might dock in Cooks Bay. Have docked in both at various times on O ships 🙂

if you are looking for snorkeling or a tour most will pick you up right at the dock. We like Moorea Ocean Adventures and Moorea Activities Center.

Having been to Moorea 6+ times...   I have never ever docked.   All was done by anchorage and tender.    Rental cars are at the airport You ca also rent Vespa scooters. except watch out for the packs of dogs that roam free.

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Having been to Moorea 6+ times...   I have never ever docked.   All was done by anchorage and tender.    Rental cars are at the airport You ca also rent Vespa scooters. except watch out for the packs of dogs that roam free.

You are correct- we've always tendered TO the dock. Sorry for my error.

There's no need to watch for "packs of dogs". Sadly there are many individual abandoned dogs who are only interested in refuse. As we were told locals adopt them when they are puppies and abandon them when they are not cute babies anymore. Spay/neutering is not believed in Tahiti, and the French government does not permit out of country adoption. It is a situation that breaks the heart of visiting dog lovers. The situation is bad on all the islands but nowhere worse than in Moorea.

On 12/30/2019 at 7:54 PM, Petoonya said:

Either in Cooks Bay (Opunohu Bay) or Papetoai and depends what other ships are in port. You should be able to find out by calling O.

Car rental agencies are through Avis- they have their own website https://www.avis-tahiti.com/en/

or Alberts https://albert-transport.net/vehicle-rentals/

They will both pick you up at whichever pier you let them know you'll be at 🙂

I am wondering where the Emerald Princess will dock in February. 
I can see the Papetoai pier on Google maps (marked as Tender Dock for Paul Gauguin) but I can't see another pier in Cooks Bay, do you know whereabouts it is please? 

24 minutes ago, debsjc said:

I can see the Papetoai pier on Google maps (marked as Tender Dock for Paul Gauguin) but I can't see another pier in Cooks Bay, do you know whereabouts it is please? 

We tendered from Wind Spirit to the southernmost point in the bay not far from the Super U Are market.  Are you  pretty sure that Emerald Princess will tender there?

• Like 1

Just now, Petoonya said:

We tendered from Wind Spirit to the southernmost point in the bay not far from the Super U Are market.  Are you  pretty sure that Emerald Princess will tender there?

Thanks. I don't know where we were tender to, probably wherever they usually put the largest ships 

43 minutes ago, debsjc said:

Thanks. I don't know where we were tender to, probably wherever they usually put the largest ships 

Usually the larger ships (over PG size) tender at Papetoai but don't hold me to that! I'm sure you could call Princess and find out for sure.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, debsjc said:

I can see the Papetoai pier on Google maps (marked as Tender Dock for Paul Gauguin) but I can't see another pier in Cooks Bay, do you know whereaTouts it is please? 

the only Pier for a ship is the Ferry terminal on the other side of the island    All the landings are done by tender and have been for years.   No ship docks in Moorea.   Tenders run to a small floating marina like slip   Same as Bora  The Emerald princess  will anchor  and tender....it will not dock at a pier. as there are NONE

• 2 weeks later...