Juneau - Glacier visit - blue bus, white bus or taxi

Harters

We'd originally thought that we would do ships excursion to include a probable visit to Glacier Garden as well as the glacier  but responses to my thread request for info now means we'll probably just go to the glacier on our own (the Garden not being that great in May).

So now, I'm wondering if there is any practical difference between the two companies offering a shuttle bus (such as greater frequency or bigger buses, that may move a queue along quicker)? I understand both are priced the same - currently $45.

Our ship will dock at 13.00 and we intend to go straight to the glacier. There are three of us travelling and the shuttle bus appears to be an easy way to get there and back (obviously we're not sure exactly how long we'd spend there). Another option would be a taxi, I suppose. Are these readily available at the cruise port? And, importantly, is it easy to arrange a return trip from the glacier?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

John

Edited by Harters

I suggest having a cab prearranged.   Big problem with your late arrival- everyone wants off the ship and cab line never fill walk up demand.    

A further suggestion is to just arrange ahead one way.   There is a lot or little to do there. And being on a fixed schedule is a negative.   Call for a cab at least 30 minutes prior to wanting pick up.   

21 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

Thanks! We like to walk...(and are cheap! $45 seems like a lot for a shuttle) so that is probably what we will do

The city bus is fine if you have the time and it's a nice day.   Not so pleasant when it's rainy and windy. 

Takes about an hr each way,  depending on the time of day, so be aware of your pick up point and return times.

The bus web pg is in the following link so you can check the schedule on your departure date.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443