Sun - speciality restaurants

ziggyuk

My next cruise will be the Sun and for the first time we have the dining perk (x5) which we have never experienced.

The Sun has:

À la carte:

Los Lobos Cantina

La Cucina Italian

Cagney's Steakhouse

Le Bistro

Fixed Price:

Moderno Churrascaria

No advance booking:

Teppanyaki

Sushi Bar

I quite like the drama of Teppanyaki restaurants, out of the other 5 which would you rate/choose or even double up one or two?

Love your experiences.

We were able to reserve Teppanyaki in advance in a cruise this fall.  As seating is limited, I would suggest reserving either precruise or as soon as you board.  It is fun and tasty.  A good use of a sdp imho.

We found the service and food in Le Bistro to be excellent on multiple visits over several recent cruises.  We have happily doubled up at Le Bistro on a five night cruise.  I usually get their filet with sauce on side...it is always perfect.  We like service and atmosphere there are better than Cagney’s, though if you have five, then Cagney’s makes sense if you like a steakhouse.

We like the appetizer/salad bar at Moderno.  The meats are not typically as delicate as the above restaurants, but lots of variety and a different presentation.

La Cucina is a lovely restaurant on the Sun.  The menu, as on other NCL ships, is rather standard Italian fare.  The setting and service are good, so we often go.

we are not sushi fans, so I have no personal experience there.  I rarely see more than a few tables occupied, though.

we have not tried the Mexican one.  The menu just did not jump at us when we have had the sdp and it is not included in our Platinum voucher options.  Some people comment that the prices are lower, so they pay there and save their spd for pricier places.

• Thanks 1

La Cucina (formerly known as Il Adagio) is a beautiful place to eat.  I can't tell how the food is now, its been a while since I've been on her.  But the atmosphere is fantastic, round booths or 4 tops in front of big windows.  Everyone gets a view.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

We were able to reserve Teppanyaki in advance in a cruise this fall.  As seating is limited, I would suggest reserving either precruise or as soon as you board.  It is fun and tasty.  A good use of a sdp imho.

We found the service and food in Le Bistro to be excellent on multiple visits over several recent cruises.  We have happily doubled up at Le Bistro on a five night cruise.  I usually get their filet with sauce on side...it is always perfect.  We like service and atmosphere there are better than Cagney’s, though if you have five, then Cagney’s makes sense if you like a steakhouse.

We like the appetizer/salad bar at Moderno.  The meats are not typically as delicate as the above restaurants, but lots of variety and a different presentation.

La Cucina is a lovely restaurant on the Sun.  The menu, as on other NCL ships, is rather standard Italian fare.  The setting and service are good, so we often go.

we are not sushi fans, so I have no personal experience there.  I rarely see more than a few tables occupied, though.

we have not tried the Mexican one.  The menu just did not jump at us when we have had the sdp and it is not included in our Platinum voucher options.  Some people comment that the prices are lower, so they pay there and save their spd for pricier places.

Thanks for all the detail, that is really good of you, Teppanyaki, Le Bistro, La Cucina & Cagney’s for steak will almost certainly be on the list.

I love sushi but not so much for dinner, it's more of a quick lunch stop for us so that will probably not make the list.

I love Mexican food too (who doesn't 😋), but I do see it as a "fill up" food rather than a dining experience so I'm not sure about that one either.

I quite fancy Moderno as I have never been to a Brazilian style restaurant, this might well be my 5th and final choice.

7 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

La Cucina (formerly known as Il Adagio) is a beautiful place to eat.  I can't tell how the food is now, its been a while since I've been on her.  But the atmosphere is fantastic, round booths or 4 tops in front of big windows.  Everyone gets a view.

Thanks for the second vote for La Cucina, thats sounds lovely, the setting and a beautiful restaurant can make a dine.

It's going to be great to have the opportunity to try 5 on my trip having not been to any speciality restaurants before.

4 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Thanks for all the detail, that is really good of you, Teppanyaki, Le Bistro, La Cucina & Cagney’s for steak will almost certainly be on the list.

I love sushi but not so much for dinner, it's more of a quick lunch stop for us so that will probably not make the list.

I love Mexican food too (who doesn't 😋), but I do see it as a "fill up" food rather than a dining experience so I'm not sure about that one either.

I quite fancy Moderno as I have never been to a Brazilian style restaurant, this might well be my 5th and final choice.

Thanks for the second vote for La Cucina, thats sounds lovely, the setting and a beautiful restaurant can make a dine.

It's going to be great to have the opportunity to try 5 on my trip having not been to any speciality restaurants before.

That sounds like a wonderful plan.  You may be able to get reservations in advance online or by phone.  If not, upon boarding, go to the main dining room just off the atrium; they handle all the reservations there on day one.  Or use the NCL app on day 1; that’s quick, too.

Moderno sounds like a good choice as your fifth restaurant.  Like you, we do not experience a Brazilian steakhouse on land, so it was especially fun the first time at sea.  Sometimes I meet people who rave about a great Brazilian steakhouse at home; wondering if Moderno will live up to their fav from home, I suggest they might try something they don’t get at home.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

We like the elevated rounded booths. Currently the tables by the windows are 2 tops.  Perhaps they reconfigured to widen the aisle.  Just adding that info so nobody reading gets upset if they cannot get a table for four right by the window.  Also good for people with mobility issues to know they may want to discuss seating arrangement in advance if party size is greater than 2.

33 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

That sounds like a wonderful plan.  You may be able to get reservations in advance online or by phone.  If not, upon boarding, go to the main dining room just off the atrium; they handle all the reservations there on day one.  Or use the NCL app on day 1; that’s quick, too.

Moderno sounds like a good choice as your fifth restaurant.  Like you, we do not experience a Brazilian steakhouse on land, so it was especially fun the first time at sea.  Sometimes I meet people who rave about a great Brazilian steakhouse at home; wondering if Moderno will live up to their fav from home, I suggest they might try something they don’t get at home.

We had an all you can eat Brazilian restaurant nearby that served big skewers of meat and was supposed to be very good but it was not successful and closed before I made a visit.

I love to try all different types of food, I'm always surprised NCL does not have an Indian restaurant on their ships. Is Indian popular in the US, it has practically become our national dish in the UK with people eating more curry than any other food. 

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

We had an all you can eat Brazilian restaurant nearby that served big skewers of meat and was supposed to be very good but it was not successful and closed before I made a visit.

I love to try all different types of food, I'm always surprised NCL does not have an Indian restaurant on their ships. Is Indian popular in the US, it has practically become our national dish in the UK with people eating more curry than any other food. 

Personally I love Indian food and it is reasonably easy to find in the US, though not nearly so common as in the UK.  You will typically find Indian dishes in the buffet. The buffet on the Sun is small than on the mega ships, so fewer options, of course.  Still, I think you will find some.  I do not recall if there were Indian dishes on dinner menus as well.

• Thanks 1