How long in Denali Post Cruise

Mckbeth212

I am looking for opinions on how long to spend in Denali post cruise at the end of May.  I understand there is limited access to the park until June 1st but we can’t stay that long.  We are interested in hiking and scenery more than cultural tours.  Would 3 nights be too long?  If we stayed 2 nights, we would basically have a day and a half there.  Your opinions please - Thank you in advance.  We are a group of 8 adults and this is our first trip to Alaska.

It would help to know how Denali fits into your itinerary.  Where would you be travelling from that morning and where's your next destination, and how are you travelling?  ie if you're travelling by train you won't arrive until 4pm so you're first day is pretty much shot.  

The shuttle bus to Toklat starts May 20.  When do you arrive?  Toklat is the edge of prime bear viewing area.  With the Park just starting to green up, hopefully you'll see plenty wildlife foraging along the edge of the snow line.

https://www.reservedenali.com/tours-transits/transits/toklat-river/

There are several maintained trails around the entrance area, plus the Savage River trail at Mile 15 .  Or were you planning to get off the bus and hike around ? I imagine that early season hiking could mean snow, slush, mud so you'd need to be prepared with appropriate footwear.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/dayhiking.htm

8 hours ago, Mckbeth212 said:

Probably arriving by bus on the 20th of May from the south.  We may spend one night in Talkeetna.

Skip Talkeetna  and spend that day in Denali.  I have never been able to figure out why people visit Talkeetna.  To me it is the ultimate tourist trap.  

DON

If you have the time and money, I'd say you should stay 3 nights.  It's a big park, and if you want to do some hiking, you won't have much time for it if you also want to travel far into the park by tour or hop-on, hop-off bus (which I recommend, for wildlife and scenery). 

I'm not sure the specifics of visiting in May and restricted access.

Some pics from my trip (in August).  Two nights wasn't enough for me.  https://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/denali-national-park-alaska.html