new alleged requirement freaking people out.. Middle Names..

scar4711

5 minutes ago, Fk3908 said:

Lol, you’ll be FINE. The panic that this has caused is just sad. THINK of all the folks who don’t have a middle name on their airline reservation but have it on their ID or passport. Have you heard stories of MASS amounts of folks denied access to their flight for this? Of course not. Enjoy your flight and cruise! 

Not going to lie, I am sort of panicking right now. I checked and our middle names aren't on the airline website info. Hopefully, this doesn't cause any issues tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Fk3908 said:

So please show me the long list of passengers who have complained about being denied boarding (and have missed their cruise) by said “minimum wage check-in clerk working for the local port agent” for not having a middle name attached to their Edocs....I’ll wait....

Idle curiosity.....why not spent three minutes to be sure?  Debate all you want about the why, contemplate the if, point to the “it hasn’t”, but a simple 3-5 minute call takes all that away.  I was standing in the security cue at Logan once upon a time not too long ago and watched someone lose it when denied access with a non real ID, while his wife kept saying I told you!  I guess my question for you is:  if NCL is telling you to do it this way, why not do it, more importantly, why do you seem to advise others to follow your lead?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VtMac said:

Idle curiosity.....why not spent three minutes to be sure?  Debate all you want about the why, contemplate the if, point to the “it hasn’t”, but a simple 3-5 minute call takes all that away.  I was standing in the security cue at Logan once upon a time not too long ago and watched someone lose it when denied access with a non real ID, while his wife kept saying I told you!  I guess my question for you is:  if NCL is telling you to do it this way, why not do it, more importantly, why do you seem to advise others to follow your lead?

Exactly, I called NCL yesterday and it took them all of 2 minutes to add my middle name. I checked my edocs as soon as I got off the call and it was done.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. NCL is paying your TA a commission to handle your complaints. So, they will refer you to your TA for all issues regarding the reservation. And don’t want to deal directly with you. 

NCL is paying my TA (not very much) to handle my reservations, not my questions or complaints.  If I wanted to upgrade my cabin, then yes I would call my TA to handle this.  For this issue it is so much easier (for me) to speak to NCL directly. 

1 minute ago, VtMac said:

Because NCL has NOT told me to do so in any sort of correspondence nor have they contacted my TA. All info is from being me being an online “research nerd”. I’ll likely cave in to the hysteria and have my TA do it to be on the safe side but think of the average cruiser. Most don’t peruse sites like this one and get this kind of data but yet they are granted access to their ship/flight. 

Just now, Fk3908 said:

Because NCL has NOT told me to do so in any sort of correspondence nor have they contacted my TA. All info is from being me being an online “research nerd”. I’ll likely cave in to the hysteria and have my TA do it to be on the safe side but think of the average cruiser. Most don’t peruse sites like this one and get this kind of data but yet they are granted access to their ship/flight. 

Fair enough.  Being ex military...I’m actually peeved this hasn’t happened long before now.  Paranoid for sure, but that be me.  Happy cruising amigo!  Hope you won’t be cruising next January and will be able to watch the NHL Winter Classic!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

NCL is paying my TA (not very much) to handle my reservations, not my questions or complaints.  If I wanted to upgrade my cabin, then yes I would call my TA to handle this.  For this issue it is so much easier (for me) to speak to NCL directly. 

I DID end up calling NCL on this and they passed me off to my TA, advising that they need to handle any middle name additions to the reservation. 

10 minutes ago, Fk3908 said:

I DID end up calling NCL on this and they passed me off to my TA, advising that they need to handle any middle name additions to the reservation. 

I called the NCL air department directly and a representative named Kiera spoke to me.  Her response was that airline tickets through NCL are always issued with first and last names only.  She said that we did provide our full legal names to NCL and that our full legal names, including our middle names, were added to the "TSA line".  So TSA has a record of our full legal names for these flights, even though the tickets may show our first and last name only.  

She assured me that I will not have any problems boarding my flights.  But, if for some reason I do have a problem.  Then this post on cruise critic is my proof that I did contact NCL.😊

16 hours ago, PyrHeaven said:

I manage a travel agency and can tell you that, even if your middle name is on your Passport, it is not required to show on your ticket. It IS however, required to be entered in the Secure Flight Passenger Data (AKA DOCS in the TA world). This is an entry behind the scenes and can be updated at any time at no cost to reflect the correct information.

It is best practice for your name to match exactly, including your middle name, but if you will lose your seats/cost you paid for them (unfortunately this is not uncommon, especially with international carriers), and NCL is not willing to correct, I would ensure EVA has correct information in your DOCS and not worry about it. You'll be fine!

So if NCL said that our tickets were issued with our first and last names only, but that our full names, including our middle names, were added to the "TSA line", is that the same thing as "DOCS"?

29 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

I called the NCL air department directly and a representative named Kiera spoke to me.  Her response was that airline tickets through NCL are always issued with first and last names only.  She said that we did provide our full legal names to NCL and that our full legal names, including our middle names, were added to the "TSA line".  So TSA has a record of our full legal names for these flights, even though the tickets may show our first and last name only.  

She assured me that I will not have any problems boarding my flights.  But, if for some reason I do have a problem.  Then this post on cruise critic is my proof that I did contact NCL.😊

Makes sense. I have PreTSA too and the info is already loaded into my airline bookings. 
 I tried to tell the NCL Rep that but she insisted that my TA had to call with any addition or “change” to the reservation. I’ll let my TA handle it. 

Where as I value all input...my "large" travel agency, that books dozens of flights and cruises a day, today said that the middle name thing is required for flights booked through the cruise line, that it's not required on the cruise documents for cruise only guests.  This "large' agency would be without customers if all of their customers were left standing on the dock as the ship sailed away.  This "large" travel agency's only job is to fully know the requirements for this type of travel.  And as others have mentioned, less than 10% of all cruisers are even on CC and it is very unlikely they will otherwise be aware of this discussion.  However, certainly, if you wish to be better safe than sorry, makes you feel more comfortable, well certainly do add a middle name.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lou33 said:

So if NCL said that our tickets were issued with our first and last names only, but that our full names, including our middle names, were added to the "TSA line", is that the same thing as "DOCS"?

Yes! That is correct.

We saw this, too.  Your booking is supposed to match whatever identification you are using to sail.  Our passports have our middle names.  We just called our agent & they had our middle names added by NCL.  What I thought was dumb is that there is no way for you to log into your NCL account and do this yourself.  That would have taken me about a minute.  As it was, it took a phone call to the agent, who had to call NCL to make the change.  Lots of wasted time there.