Aurora Speciality Restaurants

Elaine0138

Prices in the glass house are per item, but not expensive. The popular option seems to be 3 small plates from a large selection for about £6.

You can book the Beach House onboard, they usually have offers for the first evening of about 20% off. 

Have a great time,

Andy 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elaine0138 said:

Thanks Andy,  we will wait and book once we are onboard.

The price seem reasonable in the Beach House too

The Beach House is £7.50pp, plus some small surcharges of £2/3 for certain dishes.

We are not fans, but plenty of passengers enjoy it. 

Andy 

We invariably wait to book the "to pay for" restaurants because as Andy said there are usually discounts early in the cruise.  We also like to stroll by the restaurants and check the  menus because they are changed once or twice ( depending on the length of the cruise ) during the cruise.  We check the MDR menu which is displayed outside the MDR restaurants during the day and will go to one of the alternative restaurants if we are not keen on the MDR menu for the evening.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We invariably wait to book the "to pay for" restaurants because as Andy said there are usually discounts early in the cruise.  We also like to stroll by the restaurants and check the  menus because they are changed once or twice ( depending on the length of the cruise ) during the cruise.  We check the MDR menu which is displayed outside the MDR restaurants during the day and will go to one of the alternative restaurants if we are not keen on the MDR menu for the evening.

Sound advice Josy. 

It is definitely worth checking the menu's. 

The Beach House has just updated theirs, claiming 50% of new dishes. 

Andy 

We have booked a cruise on Aurora, but not until next year.  I knew there was an Indian restaurant, but I do not eat spicy food at night as it leaves me bad.  I did not realise there were others though. I thought the glass house was largely light bites - is this the case, or can it be used as a smaller meal in the evening (restaurant menus are always too big anyway IMO)?  Also what sort of venue is the Beach house?  Anything other than spicy could be of interest to us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tring said:

We have booked a cruise on Aurora, but not until next year.  I knew there was an Indian restaurant, but I do not eat spicy food at night as it leaves me bad.  I did not realise there were others though. I thought the glass house was largely light bites - is this the case, or can it be used as a smaller meal in the evening (restaurant menus are always too big anyway IMO)?  Also what sort of venue is the Beach house?  Anything other than spicy could be of interest to us.

The Glass House offers large plates too, more than adequate for an evening meal and is a nice break from the mdr. 

The Beach House is quite American, ribs, steaks, burgers, fajitas etc. A nice change again as it is different to mdr food, but not really our taste. 

Andy 

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

The Glass House offers large plates too, more than adequate for an evening meal and is a nice break from the mdr. 

The Beach House is quite American, ribs, steaks, burgers, fajitas etc. A nice change again as it is different to mdr food, but not really our taste. 

Andy 

That sounds good as an alternative to having to wait for Freedom dining if arrive at a busy time.  Do those venues need to be booked or are they, at least sometimes available on a walk in basis?

11 minutes ago, tring said:

That sounds good as an alternative to having to wait for Freedom dining if arrive at a busy time.  Do those venues need to be booked or are they, at least sometimes available on a walk in basis?

The Beach House can get busy, but we have always managed to walk in when needed and the Glasshouse never seems to get busy, so you should be OK. 

We often check the mdr menu after breakfast and then make a decision on where to eat for that evening. 

Andy 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

The Beach House can get busy, but we have always managed to walk in when needed and the Glasshouse never seems to get busy, so you should be OK. 

We often check the mdr menu after breakfast and then make a decision on where to eat for that evening. 

Andy 

Great, thanks a lot for that information Andy.  We have booked the Canada/US cruise which travels down the Eastern Seaboard to New York and back and there are a number of late nights/overnights, so will be good to just come in from port as we wish and be able to easily get into a sit down restaurant, rather than having to do a self service.  A number of sea days traveling two ways across the Atlantic as well, so for those and if been in port for a long day, chances are we would have had a decent lunch.

Thirty days of formal meals can get a bit tiresome and always feel rushed when on P&O freedom dining as well.  Also did not realise P&O put the evening menus up after breakfast, we have got more used to Fred in recent years and his do not go up until after lunch.

Tring...thoroughly recommend the Glass house on Aurora... never seems particulalrly busy but the food is lovely, and there is a good mix of small plates and “full size” plates. It is open on embarkation day too, but hardly anyone seems to realise it... much better than the buffet for a relaxing start to your cruise.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tring said:

Great, thanks a lot for that information Andy.  We have booked the Canada/US cruise which travels down the Eastern Seaboard to New York and back and there are a number of late nights/overnights, so will be good to just come in from port as we wish and be able to easily get into a sit down restaurant, rather than having to do a self service.  A number of sea days traveling two ways across the Atlantic as well, so for those and if been in port for a long day, chances are we would have had a decent lunch.

Thirty days of formal meals can get a bit tiresome and always feel rushed when on P&O freedom dining as well.  Also did not realise P&O put the evening menus up after breakfast, we have got more used to Fred in recent years and his do not go up until after lunch.

Oh jealous now... 

We want to do this itinerary but I struggle to get that amount of time off work, but working on it... 

Aurora is a lovely, laid back ship so am sure you will have a fantastic time. 

Andy 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh jealous now... 

We want to do this itinerary but I struggle to get that amount of time off work, but working on it... 

Aurora is a lovely, laid back ship so am sure you will have a fantastic time. 

Andy 

We have the time now as we are both 70 in the next few months and even DH has been retired for ten years (I left early but have been worth a fortune in cheap holidays ever since, due to the time I spend on holiday, especially cruise, websites).  However we are conscious that we are getting older and so do not have the amount of energy we had in younger years, so have had a very limited time to travel.  You are doing the right thing by travelling where you can now and there will be more time available later in life for the rest to be done.

In our younger days people with families did not have the cash to go on the sort of holidays often done now as it was normal for one parent to leave employment when children were born and it was never easy to get any sort of decent salary job after that, even if well educated (e.g. a graduate).  Not sure I would have liked to juggle a career at the same time as a family though, then I remember all the DIY we spent so long doing when our son will think nothing of paying to have people do things for him.  Time has changed a lot over not that many years and I can perhaps see advantages and disadvantages in both systems.

This Aurora one will be a biggy, but we feel very worth while as we will get a lot out of it and have treated ourselves to a balcony rather than just an inside or outside as is our norm, so we are very much looking forward to it.

Whatever you do and where ever you go, make the most of it all and make sure you do the more active things while still young enough to do so.     

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tring said:

We have the time now as we are both 70 in the next few months and even DH has been retired for ten years (I left early but have been worth a fortune in cheap holidays ever since, due to the time I spend on holiday, especially cruise, websites).  However we are conscious that we are getting older and so do not have the amount of energy we had in younger years, so have had a very limited time to travel.  You are doing the right thing by travelling where you can now and there will be more time available later in life for the rest to be done.

In our younger days people with families did not have the cash to go on the sort of holidays often done now as it was normal for one parent to leave employment when children were born and it was never easy to get any sort of decent salary job after that, even if well educated (e.g. a graduate).  Not sure I would have liked to juggle a career at the same time as a family though, then I remember all the DIY we spent so long doing when our son will think nothing of paying to have people do things for him.  Time has changed a lot over not that many years and I can perhaps see advantages and disadvantages in both systems.

This Aurora one will be a biggy, but we feel very worth while as we will get a lot out of it and have treated ourselves to a balcony rather than just an inside or outside as is our norm, so we are very much looking forward to it.

Whatever you do and where ever you go, make the most of it all and make sure you do the more active things while still young enough to do so.     

Thank you Tring, very sound advice. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Thank you for starting this thread Elaine, I have found everyones contributions very helpful as we are on Aurora for the first time in April too. I have put Sindhu and The Glass House on  our wish list! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CC71 said:

Thank you for starting this thread Elaine, I have found everyones contributions very helpful as we are on Aurora for the first time in April too. I have put Sindhu and The Glass House on  our wish list! 

It is good to get some info on things like this. We will give Sindhu a miss but will visit the others.

21 hours ago, Mysticalmother said:

Tring...thoroughly recommend the Glass house on Aurora... never seems particulalrly busy but the food is lovely, and there is a good mix of small plates and “full size” plates. It is open on embarkation day too, but hardly anyone seems to realise it... much better than the buffet for a relaxing start to your cruise.

Hi Mysticalmother

Do you mean the Glasshouse is open for lunch on embarkation day.

6 hours ago, Mysticalmother said:

Yes..open at lunch time....sorry if that wasn’t clear. 
we both had a delightful bowl of risotto for lunch on embarkation in November! 

That sounds just our sort of thing too, we plan to try The Glass House for our embarkation lunch as we are not really buffet fans.