Asking a Taxi Driver for a 2 hour tour?

skatie

We've toured San Juan old town on our last cruise and was disappointed when they changed our itinerary this time from a St. Thomas stop to San Juan, so I'm looking for something else to do....  I'd like to venture out a bit, but I've heard there are no good beach stops nearby.  Last cruise I heard from other passengers that they just hopped a taxi at end of pier and asked for a tour around the area - have others done this?  If so, where do we ask to go?  what is of interest to see?  Can we stop for pictures, shopping etc?  Any idea what would a 2 hour taxi tour cost for four people?  Would Uber drivers do this too or stick with taxi?   Thanks!  Jo

We don't do much taxi touring but Isla Verde has a pretty good beach and it's close.  It's an urban beach and the sand and water aren't quite as nice as Carlisle Bay on Barbados, for instance.  It's wide and long though with food and booze along the way.  Weekends can be busy but during the week it is pretty empty.

• Like 2

I was going to suggest the Isla Verde beach, too.  At the far end, there is a water sports company with jet skis, parasailing, etc.  It seems like a popular local beach and we went on a weekend day last year (Sunday, I believe), and even though it was crowded, we didn't feel like people were in our space.  The water was nice and it was fairly shallow walking out into the water where we were at (no steep drop offs).  I'm not sure what else to see in the area, we usually do OSJ when we have part of a day in San Juan.  You could try to go to the rainforest to see something different.  I'm sure a taxi driver or an uber driver would be happy to give a tour for you, but I have no idea what they would charge for it since they usually have flat rates to/from certain areas of town.  When we stayed overnight in Puerto Rico, we hit the local supermarket and Walmart.  It's fun to find some snacks and drinks that we don't have in the US (my fave is Sour Cream and Onion Doritos, my husband loved the rum punch juice boxes - like Capri Sun but for grown ups!).