RCL Booking Question - No Show?

Hi All - I am booked on a 5 night cruise (my husband and I and our 2 kids). The kids sail free on this particular cruise, so we got a great deal.(Just under $1,000 for the 4 of us)

My mom now wants to join and book with a friend, but the rate for just her and another adult is over double than a family of 4 in the same size cabin. (Around $2,000 for 2 adults)

What would happen if she booked for herself and her friend, and her two other grandchildren(and got our same rate)... but then the grandchildren weren't able to go(last minute)? Hypothetically asking.... lol

OR do you find that the sales change a lot and that possibly next week the price for 2 adults in one cabin will be a lot less but a family of 4 could be the more expensive one? Trying to decide if we just wait it out and keep checking or if there is a way around it... 

Thanks!

Not sure I understand how the same category stateroom can be less expensive for 4 people than for 2 people.

In any case, if there are no shows, then the taxes will automatically be refunded to the credit card used to pay them.

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Not sure I understand how the same category stateroom can be less expensive for 4 people than for 2 people.

In any case, if there are no shows, then the taxes will automatically be refunded to the credit card used to pay them.

It's crazy but it's more expensive. I talked to the RCL rep and they agreed it doesn't make sense but is the deal they are running right now(beneficial to kids sail free, but not really a deal for 2 adults).  

That's interesting about the taxes.. and I guess there is no penalty for 2 people out of 4 in a cabin now showing up?

10 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I dont think it would be the same category. Same cabin type yes but there are usually different categories for 2 vs 3 or 4 and different prices. 

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I dont think it would be the same category. Same cabin type yes but there are usually different categories for 2 vs 3 or 4 and different prices. 

If you do a simple search on expedia for the Cruise I am going on Feb 22nd out of Tampa on the Brilliance and price out 2 adults and 2 kids for the guaranteed inside cabin and then 2 adults(no children) for the exact same guaranteed inside cabin - check out the price difference - I even called RCL to confirm it was true... 

12 minutes ago, PinkSand26 said:

That's interesting about the taxes.. and I guess there is no penalty for 2 people out of 4 in a cabin now showing up?

Yes, there is a penalty, you would lose the fares for those two people not showing up.  However if those 2 people are cruising for "free" via KSF, then there's no fare to lose.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, there is a penalty, you would lose the fares for those two people not showing up.  However if those 2 people are cruising for "free" via KSF, then there's no fare to lose.

Thanks!