Advice - Getting Wine Chilled

wdw1972

I'm booked on the 3/28 Nieuw Amsterdam, and will most likely pre-book dinner at Canaletto for embarkation day.  I'll also be booking Tamarind for later in the cruise, and repeating one of them near the end.  I'd like to bring a bottle of wine on board to enjoy at these dinners (and pay the corkage fee), but I drink white wine and am a stickler for it needing to be COLD.  Since it'll be room temp when I board, how should I go about passing it off to someone who will get it chilled and ready to be retrieved by my dinner that first night?  Should I go to Canaletto, or just hunt down any beverage steward up at the Lido, or do something else entirely?  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sue/WDW1972

1 minute ago, wdw1972 said:

I'm booked on the 3/28 Nieuw Amsterdam, and will most likely pre-book dinner at Canaletto for embarkation day.  I'll also be booking Tamarind for later in the cruise, and repeating one of them near the end.  I'd like to bring a bottle of wine on board to enjoy at these dinners (and pay the corkage fee), but I drink white wine and am a stickler for it needing to be COLD.  Since it'll be room temp when I board, how should I go about passing it off to someone who will get it chilled and ready to be retrieved by my dinner that first night?  Should I go to Canaletto, or just hunt down any beverage steward up at the Lido, or do something else entirely?  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sue/WDW1972

Sue, are you doing fixed dining in the MDR?  If so you can give it to your wine steward - it will be chilled and you can ask them to send it to the Canaletto.

If not, I’d bring it to the Lido bar and ask them to chill it and tag it and then just tell the Canaletto it’s there.  You can then ask them to forward it to the Tamarind.

Or, if you are not going to the Canaletto the first night, take it to them and ask them to hold it for you for dining night.

And I agree white wine has to be properly chilled 🙂 

I’ve never had a problem doing this.  They will track down your bottle of wine but if it closer it saves time and makes it easy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sue, are you doing fixed dining in the MDR?  If so you can give it to your wine steward - it will be chilled and you can ask them to send it to the Canaletto.

If not, I’d bring it to the Lido bar and ask them to chill it and tag it and then just tell the Canaletto it’s there.  You can then ask them to forward it to the Tamarind.

Or, if you are not going to the Canaletto the first night, take it to them and ask them to hold it for you for dining night.

And I agree white wine has to be properly chilled 🙂 

I’ve never had a problem doing this.  They will track down your bottle of wine but if it closer it saves time and makes it easy.

Thanks so much for the reply.  No, I don't do the MDR...haven't for years.  I will be booking either Canaletto or Tamarind for the first night - there's no happy hour that day, usually no regular shows, so it's the perfect night for a leisurely dinner.  Most likely it'll be Canaletto.  I didn't think of the Lido Bar, but that's an excellent idea.  I just know I want it put into the refrigeration area as soon as I board, which should be around 11:30.  That way it'll be cold by dinner (6-7pm).  I also order a glass of ice "on the side", as it keeps the glass of wine cold and I'd rather have it slightly watered down than slightly warm, even if it looks tacky 😉  

Sue/WDW1972

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

Sue/WDW1972

For the first night, I would stop by one of the bars and ask for a wine bucket (or bucket o beer plastic bucket) filled with ice and just take back to cabin and chill it there then take the chilled bottle to dinner.  We have also called room service for a wine bucket with ice and a couple of glasses.

Enjoy 🥂

Also,  when you board, ask your room steward for a wine bucket w/ice and you are good to go for dinner that night. They can also find you a corkscrew if you want to start the sail away party in your stateroom.

Smooth sailing......

• Like 1