Port or Starboard for Seaview Med cruise?

aprilF

We have a choice between a deck 15 Port or deck 14 Starboard Whirlpool balcony cabin for an upcoming cruise, right now we have reservations for both.  We booked the deck 15 cabin awhile ago and then went to the future cruises desk last month to see if we could do better cost wise, thinking I could rebook the same cabin then.  In any case I couldnt do that so I needed a new booking and I am wondering which is the better room to keep and why people feel that way.

Been on so many cruises in the Med but I really can´t tell which side is better. I guess aft cabins give you the best views. But certainly I would totally prefer the experience of Whirlpool cabins no matter where on the ship they are located.

17 hours ago, aprilF said:

We have a choice between a deck 15 Port or deck 14 Starboard Whirlpool balcony cabin for an upcoming cruise, right now we have reservations for both.  We booked the deck 15 cabin awhile ago and then went to the future cruises desk last month to see if we could do better cost wise, thinking I could rebook the same cabin then.  In any case I couldnt do that so I needed a new booking and I am wondering which is the better room to keep and why people feel that way.

The obvious answer is to ask if you have any sea days   and if so which direction you are sailing on that day.

If it is east to west, then port side will have the sunshine and starboard shade all day. if it is west to east then the reverse applies.

Heading north to south port side will have sunny morning and starboard sunny afternoon. the reverse for south to north.

If that doesn't apply to your cruise and if you are  on circuit of the western med; a clockwise circuit will have views of the coastline from the port side; maybe at some distance away, and mostly evening and night times, as you are docked in the .daytime.

hope this helps somewhat

Edited by Skier52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skier52 said:

The obvious answer is to ask if you have any sea days   and if so which direction you are sailing on that day.

Thank you.  No sea days for us and it is a clockwise ish route starting in Rome.

So you are close enough to see the coastline when sailing a good bit of the time?  Hmmm, I think Id rather enjoy that. 

1 hour ago, aprilF said:

Thank you.  No sea days for us and it is a clockwise ish route starting in Rome.

So you are close enough to see the coastline when sailing a good bit of the time?  Hmmm, I think Id rather enjoy that. 

Close enough to see the towns lights and light houses on a fair amount of the cruise. remember that these will clash with dinner times most days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, APDMOM said:

If it will further help... Starboard is the smoking side on deck 8.  I doubt it would be a problem that high up (deck 14/15), but just so you know. 🙂

Thank you.  I was wondering if anyone thought that smoke would be an issue that many decks removed from the official smoking deck.  Although, I am now wondering if smokers might be more likely to book the starboard side so that their "illegal" smoking blends in a bit.  Probably overthinking it.  LOL

2 hours ago, Skier52 said:

Close enough to see the towns lights and light houses on a fair amount of the cruise. remember that these will clash with dinner times most days

In my mind I have pictures of us unwinding in the hot tub after a long day at port.  At first I was just thinking wed be staring into the darkness but now the picture of charming towns and lighthouses sounds pretty nice.  With the right atmosphere we may be inclined to do that instead of going to dinner in the dining room.  ;)

Thanks again for your input.