Bringing food onboard for kids

I tried the search and it doesnt like me! lol. I have never brought food or drinks on board, but I am bringing my 4 year old twins on their first cruise. They are going to need their familiar snacks and drinks (goldfish, juice boxes, pouches... standard kid fare). I wasn't planning on bringing more than a backpack onboard, but the rccl website says it must be in carryon. How does this work?

If you put the food in a checked bag, that bag may be detained by security.  You would be called down to open the bag so they can inspect the contents.  Just a hassle, but you ought to be OK.

• Like 1

I have taken several snacks - goldfish, granola bars, trail mix, squeeze applesauce - in my checked luggage for kids.    I have not brought juice boxes as my kids drank practically only water so i just brought kids cups so not sure how that would go.  

One thing I would highly recommend is to bring zipper ziploc bags and some disposable Tupperware - I often brought full size bags of goldfish vs snack size and grabbed cereal boxes from the windjammer in the morning which made for great on the go finger snacks in our room later!  (They ate it dry!)

When I first took my toddler I did the same.  I loaded up on snacks including the individual goldfish bags, some pretzels, etc. and took them in my carryon.  I wanted it with me so that I had some options on me in case the luggage was late.  

3 hours ago, Raenstoirm said:

I tried the search and it doesnt like me! lol. I have never brought food or drinks on board, but I am bringing my 4 year old twins on their first cruise. They are going to need their familiar snacks and drinks (goldfish, juice boxes, pouches... standard kid fare). I wasn't planning on bringing more than a backpack onboard, but the rccl website says it must be in carryon. How does this work?

As others have said, factory sealed packages of food are fine -- but they must still be sealed if you want to take them off the ship for excursions, etc. They can go in your checked luggage, no problem. Where you may have a problem, however is bringing drinks on. Check the website for what exactly what you're allowed to bring, I don't think juice boxes are on the list. You can bring on, in your carry-on luggage up to I believe 12 17 oz bottles of soda or water. I just don't think you can bring on juice boxes

We bring the few snacks we have leftover from our travel to port. We are talking nuts, pretzels, licorice or more, all in small zip lock bags and NOT in factory sealed packages. We’ve  put the Ziploc bags either in our suitcase or our carry-on and have never, on numerous cruises, had any problem.

We rarely take food off the ship  but one time did take the small  Ziploc bag of pretzels with no problem.  I don’t remember the port, but I’m guessing it was not Cozumel as they were very strict

Every now and then we pick up some interesting (NON fresh fruit/vegs/meat etc) snack in port and bring it back on and have never even been questioned. 

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the “factory sealed“ statement. But then again, I haven’t read the cruise documents cover to cover.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1