Strong earthquake strikes Puerto Rico, damage reported

Tony O

23 hours ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

the best way you can help our island is to come visit and enjoy your vacation here.  It is perfectly safe and we won't charge you extra for the "earthquake experience". 🙂

Part of the reason I was glad I'm now sailing from Puerto Rico instead of to Miami (my booked cruise was cancelled and this is a rebooking so I get a break from winter year) is that I am happy to leave vacation dollars in PR. Hopefully my trip won't get off to a 'too shaky' start!

Of course, first things, first - I have to get there with winter air-travel challenges which are probably more likely to disrupt my holiday than the tremors. 

• Like 1

Got to Ponce yesterday. Thank god, so far we have not seen significant damage. MIL’s home is in SW Ponce, and is reasonably close to the main group of shocks. 

Other than previous crack repairs showing cracks, the house is great. As are all of the homes and buildings near us. 

The newspaper has some pictures of damage on some historic brick buildings, and we hope to head to the downtown plaza before we go. And plan a trip to the port area for the sake of it. Some of the freeway 52 is closed, so getting around is still tough. 

West of us has been declared a major disaster area, so no plan to visit and just be in the way. 

still feeling earthquakes, though, which is interesting. The house is really strong to all of those movements, thank god. 

Another update- just went to the Ponce Plaza- some superficial damage, which has closed off some areas, but its not too bad there. We heard from a bartender that the cathedral will open later this week. 

still can’t say that cruises will stop. The port area where ships port looks ok, but the boardwalk area near there is closed- we could not get into the area to look. 

For sure, the area with the best beaches was very damaged. 

Hope you can all visit, soon. Or at least buy some Don Q rum, which is made here. 

1 minute ago, alfaeric said:

Another update- just went to the Ponce Plaza- some superficial damage, which has closed off some areas, but its not too bad there. We heard from a bartender that the cathedral will open later this week. 

still can’t say that cruises will stop. The port area where ships port looks ok, but the boardwalk area near there is closed- we could not get into the area to look. 

Hope you can all visit, soon. Or at least buy some Don Q rum, which is made here. 

We will be there March 6th and stay in Old San Juan for 2 days before the cruise. how did that area manage with the quake. 

54 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

We will be there March 6th and stay in Old San Juan for 2 days before the cruise. how did that area manage with the quake. 

As far as I know, there was no effect at all. They would have not known if not for the news. 

San Juan is on the opposite side of the island from the quakes. 

3 hours ago, alfaeric said:

As far as I know, there was no effect at all. They would have not known if not for the news. 

San Juan is on the opposite side of the island from the quakes. 

Thank you, this will be our first visit to San Juan and looking forward to our stay before our B2B

5 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Howdy alfaeric,

Glad things are well at your MIL's place.  Thanks for the update on Ponce.  How is Hwy 52 from the port to the airport?  Our plan is to take a taxi to the airport to pick up a rental car and drive out Hwy 10.

Thanks

ddaz

PS:  You missed 4 to 7 inches of very wet and heavy snow, followed by misty rain today.  ❄️❄️❄️

9 hours ago, ddaz said:

Howdy alfaeric,

Glad things are well at your MIL's place.  Thanks for the update on Ponce.  How is Hwy 52 from the port to the airport?  Our plan is to take a taxi to the airport to pick up a rental car and drive out Hwy 10.

Thanks

ddaz

PS:  You missed 4 to 7 inches of very wet and heavy snow, followed by misty rain today.  ❄️❄️❄️

I’m hoping the warm up clears the snow before we get back tomorrow....

52 from 12 East is open, assuming that’s the direction you head to the airport- which it will be since getting there from 123 is not straight. The part of 52 that is closed is west of that exit, but the papers are saying it will be open in a couple of weeks. 

Assuming you are heading up to Adjuntas on 10, that’s all fine. 

Before we leave, one more update. While the local damage in Ponce isn’t too bad, if the shaking continues, I really doubt ships will stop here. 

last night there were 3 quakes over 4.0, which is rather unnerving when you are trying to sleep. 

On 1/19/2020 at 8:10 AM, alfaeric said:

I’m hoping the warm up clears the snow before we get back tomorrow....

52 from 12 East is open, assuming that’s the direction you head to the airport- which it will be since getting there from 123 is not straight. The part of 52 that is closed is west of that exit, but the papers are saying it will be open in a couple of weeks. 

Assuming you are heading up to Adjuntas on 10, that’s all fine. 

Howdy alfaeric,

Thanks for the heads-up on the road conditions.  Yup, we are heading up towards Adjuntas on 10.

As for the warm weather clearing up the snow, with a high of only 23 degrees, I don't think that will happen.  Have a safe flight back home!

Just a distant observational update- been keeping track of the earthquakes, and they have dropped off quite a bit.  At one point, there were just 6 in the past 24 hours, all of them pretty small.  It comes and goes, but for sure the rate has dropped off.

Also, I happened to catch a few Youtube channels where they have documented damage in Guanica- and IMHO, it's a LOT less than I thought it would be.  Yes, there are a couple of homes and business that have totally collapsed.  And the old church and newer school that are really bad.

BUT.  IMHO, it's not nearly as bad as I had thought it would be- I was expecting to see every other home with walls down and whatnot.  The reality is that most homes are ok, and appear to be livable.  Not to say that residents are ok with moving back in- they are still very spooked, and I fully get that.

My point, though, is that my thinking that there's no chance of a cruise to stop in Ponce may be very off.  And I honestly hope I'm wrong, and anyone porting in Ponce will get to stop and have a great time!

23 hours ago, alfaeric said:

My point, though, is that my thinking that there's no chance of a cruise to stop in Ponce may be very off.  And I honestly hope I'm wrong, and anyone porting in Ponce will get to stop and have a great time!

Which cruises/ships port in Ponce?  Sorry for the hijack...