Naples Self Tour with Kids?

mtcruise10

Next July my family and I will be in Naples. We have two boys ages 8 and 10. The cruise excursions are too pricey so I'm trying to find ways to do it myself. Here are some things I'm thinking about but would love some help from people who have done this before. 

-Pompeii: my kids are interested in this. I know it will be hot, but I think they would find it interesting. I've heard Herculeum is better preserved, but I'm worried on picking that over Pompeii given it's just more famous. Thoughts? I've also heard we could travel there by bus or train...looking for a good mix between saving money but not being crammed into someplace overcrowded/hot (someone told me one of the trains was too overcrowded)

-Underground Naples Tour: I've read mixed reviews on this

-Sorrento: Is it worth going with kids? I'm sure wouldn't mind another place offering gelato but not sure what else there is to do there for us. 

Any other ideas?

I would recommend Pompeii over Herculaneum. Much more to see. Take an umbrella to shield the sun. I would also recommend using a guide there as they can make it much more interesting.

We really like Sorrento. Nice place for lunch and views. There is a shop that sells inlaid wood music boxes that we visit each time. 

We would combine a trip to both, with Pompeii early to avoid the hottest part of the day.

Edited by rdt10

Pompeii would be my choice - it will be hot in July so if you choose this option, wear hats, sunscreen & take water. You can reach Pompeii by both train or bus and both are inexpensive options. We have always used the circumvesuviana train but one can also take the SITA bus which is located at Immacolatella Vecchia, just a short walk from the cruise terminal.

Edited by dogs4fun

You have several economical ways to reach Pompei on your own from the cruise port.

• The least expensive is the public SITA bus, which departs from Varco Immacolatella, 500 meters/three-tenths of a mile on foot from the cruise port.  The bus leaves you two-tenths of a mile from the main (Porta Marina) entrance to the ruins and the trip takes 45 minutes and costs 2,80 euro per person.  Note that this bus does not run on Sundays.  It departs Naples at 8 AM and arrives to Pompei at 8:45, schedule here:  https://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/archivio/Download/corse/sitasud/Campania/Salerno/ea8c2604-d4c8-4dbd-82e5-3057d40ccf33_5001_2019.pdf/0
  • The next option, in terms of price, is the local Circumvesuviana train.  The station, Porta Nolana, is 2 km/one and a third miles from the cruise port so most people take a bus to the station, which you can get on the street right in front of the cruise port.  IF you can find a newsstand that sells the Integrato ticket you can use this one ticket for both the bus and the train fare (it costs 3,50 euro).  If you can't you'll need to buy a local Naples bus ticket (1,10 euro) to get you to Porta Nolana and a train ticket (2,80 euro).  It's a small hassle but still a great bargain.  The bus ride takes about 15 minutes, plus waiting time for the bus.  The train ride takes 40 minutes, plus waiting time between the bus and the train.  The Pompei Scavi train station is just around the corner from the Porta Marina entrance to the ruins.  The bus you need from the cruise port to the Porta Marina Circumvesuviana station is the # 151:  http://www.anm.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2423&Itemid=260  The train is the Circumvesuviana Naples-Sorrento line, schedule here:  https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/ORARI%20NAPOLI%20SORRENTO_Orari%20in%20vigore.pdf
  • The next option is the Campania Express tourist train.  This is run by the same company as the Circumvesuviana but you are guaranteed seats (the regular Circumvesuviana is generally standing room only), the AC works (not the case with the local train, with doors open at stops every few minutes and gross overcrowding the AC simply can't keep up) and the pickpockets are almost non-existent due to ticket control and lack of an exit strategy (few stops, no way to get away after the deed is done).  On the other hand, there are only a handful of runs each day and you still have to take the bus to get to the station.  The train ride takes a little more than a half hour and the fare in 2019 (2020 fares haven't been posted yet) was 6 euro.  Campania Express 2019 schedule here:  https://www.eavsrl.it/web/content/campania-express-2019
  • The next option isn't public transportation, it's private, but straddles the line between the two.  This is the City Sightseeing shuttle bus.  You get it from the parking lot in front of the cruise port, you can buy your ticket ahead of time on line, you are guaranteed a seat, the AC works and the bus makes only two other stops in Naples before going directly to Pompei.  The round trip fare is 15 euro for adults or 8 euro for kids up to 17 years old (the public transit options do not have child fares).  Info here:  https://www.city-sightseeing.it/en/shuttle-bus-naples-pompeii/
  • Finally, there is the taxi option.  Naples has a robust fixed-fare system for taxis and there is one for Pompei.  There will be hundreds of taxis in the lot in front of the port as you exit the ship.  The round trip fare, for up to five people, is 100 euro.  This allows you a two-hour visit to the site, which is about the length of a guided tour.  You can negotiate with the driver for extra time.  A downloadable chart of the fixed taxi fares can be found on the city of Naples web site here:  http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/1193

I think that pretty much covers the budget options.  Personally, I would go with the City Sightseeing shuttle bus in your situation, with kids, and I'd book it in advance.  My second choice would be the SITA bus because it's so close to the port, you're pretty much guaranteed a seat and the AC works.

I will add my vote for doing Pompeii. I would plan to get there as early as possible to avoid the worst of the heat and crowds. I agree that picking up one of the 2 hour tours at the gate might be a good use of your time. I remember traveling with my son at those ages and seems to me he was much more willing to listen to someone else explain things than "mom".  :classic_wacko:  

I'm not sure Sorrento has much to offer for kids. (Frankly, I struggle to find much of interest there as an adult -- the restaurants I've eaten at were fairly uninspired, and I am not a shopper.)  Add to that the fact that much of Sorrento closes in early afternoon for a "siesta" period and may not fully get going again until around 3pm, I think it may be more interesting to return to Naples and go to one of the "real" Neopolitan pizzerias. 

I agree with Cruisemom about Sorrento but if you're just looking for a gelato and a stroll around a nice, relatively clean tourist town, Sorrento fits the bill.  You can get there from Pompei by the Circumvesuviana train, then take the ferry back to Naples.  The ferry ride is faster than the train (by a half hour or more) and arrives right next to the cruise port so you don't have the hassle of a metro or bus ride back to the port from the station.

Thank you for the thorough tips! Pompeii sounds like a good bet. I think the kids will enjoy some freedom to run around and check it all out. Plus they've been reading books about it 🙂 SITA bus seems like a good option. I google earthed the Immacolatella Vecchia and still am worried I won't understand where the bus is and/or how to read the schedule you provided. I'm working on studying Italian now 😉 SITA would save money but maybe the City Sightseeing bus could be a better option. Both appear that they only offer more limited return options in the afternoon. Do you think we would need 5-6 hours in Pompeii? If we get done is there anywhere around Pompeii to hang out prior to bus coming?

The SITA bus schedule won't change but the City Sightseeing shuttle might add more runs during the summer season, you'll need to check again closer to your travel time.

Even deeply interested visitors will tire of Pompei in the July heat, so if you get there by 9 AM I suspect you'll be ready to move on by noon or 1 PM.

If you use the SITA bus going you can come back on the Circumvesuviana, which offers you the most time options.  Another option that most tourists don't know about, and it's therefore A LOT less crowded, is the Circumvesuviana from the Pompei Santuario station.  This station is a short walk (about a half mile) from the Anfiteatro entrance/exit to the ruins, so if you arrange your visit downhill, exiting at Anfiteatro, you can catch a relatively uncrowded train back to Naples.

The Pompei Santuario station is on the Naples - Poggiomarino line, the schedule is here:  https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/ORARI NAPOLI-POGGIOMARINO_Orari in vigore dal 1 dicembre 2019_0.pdf