Connecting Staterooms on The Gem

Broons77

I looked through the Cabin Info sticky, as well as on YouTube, photos on CC, and on the NCL site, all to no avail.  I think these are valid questions to fixate on 9 months out from our sailing.  My family thinks otherwise and has been making fun of me.

We're on the Gem in August in connecting balcony cabins.  Can someone describe (or post a pic if you have one) where the connecting door is located?  Based on the layout of the regular balcony cabin, I'm assuming it's across from the foot of the bed but that looks too tight of a space for the door to swing open.  Also, do the dividers between balconies open?

Edited by Broons77

• 1 month later...

I'm curious as to what you booked for rooms on this cruise. I am considering the GEM out of Boston in June 2021 with the family which gets complicated when the kids are now also young adults. So the ages would be m56, f46, m25, m22, f18, m16, f14. So we could get two connecting rooms (3 girls together, 4 boys together) or get three rooms, 3 boys, 2 girls, and me and my wife. I know I need to consult with NCL which I will do. I was just on a Holland Cruise last week, just the two of us, and it was tremendous so next time I want to take the family before they are all out doing there own thing. Feedback on your GEM experience would be great

NCL requires at least one person in each cabin be 21+. You can still do the 3 cabins, but would have to list one of your older boys on the third room. We have it booked as myself and my stepdaughter in cabin 1 and my fiancée and my stepdaughter's friends in cabin 2. We'll just swap rooms when we get on board.

The connecting doors between stateroom is very similar, if not identical, to the setup for the Gem's oceanview cabins - about midway along the long sidewall - opposite side of the bed/headboard ... there is just enough space, it is not a "wide" door.  See pictures in linked below posts for an idea - on a somewhat related Gem question. 

As for balcony dividers, no - they do not and can no longer be opened, for fire safety reasons, per NCL policies. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2732841-gem-ocean-view-cabin-recommendations-for-deck-5/?tab=comments#comment-59367303

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, shocker_bill said:

I'm curious as to what you booked for rooms on this cruise. I am considering the GEM out of Boston in June 2021 with the family which gets complicated when the kids are now also young adults. So the ages would be m56, f46, m25, m22, f18, m16, f14. So we could get two connecting rooms (3 girls together, 4 boys together) or get three rooms, 3 boys, 2 girls, and me and my wife. I know I need to consult with NCL which I will do. I was just on a Holland Cruise last week, just the two of us, and it was tremendous so next time I want to take the family before they are all out doing there own thing. Feedback on your GEM experience would be great

On our last cruise on the gem, the kids were 14, 14, 16, 18 and 20 (3 girls, 2 boys) and we had 2 connecting balconies. As we’ve don3 for previous cruises, 4 kids in 1 cabin, 1 kid on our couch, we keep the door open. My kids are very easy going and never argue, and honestly some of the best times on our cruises are waking up together, trying to get ready (I’d assign shower times, girls first), because at that time, 2 of them were away at college. My youngest are now 17, and I wouldn’t do it any other way.

I remember the door was by the vanity, kind of in the middle?

Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate the feedback as my investigation continues. What I should have pointed out is that we are a newly mixed family meaning the boys are mine and the girls are Natasha's (my fiance) so they aren't related so no way to put them in the same room together like as if they were siblings. This is why I was thinking of a room for me an my boys and a room for Natasha and her girls. That would mean a room for 4 and a room for 3. It wouldn't be exactly perfect for Nat and I but at least it makes sense. I'm also a believer, the room is to sleep so we don't need all sorts of space.